Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Clowns  (Read 715 times)

• Liked: 154
Clowns
« on: October 16, 2016, 07:46:46 PM »
Is anybody not taking their kids out on Halloween due to the crazy clown stuff going on? We [mum, stepdad, dad, and I] all decided to not take our five year old out because there has been two threatening instances that have taken place recently. Breaks my heart because she is so excited to be Frankenstein, and I can't find any safe events for her, where she can dress up and get sweets outside of working hours. I can't decide if we're being to paranoid, but her safety comes first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 68
Re: Clowns
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »
My stepson is goin trick or treating He isn't afraid of seeing any clowns and he brought up a good point...there's going to be safety in numbers. They would essentially be successful in what they're doing...which is scaring people enough to stop them from going trick or treating.

If you have a younger child then I'd understand unless you can go with a group of people and just maybe stick to your street.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:37:52 AM »
These things are fascinating...

If I may ask, are you worried that actual harm will come to you or your kids? Or that you may see a clown and it will traumatise you/your children?

Or is it just a general sense of fear?

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
To be honest I was the least concerned parent (does that make me a bad parent?) but we had some Clowns going after people last week with knives and bats, so I think it's a combination of scaring our five year old and actual harm.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:15:25 AM »
No, I startle easily...like if someone drops something in the store or something, like a pallet...I jump out of my skin.

So I have actually thought about what would happen if an idiot in a clown suit jumped out at me. I would probably screech a curse and run off a little way. I think this is sensible...putting a bit of distance between yourself and a sudden unknown...but it wouldn't be particularly pretty. I might trip and fall.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
My opinion is that stopping your kid from trick or treating would be more worrying for the kid than the incredibly small risk that something would actually happen.  If you are telling the kid they are not safe in their own neighbourhood on Halloween when protected by the adults they trust, that's a pretty terrifying message.   

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »
I'm also fascinated by this trend, like SOS.  Everything I read in response is people saying that they would beat up any clowns they see.  I think going outside in a clown costume in the current climate of panic would be pretty dangerous . 

My final bit of advice is that if you find yourself having to fight a gang of evil clowns, go for the juggler!

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:40:09 PM »
I spoke to my mom the other night and she said all the shops back home in our area pulled any clown costumes off the shelves. It's a shame. I'm definitely not one of those parents who is  super over protective.. because kids have to learn on their own sometimes. Part of me feels by giving into the 'clowns' we are teaching that they aren't safe in their neighborhood etc. However, I also feel like if something were to happen to her because of a crazy clown I would be so upset.

I don't quite understand why people are doing it. Some I think are little shits (sorry I hardly curse but I can't think of a better way to say it). Others are a threat. How do you tell the difference?

I hate that we live in a world where we have to be so cautious. Times have definitely changed.

Sponsored Links