Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Australian family visa issues  (Read 757 times)

• Liked: 537
Australian family visa issues
« on: September 21, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-37421599?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

Have you guys seen this? I am so confused as to why this is even news worthy.

This sort of thing is going on all over the UK right now. What made them so special?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4987
Re: Australian family visa issues
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 01:24:39 PM »
Ugh, things like this do upset me a bit.  I would not begrudge anyone the ability to remain with their family but let's face it:

1.  They're white
2.  They are native English speakers
3.  That makes them the "right kind" of immigrant

These are not my personal feelings towards immigration (duh!), but very evident in MANY people's opinions.  I say that based on the many times people have had conversations with me about immigrants and I point out that I am one and get the, "Oh, you're not THAT kind of immigrant."  Ummm, I'm EXACTLY "that kind" of immigrant.

Ugh, I'm annoyed now!   ::)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »
Ugh, things like this do upset me a bit.  I would not begrudge anyone the ability to remain with their family but let's face it:

1.  They're white
2.  They are native English speakers
3.  That makes them the "right kind" of immigrant

These are not my personal feelings towards immigration (duh!), but very evident in MANY people's opinions.  I say that based on the many times people have had conversations with me about immigrants and I point out that I am one and get the, "Oh, you're not THAT kind of immigrant."  Ummm, I'm EXACTLY "that kind" of immigrant.

Ugh, I'm annoyed now!   ::)

I'm glad I'm not the only one... they were given extensions so they could stay in the country while she was looking for employment! How many other people would get that opportunity?

"We gave them a number of extensions on an exceptional basis to allow them to try to secure a job that would allow them to meet the Immigration Rules.'

All because she didn't keep an eye on changes being made to the visa she was hoping to use. They have no real reason for staying in the UK other than they want to. I'm really disappointed in governmental bodies right now.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:25:19 PM »
Oh I posted about this a while back. This is a very local to me family and I was absolutely raging about it all. 
I've posted on various facebook posts about it (local people, friends) and I've really gotten myself hurled with all kinds of insults from their friends (not my friends).  People who know jack sh*t about immigration.   So I've bitten my tongue now that this 'good news' is coming up. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 344
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one... they were given extensions so they could stay in the country while she was looking for employment! How many other people would get that opportunity?

Quite a few. Mainly it is done by abusing the system: putting in for a visa they can't get, then appealing when they are correctly denied, then appealing to the upper tribunal when that is denied: then putting in again for anything, appeal that refusal ......... anything to stay in the UK and keep their 3c of the Immigration laws, running (legal stay). Which is why the Immigration Act 2016 has stopped that but unfortunately, it will also catch out some genuine people who make a mistake on their application as they too will only be allowed to appeal from outside the UK.

All because she didn't keep an eye on changes being made to the visa she was hoping to use. They have no real reason for staying in the UK other than they want to. I'm really disappointed in governmental bodies right now.

That PSW visa that she said she wanted, was closed before she came to the UK and never lead to settlement. it was just a 2 year work visa for those that no employer wanted to sponsor.

TBF, there were lots of easy routes to ILR in the late 90s and up to 2010. Many visas holders coming to the UK back then, expected to settle in the UK, even if the visa they entered on didn't lead to settlement! That's probably why after 2010, migrants looked for other ways to stay in the UK i.e. abusing the visas and appeal process mentioned above; find a EEA citizen to marry and get them to move to the UK.

I'm wondering if they have overstayed at any time during their refusal to leave, as under present rules, an overstay of 28 days will mean a ban of 10 years from British citizenship. 10 years from when they became legal. Who knows what time limit on a overstay will be brought in in the future, to cause a ban from BC?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:04:47 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 344
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 08:39:15 PM »

1.  They're white

The EEA citizens would say otherwise. Look on EEA forums and they feel the UK has always favoured the Commonwealth countries and Ireland.
http://thecommonwealth.org/member-countries

Australia is a Commonwealth country.

I assume her "Scottish history" was too far back for an Ancestry visa and that she is too old for a Tier 5 Youth Mobilty visa.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:08:53 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab