Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Papers, please  (Read 1090 times)

• Liked: 85
Papers, please
« on: October 10, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
About a year ago, I asked if anyone with a pre-IHS surcharge visa had faced documentation issues when going to a new health provider in a post-surcharge world. There ended up being some jokes about how everyone will be hearing 'papers, please' soon enough.

Well, wait no longer.

Yes, this is one trust's pilot, but note the bit about impending 'revised national guidance' that will advocate routine presentation of proof of identity and eligibility for all patients -- even Brits.

A new normal is coming, and it is a chilling prospect.

If you're interested, you can register free on HSJ and read this one: https://www.hsj.co.uk/newsletter/hsj-local/providers/st-georges-university-hospitals-nhs-foundation-trust/trust-to-demand-proof-of-patients-right-to-free-nhs-care/7011370.article?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter_#

• Liked: 4985
Re: Papers, please
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 05:08:53 PM »
Yup, it's one of the reasons for the big push for everyone to go to a BRP.

I know lots of people travel on old expired passports that contain ILR.  Not an issue at the moment.  But I fear it will change overnight suddenly at some point and BRP's will be required.... which they charge over £300 for....  ::)

• Liked: 85
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »
Well, yes, the money grab is obvious. Immigration is a cash cow.

But I'm looking forward to watching Brits absolutely lose it when they have to produce their papers, too. Going to pass out popcorn.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:08:34 PM »
Do they not have some sort of health card? In Canada all residents get one that they have to show at the doctor, also doubles as a legal photo ID. Otherwise you're charged.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »
In Surrey we couldn't register at the GP without proof of identity and address, is that wha you're taking about for British citizens?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »

-- even Brits.

Being a British citizen does not give you free NHS. There are rules to follow and the present rules are that you must prove that you reside in the UK. If you have moved back to the UK, then you must prove it, to stop NHS abuse.

Up to April 2015, Brtisih citizens could live outside the UK and have free NHS if they visited as long as they were in receipt of a UK state pension, but that was stopped too.

Rules on who can have what, change.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 04:41:36 PM »

But I'm looking forward to watching Brits absolutely lose it when they have to produce their papers, too. Going to pass out popcorn.

We always have had to prove it. It's nothing new. It's a myth that the NHS is free for all. It's also a myth that everything is covered by the NHS.

A good few years, when I was away from home and needed a doctor, I popped into a drop-in centre. I had moved a few years before that and had taken myself off my doctor's in my old area and years later, still hadn't bothered to register with a GP in my new area.

I expected to have to prove I lived in the UK, but the receptionist looked on her linked records and could see that I resided in the UK. I don't know what government records she had links too.

A few minutes later a Brit walked in with her passport, but as they couldn't find her on whatever those linked records were, she was  told she would have to pay to see the GP and for any treatment.

Brits know when they are and are not allowed to use the NHS without charge. Some may try to get free NHS when they visit even though they know they are not allowed to use if for free, but the Immigration Act 2014 has just about shut that down.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:48:01 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 716
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 04:53:43 PM »
Brits know when they are and are not allowed to use the NHS without charge. Some may try to get free NHS when they visit even though they know they are not allowed to use if for free, but the Immigration Act 2014 has just about shut that down.

I agree, any Brit that has lived overseas (and stopped paying HMRC taxes) must also live in cloud cuckoo land if they haven't heard that they are not entitled to free use of the NHS when they come back for a visit.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 533
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
Here is the Daily Mails spin on it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3833570/The-900-health-tourists-gave-birth-just-one-hospital-year-Officials-warn-escalating-problem-women-flying-child.html

According to their report, sinister 'Nigerian agents' (agents of what?) have been recruiting these Africans to come over for free births. They have a picture of Bimbo Ayelabola who apparently popped over to give birth to premature quintuplets. Like most of these African ladies, according to the article, she "absconded" away before paying her bill.

Foreign visitors have long been billable for medical treatment. As stated in this article by a Department of Health spokesperson, they should already be checking for passports.

As stated also in this article, and widely reported last year, the particular hospital chose not to pursue payment from Ayelabola. Didn't bother to send her a bill, if I recall. That's just shoddy.

The Department of Health goes on to say that, while guidance has been in place for quite a while regarding the checking of nationality it doesn't happen on the ground due to short-staffing".

This 'Nigerian agent thing'....this thing with African women....is bigoted crap. And as, at least according to the Mail, they are doing this because the patients are supposedly black, and the NHS is a government body....it is racist as well.

For another look at this topic check here:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/24/medical-tourism-generates-millions-nhs-health

"The researchers also found that more people leave the UK seeking medical treatment abroad than arrive in this country for care: about 63,000 people from the country travelled to hospitals and clinics abroad in 2010, while considerably fewer, about 52,000 people, came here."
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 11:18:19 AM »
Without getting too far into the details of medical insurance, I'm fairly certain that anyone who showed up in a hospital in the US , about to give birth to premature quintuplets would also get taken care of.  She would also be presented with a bill, which she could also skip out on. 

My point is that because these things can happen doesn't mean the NHS is broken,  it's the price we pay so that women don't deliver quintuplets in my backyard near the bins.  Anyone who has visited a country with truly poor and desperate people has seen things that we choose not to accept in our country and I'll happily support the NHS when it pays that price.

Jesus, Son of Sailor, stop reading the Daily Mail, it will rot your soul.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 11:34:06 AM »
Jesus, Son of Sailor, stop reading the Daily Mail, it will rot your soul.

I am drawn like like a moth to the ointment....

I am not sure it isn't parody at this point. I mean, that thing about the East Anglia Wildman sighting....I saw that on the Mail. Believe me if I see something about a Wildman running loose in the Fen, I am clicking on it.

/sinister Nigerian agents
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links