Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dog us to uk basics  (Read 3267 times)

• Liked: 52
Dog us to uk basics
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »
We are planning to move with our cockapoo (17 pounds) within the year. I think we understand all the paperwork but is crating the only option? She is not a service dog.

If crating IS the only way does anyone recommend an airline and how much generally is the cost?

Thanks in advance.

Nwkh
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

Re: Dog us to uk basics
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:29:25 PM »
Anyone?? Anything??

Thanks so much.

nwkh
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »
From my understanding most airlines require dogs to travel in  the hold and crated. There may be one that flies into France thats different, but its not something I did and have no actual worling knowledge of. If you look through the pet threads you should find the info pretty quickly. It's mostly about bringing pets over.

Have you looked into the Cruise Ship the Queen Mary II (I think it's II)? They have dog/cat travel spaces, it tends to book full a year in advance, so you'd want to get on that!

Edited because I'm on my mobile and it's not always smart.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 10:50:30 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »
Yup, as Lyonaria said, coming directly into the UK will require the dog to be in the hold.

You can get around that by flying into Paris or Amsterdam and then driving to the UK.  But I'm thinking 17 pounds would be too big to be under the seat in front of you?

If it makes you feel any better, I brought two cats to the UK.  I was SO NERVOUS about them being in the hold.  My vet assured me it was so much better for the animals than being in the cabin.  Really big crates, the hold is dark and warm, the engine soothes them to sleep.  The cabin is bright and noisy.  All they see is feet and the carts going up and down the aisles.  I felt like he had a point.  My kitties arrived safe and sound.  It was MUCH more traumatic for ME than THEM.   ;D

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 03:03:43 PM »
KFdancer and lyonaria--

Thanks so much for the feedback.

So we dont have to supply the crate if we fly? The airlines supplies the crate?

-------

Just looked online a virgin atlantic.. (our preferred airline) got all the details there..thanks agian

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:10:43 PM by nwkh »
UK Spouse Visa

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 03:14:15 PM »
No, you supply the crate.  It's not a cheap process but worth the cost!

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 09:57:11 PM »
OK.. next question. Gawd these official forms do not make things clear!!

So traveling from USA JFK to London Heathrow. Do we need a pet passport or the Annex IV form? Or both?

Does anyone know were we can download these forms for free?

I found a site but they are charging $25 for the Annex IV form. Wouldnt it be so easy if they had the forms one needed on the .gov site. Crazy.

So important to get this right...

Thanks again in advance.

NWKH
UK Spouse Visa

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 09:15:59 AM »
I used a pet relocation company so I'm afraid I'm no use.

Call the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow.  I've heard they are extremely helpful.  If you ask, they may even review your completed paperwork for you before you fly so that you know there won't be any problems.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 09:22:55 AM »
OK.. next question. Gawd these official forms do not make things clear!!

So traveling from USA JFK to London Heathrow. Do we need a pet passport or the Annex IV form? Or both?

Does anyone know were we can download these forms for free?

I found a site but they are charging $25 for the Annex IV form. Wouldnt it be so easy if they had the forms one needed on the .gov site. Crazy.

So important to get this right...

Thanks again in advance.

NWKH

I did it myself but it was a few years ago now. I suggest you call your local USDA, they were above and beyond helpful when I was doing my research.

http://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov/locator/app

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »
Thanx muchly to everybody posting helpful info. Even if some of it is a bit older, it gives me an idea of more things I need to look up and get current data on (salutes)
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for the wonderful advice. We are set to move towards the end of the year and will let everyone know how it went. If anything changes with Brexit or any new info please let's us know.
Many thanks
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
We sent our dog from EWR to LHR in 2012.  I called all the airlines that offer pet transportation and spoke to them, I also called and spoke to the company at LHR that coordinates pets from airline to ARC.  They were very helpful. 

Ultimately we went with United (most costs were the same).  Followed the rules laid out by US and UK, which was a crazy timeline of forms, injections, forms and stamps.  We had to provide the crate, labels, bowls.  You don't pay until you drop the dog off at the airline, which was strange.  It cost us a lot of money and it made me very stressed.  The dog was fine though.  She arrived in Heathrow, was taken to ARC, given a meal (I had SPECIFICALLY asked/written that they should not do that, she's allergic to everything) and then was collected by my Father.  Happy as a clam.

I can try and dig up more of the detail from when we sent her (I posted about it on another expat site) if that helps?  I know a lot of my clients who move internationally use the companies who take the dog from your house and handle it all, but I'm a control freak, plus I wasn't moving, so seemed easier to save some $ and do it myself.

(For clarity, she is a 55lb Boxer, it was supposed to be temporary, but my parents refused to give her back, and she's living happily with them still, aged 12.)

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »
Stelly-

Thanks so much. We have a small dog so are looking into our options. We dont like the thought of putting her in a crate so we might go the France route so we can keep her in the cabin with us. But we have a few months before we have to decide. Its all sooo complicated!! We appreciate the input.

Cheers,

NWKH
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 35
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »
Stelly-

Thanks so much. We have a small dog so are looking into our options. We dont like the thought of putting her in a crate so we might go the France route so we can keep her in the cabin with us. But we have a few months before we have to decide. Its all sooo complicated!! We appreciate the input.

Cheers,

NWKH

Hi, NWKH:

We are in the same boat as you, trying to figure out the best route and options for our dogs. Seems like working out their itinerary is even more stressful than waiting to hear about our application. We have a 30lb mixed breed and a very nervous 5lb chihuahua. I'm already back in the UK  (Scotland), and my spouse has our poochies in Mississippi. She's prepared to travel to get the shortest route, but having to have the dogs tapeworm treatment means less days to travel to a suitable airport...and of course this all depends on spousal visa approval.

You mentioned the France route. We hadn't even thought of that as an option. I know it would mean our big boy would still have to go as cargo, but it might be easier on our wee girl. Would you then drive or fly to the UK, and does that require additional paperwork?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you using a shipper or doing this yourself? Some of the airlines insist on using a shipper, but we're trying to keep the costs from spiraling.

Keep telling myself we can do this!

Good luck!

D and E

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 08:51:55 PM »
101paperclips-

Your little one could fly Air France in the cabin no problem. There is a 17 pound weight limit including the dog and the carrier. In terms of getting from France to England, after looking at the ALL the options we found Barry at :

http://www.pet-moves.com/

He will meet you in Paris and drive you across through the Eurotunnel for a fee. Trains, planes and one way car rental is not an option.

Your big dog could come with her on Air France but since it would have to be in the cargo hold anyway it may be cheaper and less of a headache to have it fly to Heathrow and you meet it there. Once its checked in at its originating airport it will not know the difference.

A link to the UK government website that explains what they want you to do.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

The USDA has laid out all the steps for getting your pet ready on the USA side.

To UK:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/eu/eu-echinococcus/pet-travel-echinococcus-treatments-uk

To France:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/eu/pettravel-france

A brief rundown of the steps areā€¦

1-Get your pet microchipped with an international ISO chip.
2-Must be vaccinated for rabies. This is VERY detailed. Read it.
3-Pet must wait 21 days AFTER the rabies vaccination to enter UK.
4-Have a USDA accredited vet issue complete and sign the EU certificate.
5-Have your local state APHIS office sign and seal the EU certificate.
6-Dogs must be treated by an accredited vet for tapeworm between 1 and 5 days before entry into UK.

Hope this helps... good luck to you and the poochers!!!!
UK Spouse Visa

Sponsored Links