Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Working with EEA permit  (Read 408 times)

• Liked: 0
Working with EEA permit
« on: October 12, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have recently got an EEA Family Permit to join my husband in the UK. I'm planning on applying for residence card at some point. We are planning on changing the address after Xmas and moving into a larger place. So, my question is this: Is it important , from the point of view of residence card application, for my name to appear in any sort of document-like electric bill, council tax bill or anything? And if it is, should I wait, and apply for the card after we change address?
And another question: Has anyone secured a job on an EEA Family Permit?
Thanks a lot in expectation

• Liked: 56
Re: Working with EEA permit
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:07:08 AM »
This is late so maybe you have seen it elsewhere on the site but -

I moved here on EEA Family Permit in 2014 and actually, because it took my partner so long to get a job, renewed the FP bit several times (twice because of airport entry while waiting for the longer 6 months to renew). I didnt actually apply for the Residence Card until after we secured a place to live and he had a job, because we needed the proof of his employment status, which is pretty critical now.

Employers didn't care about the 6 months while I was applying, so long as I had something to show them, HOWEVER having the Residence Card I think will become more critical as this Brexit thing unfolds as the govt is threatening a cutoff date. I would recommend getting the RC sooner rather than later, as it can take several months to process (mine took about 10 weeks I think) and it shows employers that you can definitely stay longer than 6 months.

Get your name on some bills ASAP for sure - that will be critical for: signing up for surgery, bank account, anything else. Council tax and electrical would be best. I went to sign up for a surgery last week and brought a pay slip and HMRC tax info and that was good and all but... they still wanted a council tax or bank statement :) It can take longer than you think to move here, so you may as well start a paper trail and get legit in the systems.

Sponsored Links