Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: interesting article - President Trump? There’s only one way to stop it happening  (Read 923 times)

• A Photographic Journey
  • Liked: 1
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/23/president-trump-only-one-way-stop-it-happening-hillary-clinton?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=191829&subid=18238923&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2_footer
Kinky is using a feather.  Perverted is using the whole chicken. 😝😝

• Liked: 533
That this isn't a walk over is in itself startling. The "silent right" is out there too....going about their business....saying nothing....but being damnsure to be there on polling day.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• A Photographic Journey
That this isn't a walk over is in itself startling. The "silent right" is out there too....going about their business....saying nothing....but being damnsure to be there on polling day.

can you explain more what you mean

can you explain more what you mean

I was being cryptic and mysterious...

The first part....that the race is apparently close....it just, to me, beggars belief. Both Trump himself being the nominee, and that apparently democracy (which is twisting in the wind a lot lately) somehow allowed/caused it.

And too, I don't trust polls anymore. They got the Obama race spot on....but have missed both in the last UK general election and I think the EU referendum.

Supposedly, they have added in an element to account for this "hidden right" phenomenon...that those on the right are self-censoring to some degree when they are questioned...but I don't think they have gotten it quite right.

So there may well be a danger that this, along with the weighting of the electoral college system could mean an even closer race than it seems.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• A Photographic Journey
you could well be right, and "beggars belief" is an understatement!  I feel like I'm on a film set or living in an alternative universe. 

I reckon neither candidate is anyone's (ok well most peoples') ideal choice and that most people will abstain from voting altogether.  I predict this election will have the lowest turnout ever.

• Liked: 18
"beggars belief" is an understatement!  I feel like I'm on a film set or living in an alternative universe. 

Exactly!  Well put - each time I hear something else out of that guy's mouth that I'm sure will make people realize what a load of &*%^ he is, I'm floored when the opposite seems to happen.  This article was interesting, a time line of Trumpisms and the responses from a few Republicans.  It gave me a teensy bit of hope (posted on FB, so I'm not sure if the link will work to here or not).

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/29/us/politics/at-least-110-republican-leaders-wont-vote-for-donald-trump-heres-when-they-reached-their-breaking-point.html?_r=0
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 1892
From the article :

"The risk is that he’ll use her experience and expertise against her, casting her as the boring know-it-all against the freewheeling, entertaining guy who relies on good old gut instinct."

Words fail me.

• A Photographic Journey
 Excellent article, thanks for posting that. I couldn't have said it better myself:  "I am ever more confirmed in my belief that Trump is a sociopath, without a conscience or feelings of guilt, shame or remorse.”

Gordon J. Humphrey
Former senator of New Hampshire

I just got my ballot in the mail yesterday.  Hopefully I'll sort it out. 

• A Photographic Journey
I just got my ballot in the mail yesterday.  Hopefully I'll sort it out.

How did you get your ballot?  I think there are going to be more expats voting than pats!! ll

Well something is happening. I read another article on the rise of "conviction politics", that in the past there was indeed a bell-shaped bubble in the middle...with just a few "loony left" and "neo cons" out on the wings. But that this wasn't really the situation anymore.

I think about Nigel Farage too....say what you will about the guy....he changed the world. Trump, like Farage...or Le Pen, has to be examined as more than an individual, but as the personification of some sort of frustration amongst many people.

I have a theory I am developing about it all...that the "West" is, and must be, declining. Our standard of living was artificially elevated due to colonialism and military hegemony......but that as with every example of situations like this, it can't last forever.

I don't think this is a capitulation or failure.....just the nature of things. I am not suggesting that we revert to anything or that Sharia law is on its way....just that things will change.

Great good can come from it.....but these very natural static feelings we are seeing personified through Trump and other "straight talkers", cannot stop the inevitable.

• Liked: 149
Well something is happening. I read another article on the rise of "conviction politics", that in the past there was indeed a bell-shaped bubble in the middle...with just a few "loony left" and "neo cons" out on the wings. But that this wasn't really the situation anymore.

I think about Nigel Farage too....say what you will about the guy....he changed the world. Trump, like Farage...or Le Pen, has to be examined as more than an individual, but as the personification of some sort of frustration amongst many people.

I have a theory I am developing about it all...that the "West" is, and must be, declining. Our standard of living was artificially elevated due to colonialism and military hegemony......but that as with every example of situations like this, it can't last forever.

I don't think this is a capitulation or failure.....just the nature of things. I am not suggesting that we revert to anything or that Sharia law is on its way....just that things will change.

Great good can come from it.....but these very natural static feelings we are seeing personified through Trump and other "straight talkers", cannot stop the inevitable.
Basically.....yep. Pretty much agree. I still don't understand how the Trump supporters can complain about Crooked Hillary (which I agree with) and ignore all of Trumps crookedness. I would like to think that if there were any other choice to shake things up they would jump on that bandwagon instead. You would think there were at least a few power hungry people out there that were semi-honest and semi-reasonable that would be interested in running for president. I'm not planning on voting anymore.....and never have really kept close track of politics....but names like Paul Ryan and Elizabeth Warren come to mind. I've no idea of what their policies would be but they have come across to me as at least being reasonable semi-level headed people.
Fred

How did you get your ballot?  I think there are going to be more expats voting than pats!! ll

Long story short, I found out that Arizona had removed me from the rolls.   Apparently they remove all the absentee voters each federal cycle. After some back and forth, they have sent me a ballot as a PDF via email.  Apparently I can email it back, and probably also print it and send it.

I'm surprised you think people won't vote.  I thought people were pretty excited about the election but I didn't live there and only listen to NPR.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab