Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Kid with cast  (Read 1045 times)

• Liked: 46
Kid with cast
« on: September 20, 2016, 06:31:41 PM »
So I'm on day 57 ( business days ) of waiting for my visa.  My kid broke his foot and had to get a cast today :( The doctor said its on for 4-6 weeks.  I'm guessing we'll be moving over with it.  Anyone else have a similar issue before?  How will I go about getting this removed shortly after we move over if he still has it on? I'm guessing registering with a gp right when we get over.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Kid with cast
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 07:21:17 PM »
Will he be allowed to fly with it?  I would think it might not be okay due to swelling in flight...   :-\\\\

Check with his doctor.

Registering with a GP can take a bit of time.  You have to get an item of mail with your address on it, have your BRPs, and go through paperwork and then wait for them to enter it all into the system.

I would think a local injuries unit would be better.  Hopefully it won't have to be an A&E thing.

• Liked: 46
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 08:19:48 PM »
One of the first things that I asked was can he fly with it.  The doctor said it was fine.  Its a very small break that they could barely see.  Im hoping they take it off in 4 weeks and say its fine.  I think we still have a week or two before we hear on the visas due to the ridiculous long wait right now.  Then two weeks after we can do flights.   So hopefully itll get removed before we move.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 11:37:55 PM »
You may have to get the cast split before he can fly due to the possibility of the limb swelling due to cabin pressure. I flew to the US and back with a broken wrist and had to do this. Please seek (different?) expert advice  :)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 01:03:11 AM »
Can you get it taken off before you come over here? Here, a young child will have a cast on for around 2 weeks (yes, I know it seems so short, but kids heal quick).

• Liked: 342
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
If the cast is still on when he arrives in the UK, for NHS England, it can be dealt with by an MIU (minor injuries unit) or UCC (urgent care centre). If your son is young, you will have to check if they can treat young children.

"Some MIUs, UCCs and walk-in centres do not have facilities to treat young children. This depends on the capacity, resources or skill levels available at the departments. Contact your local MIU, UCC or walk-in centre in advance if you are not sure whether you or your child can be treated there.

Minor injuries units and urgent care centres can treat:

sprains and strains
    broken bones
    wound infections
    minor burns and scalds
    minor head injuries
    insect and animal bites
    minor eye injuries
    injuries to the back, shoulder and chest

If there is not a minor injuries unit in your area, these services will also be provided by an A&E department.

Minor injuries units and urgent care centres cannot treat:

chest pain
    breathing difficulties
    major injuries
    problems usually dealt with by a GP
    stomach pains
    gynaecological problems
    pregnancy problems
    allergic reactions
    overdoses
    alcohol related problems
    mental health problems
    conditions likely to require hospital admission"

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/Minorinjuriesunit.aspx

If you are going to be living in one of the other 3 countries in the UK, you will need to look this up on their own NHS site.

Find MIU services
http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Minor%20injuries%20unit/LocationSearch/551
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:40:35 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab