Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Contacting Agents to view housing  (Read 2219 times)

• Liked: 672
Re: Contacting Agents to view housing
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 08:58:20 PM »
Hi All. Thanks for all this great advice.

One question. The Tesco in Maryhill. Is that the one that has the funeral director office in it??? I did get into a large Tesco somewhere north of the Uni when we were getting supplies to go out on our road-trip adventure, and was seriously amused to find that one could make one's final arrangements there, as well as getting a bank account and charcoal briquettes for the barbecue.  ;D

• Liked: 672
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 04:26:20 PM »
Another question for you -

We had initially thought of flying over, if we found a cheap airfare, to do house-hunting, and then flying home and doing the full-on move then the flat there was available.  I am thinking now, having not seen a tremendous decrease in airfares (as we did last year and the year before) in March, that we might save the cost of the trip, accommodation, and my lost wages for a week off from work (my retirement will become effective when we leave) and just fly over having gotten a short-term rental through Trip Advisor or some such. The house-hunting trip would cost roughly 3+ month's rent - is it unrealistic to think we could not find a place to live in a month or two of looking there in late spring?  If it's not ready for us to move into, we could always do some touristy things until it is. Or would that be an unwise plan?

Thanks

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »
While I didn't move to Scotland...

I arrived January 3rd the year I moved.  I had 30 days corporate housing.  I had NO CLUE where I wanted to live (just knew I wanted to be near my office).  I also had the complexity of having pets.  The first weekend off, I spent time in the 4 towns recommended to me by colleagues.  Narrowed it down.  The following week I saw several places over two days.  Picked one, got turned down.  Picked another, got accepted.  Was able to move in as early as I wanted as it was available the day I saw it.

I know it will depend on area and time of year.  But you already know where you want to be and all sorts.  I don't think you would have an issue finding something in well under a month.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:03:17 AM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 134
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »
You could also look at airbnb for temporary housing.  You might be able to find a small apartment that can serve as home before you find a permanent place.  Some hosts will even do deals for longer stays.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab