Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Lover of the USA from the UK  (Read 644 times)

• Liked: 0
Lover of the USA from the UK
« on: October 13, 2016, 10:59:06 PM »
Hey everybody :)

I am from the United Kingdom and have a huge fascination with American and Canadian culture :)

i'm here to make new friends and plan trips to the USA and Canada :)

• Liked: 533
Re: Lover of the USA from the UK
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »
Welcome! I think we have people here from every nook and cranny of the US. My advice....don't go in July or August....it's hot!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:57:07 AM »
Welcome! I think we have people here from every nook and cranny of the US. My advice....don't go in July or August....it's hot!

Oooo, yes.  My husband used to want to go in August, since that was when Florida is at it's hottest (where my parents live).  I've taken him then.  He now agrees that late January and February are perfect!   :P  Poor guy.  He wants to badly to like hot weather, but he cannot handle it.  It's our little secret.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »
Canada?  What's that?

You might as well go on a British forum and say you are interested in British and Gibraltar culture.  Most Americans couldn't find Canada on a map. 

Welcome!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 12:03:13 PM »
Have to agree with jimbocz.

Not that we can't place Canada on a map, but that Americans have no idea about Canadian culture. Haha. It's different up in the Great White North. Everything I know about Canada I learned on Tumblr.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 01:01:28 PM »
I just find it baffling when somebody hears my accent and says "Are you Canadian?"  I always want to say "your accent is quite distinctive as well, are you from The Isle of Man? 

• Liked: 134
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 06:52:10 PM »
Pleased to say that I know a bit about Canada!  People always ask if I am from Canada or America.  "South of the border, I say 'owt' and 'a-bowt,' not 'oot' and 'a-boot.'"  And milk comes in a bag in Ontario.  ;)

Welcome to the forum!

Edited because my brain is faster than my fingers...
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 02:06:13 AM »
Canada?  What's that?

You might as well go on a British forum and say you are interested in British and Gibraltar culture.  Most Americans couldn't find Canada on a map. 

Welcome!

Except those of us that lived on the border ;) Toronto has always been my sorta second home, and when working phone support was often accused of being an outsourced employee in canada because I'd end up with "aboot" and "eh?" sneaking into my vocabulary.

Welcome!

Sponsored Links