Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: national insurance interview when i've already found freelance work  (Read 1114 times)

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
I have a National Insurance interview this Friday and am wondering what to say about work. I do some freelance work online, which I was told was okay when I first called about getting a number (they said I could work for up to 12 weeks if I find work while waiting for an interview). Now I remember reading something on here about it being better to say you're looking for freelance work rather than saying you found work already, but I can't find the post now. Is that true? Should I bring a copy of my contract just in case? Anything else I should be aware of? The letter asks for proof of address, will my drivers' license suffice? I did do a search for other folks' experiences but the results were all from like ten years ago and I know things have changed!

I'm hopeful it will be easy, they're squeezing me in (they called me today to reschedule since they're overbooked but the earliest they can get me in is my due date!) so I don't think they'll have time to really go into everything in depth. At least I hope that's the case!

• Liked: 4985
Re: national insurance interview when i've already found freelance work
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »
Aren't you here on a Tier 2?  I wouldn't think you would need to attend an interview....

It's not an interview, it's just an appointment for you to watch someone else fill in a form (from what others have said).

Having been working already is fine.  If you were working traditional salaried work, you would be taxed at the highest rate until they had your NI number, that's all.  I can't imagine it will make a difference if you tell them you are looking for work or have already secured work.

I would take a few different proofs of address.  Council tax, bank statement, drivers license, I imagine you have an NHS letter.  Better to have a few items and know one will work than to find out they don't like the one you brought.  I'm guessing the DL is not enough, as they LOVE a piece of mail.   ::)

It should be very quick and very easy. 

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
It's a Tier 2 Dependent visa so I haven't worked yet. The problem with mail is that all the bills are in my husband's name. :/ I'll bring a copy of my lease too and see what else I can dig up. Thanks for the response!

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 04:36:23 PM »
Well that was the most perfunctory meeting I've ever been to! I brought all this paperwork and literally the only thing the guy looked at was my biometric card and passport. Oh well, at least it's done!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 07:41:11 PM »
Well that was the most perfunctory meeting I've ever been to! I brought all this paperwork and literally the only thing the guy looked at was my biometric card and passport. Oh well, at least it's done!

They just needed proof that you are allowed to work in the UK and that you are who you say you are. This is why you needed a NINo

You have a National Insurance number to make sure your National Insurance contributions and tax are recorded against your name only.
https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/your-national-insurance-number

If you are self employed, then you should really be looking at this. You don't want HMRC chasing you.
https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself/overview

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:53:50 AM »
Oh yes, that's the next step once I get my NiNo. The guy at the office explained (and I already knew, from reading this board) that I'll need to self-report my taxes.

But I was just surprised at the ease of the meeting, given all the things they *told* me to bring (and other things I've read on this board).

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »
But I was just surprised at the ease of the meeting, given all the things they *told* me to bring (and other things I've read on this board).

Yeah, from what I've heard, it's just an appointment for them to fill out the form for you and check your identity.

In fact, if I remember correctly, not everyone needs to attend an appointment for a NiNo - depending on the visa, some people can just apply by post without needing an interview/appointment at all.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »

In fact, if I remember correctly, not everyone needs to attend an appointment for a NiNo - depending on the visa, some people can just apply by post without needing an interview/appointment at all.

Yup!  That's what stumped me.  As Inversed Tier 2 dependent visa allows work, I would have thought she just needed to do the postal application.  It's only when someone enters on a visa that doesn't allow work (such as a fiancĂ© visa) that have to go in person (to show the right to work).  Unless they've changed it!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab