Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Trying to work in UK  (Read 624 times)

• Liked: 1
Trying to work in UK
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:12:38 PM »
Hi! I am new to the forum and I have a lot of questions! I am trying to move to England ideally as quickly after December as possible. I am currently in college and will graduate in December with a degree in Family and Child Development. I am wondering if there is ANYTHING I can do with this degree to get a job/visa in the UK. Any advice will help. I am pretty positive that nannying in England is not an option for an American which kind of breaks my heart. Is there anything else semi-related to that field that is an option? Thanks again!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Trying to work in UK
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 07:25:55 PM »
The U.K. is extremely anti immigration at the moment.  To have a shot at a job, you need to either have a very niche qualification or a job on the shortage list.

Why the UK?  There are many other countries that are much friendlier immigration wise.  Are you in a relationship with someone in the UK?

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:58:27 PM »
Yes I am in a relationship with a UK citizen who is currently living there. I think you actually replied to my other post in the Visa/Citizenship forum  :)

I am just looking for all possible options. Ideally, we would wait to get married until we are completely financially ready in a couple years. Also, we want to have our wedding in America. We do know that we definitely want to be married though, and are emotionally ready for it, so speeding up the process isn't the end of the world, it just makes things a little untraditional.

I would prefer if I was able to be in the UK on a work visa before having to get married. It's just my personal preference to do things traditionally and have my dream wedding and engagement.

However, if a work visa is not an option with my skill set, then we know that the fiance visa is our back up and is okay.

Thanks for all of your help! These situations are all so complicated! It seems like there's no perfect way to get it all done.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
I get it.  I was working in the UK when I met my now-husband so I didn't experience the long distance thing many have had here.  We did dated a year, lived together a year, were engaged for 13 hours.   ;)

Well, what would you do with the degree in the US?  That's a good place to start.  What do you ultimately want to do?

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
Yes, the distance isn't fun which is why we're willing to speed everything up! I love the 13 hours, that's amazing!!  ;D ;D

As far as what I want to do if I stayed in the US, I really just want to work with children and help them in any capacity. From being a preschool teacher, working at nonprofit adoption agencies, foster care centers, or working with children with special needs. Currently, I am interning at a women's shelter. I never thought I would be interested in working with children or women who have experienced abuse, but I am really loving it, so that's an option as well.

My degree is kind of a double edged sword. It is very broad, so I am open and capable of doing many things. I can also get certifications for teaching or something similar very easily, but the negative with being broad is that it's not specialized in anything. And that's what is making getting a job abroad very difficult.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 02:16:08 PM »
Have you looked into a visa with BUNAC?  It would only get you here for 6 months, but it's something.

I remember graduating and having so many directions I could go in.  Fortunately I think I picked the right now.  DO think about what you really want to do and aim in that direction.  Try not to be too narrow focused into *only* looking at options that will bring you to the UK.  Easier said than done, I'm sure!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab