Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Fiance Visa Questions  (Read 2232 times)

• Liked: 1
UK Fiance Visa Questions
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:13:56 AM »
Hello!

I recently posted about questions concerning the best way for me to move to England to be with my boyfriend. With the help of everyone here and many long conversations, we've decided on the fiance visa!! I'm nervous to start the visa process, but SO excited to think that we may finally be able to live together after a year and a half apart  :) :)

So, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me know where to start! Am I right in thinking that my boyfriend has to have been making a certain amount of money for 6 months before I even apply for the visa? If that is the case, he started making enough money July 2016. Does the 6 months include July or would it start in August? Just trying to figure out if I can apply in December or January.

And then once that's figured out, what do I need to do in the meantime? I'm so excited to start, and I want to give myself plenty of time to get the application together so I know that it's all correct.

Thank you all again. I would still be so lost if I hadn't found this forum, it's incredible!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:21:39 AM by kbales »

• Liked: 6110
Re: UK Fiance Visa Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 07:08:12 AM »
Hello!

I recently posted about questions concerning the best way for me to move to England to be with my boyfriend. With the help of everyone here and many long conversations, we've decided on the fiance visa!! I'm nervous to start the visa process, but SO excited to think that we may finally be able to live together after a year and a half apart  :) :)

So, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me know where to start! Am I right in thinking that my boyfriend has to have been making a certain amount of money for 6 months before I even apply for the visa? If that is the case, he started making enough money July 2016. Does the 6 months include July or would it start in August? Just trying to figure out if I can apply in December or January.

And then once that's figured out, what do I need to do in the meantime? I'm so excited to start, and I want to give myself plenty of time to get the application together so I know that it's all correct.

Thank you all again. I would still be so lost if I hadn't found this forum, it's incredible!!

He needs to have been earning the required amount for the full six months and you are going to need to submit 6 months payslips and the 6 months corresponding bank statements so not until you have the last of these in hand.

The financial requirements in detail.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

Outline of the process.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa

You can get started here.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

If you spend some time on here every day too, you will soon get good idea of what is required and what mistakes not to make.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 07:14:42 AM »

Yes, there are several financial requirements categories that you can qualify under, but unless you have large amounts of savings (i.e. £62,500 or more), your easiest option is likely to be to use his salary.

For Category A, he must show that he has been in a job paying at least £18,600 per year (before tax) for a minimum of 6 months.

To show this, he must have a full 6 months of payslips, showing a minimum pre-tax income of £1,550 or more each month, along with corresponding bank statements showing the deposit of every single payslip into an account in his name.

Of the 6 months of payslips, they will only consider the lowest payslip amount, then multiply it by 12 to get the annual salary... so you need to wait until he has 6 whole months where all of his payslips show at least £1,550.

If he started the job during July, then I would assume he will need the following full payslips:
August
September
October
November
December
January

...as the July payslip may not show enough money on it - I guess it depends what date in July he started and how much his first payslip is for though.

Since you still have a few months for him to meet the financial requirement before you can apply, the best thing to do now is to start researching the visa requirements, what documents you will need and how the application process works.

Feel free to ask any and all questions you have here in this thread (it's best to keep all your questions in one thread so that all your info is together and we don't have to hunt around to remember what advice you've already been given), and you can research more about the visa here:

General fiance visa information:  https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

Meeting the financial requirement: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

How the evidence (payslips, bank statements etc.) must be formatted: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

Suggested supporting documents (though do ask here, because it's a little vague and also has some things on there you don't actually need): https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270197/sup-docs-settlement.pdf

Online application form (shouldn't be completed/submitted until you are completely ready to apply and have all the documents etc.): https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome

Paper version of the online application form (not accepted in the US, but useful for reference purposes while you prepare): https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/274029/VAF4A.pdf

VAF4a Appendix 2 form (mandatory to print and fill out - it's the second half of the application form): https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270484/VAF4A-Appendix2.pdf

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 07:24:48 AM »
With him being in England, what is the best way for me to get his payslips and bank statements? Can he fax/email them to me? Or do they need to be the originals which means he would need to physically mail them to me in the US?

It is very hard for me not to wake him up with a FaceTime right now to tell him all of this information!! Time difference is always in the way!  ;D

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 07:31:14 AM »
With him being in England, what is the best way for me to get his payslips and bank statements? Can he fax/email them to me? Or do they need to be the originals which means he would need to physically mail them to me in the US?

It is very hard for me not to wake him up with a FaceTime right now to tell him all of this information!! Time difference is always in the way!  ;D

Everything needs to be original so he would need to send them to you but have him use a courier service, UPS, Fedex etc for speed and safety, rather than the post office.

ps Oh go on, wake him up..  it's 7.30 am here already!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:37:50 AM by larrabee »

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 07:50:31 AM »

As larrabee said, all documents must be originals (or certified copies). Appendix FM-SE specifies what format the bank statements must be in.

(a) Bank statements must:

(i) be from a financial institution regulated by the appropriate regulatory body for the country in which that institution is operating.
    (ii) not be from a financial institution on the list of excluded institutions in Appendix P of these rules.
    (iii) in relation to personal bank statements be only in the name of:
        (1) the applicant’s partner, the applicant or both as appropriate; or
        (2) if the applicant is a child the applicant parent’s partner, the applicant’s parent or both as appropriate; or
        (3) if the applicant is an adult dependent relative, the applicant’s sponsor or the applicant, unless otherwise stated.
    (iv) cover the period(s) specified.
    (v) be:
        (1) on official bank stationery; or
        (2) electronic bank statements which are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page.

Lol - larrabee and I are both in the UK and we're up... at 7:50 am on a Saturday morning :P (I blame shift work - my body wakes me up at 6 am every day no matter what)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 07:56:31 AM »
If I'm awake, it's definitely late enough.   ;)

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
He's a soccer player...God forbid I mess any schedules up on game day! It's been 5 years and I'm still trying to get used to how important this sport is  :P

But again, thank you all for so much information! I will start to look through it and I'm sure I will very quickly have questions! I can't wait to get started (mostly just so it can be over!)

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »
..God forbid I mess any schedules up on game day! It's been 5 years and I'm still trying to get used to how important this sport is  :P

Haha, I can relate to this and my husband only watches the games!!!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 09:07:46 AM »
I'm curious about the requirement for housing when I move there. Currently, my boyfriend is living with his parents. This November, he will be renting a house with 2 friends. I'm pretty sure that will be a year long lease.

If I can't apply for the visa until January/February, is it okay that by that time he will be living in a house with the lease ending in 10 months? Is it necessary that he lives somewhere more permanent?

If more permanent is better, would it be allowed to use his parents address?

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »
I'm curious about the requirement for housing when I move there. Currently, my boyfriend is living with his parents. This November, he will be renting a house with 2 friends. I'm pretty sure that will be a year long lease.

If I can't apply for the visa until January/February, is it okay that by that time he will be living in a house with the lease ending in 10 months? Is it necessary that he lives somewhere more permanent?

Either would be fine.

If you plan to live in the apartment, you will need to provide the lease plus a letter from the landlord giving you permission to live there when your visa is granted and stating that there will not be overcrowding.

If you plan to live with the parents you will need a letter from the homeowner giving you permission to live there and the same no overcrowding applies.
If they own, you will need the land registry document and mortgage statement if applicable and if they rent, you'll need the lease.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 09:23:28 AM »

A lease with 10 months on it is fine - normally it's a good idea to have at least 6 months on it.

For the accommodation documents, he will need to include:
- the original tenancy agreement with his name on it
- a letter from his landlord giving you permission to live there once you have your visa.
If there will be 2 friends living in the house too, you may need to include something from them - I'm not sure.

Alternatively, you can use his parents' address. For that, you need to include:
- a letter from them giving you both permission to live with them and stating that the home will not be overcrowded
- their Land Registry Document
- their latest original mortgage statement

The guidance on suitable accommodation is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa--2#maa6-accommodation-general-requirements

• Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
I have nothing to add re: the visa situation, as you've already got the best advice!
I just wanted to say, as the wife of a Brit who is a former player and rabid fan, teach yourself to start calling it football!! :) and yeah, they're fanatical about it. Our household basically revolves around the match schedules!!!

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 07:59:27 AM »
Okay, I'm having a hard time committing to the fiance visa. For some reason I just feel like it's not the best way to go for us.

If he comes over to America when his season is over in May/June and we get married here, can I go back with him to England after that? And then apply for the spouse visa from England? I'm assuming I still won't be able to work until the visa is official.

I'm just trying to really think everything through. The fiance visa seems so complicated and expensive.

UK Fiance Visa Questions
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 08:06:35 AM »
No, you'll need to apply for the spousal visa before you go back to England - it's not possible to switch from a visitor visa to any other kind of visa from inside the UK.

So you would need to get married in the US, apply for a spousal visa first and then move to the UK. He might need to go back before you as the summer is the busiest time of the year for visa applications and it may well take a few weeks to be processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:07:42 AM by ksand24 »

Sponsored Links