Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for a spouse visa  (Read 4039 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Applying for a spouse visa
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »
As larrabee has said, you can't rely on them contacting you. We may be the couple larrabee is referring to who didn't include divorce evidence, unless there are others who missed this. I spoke to the helpline the following day and they were surprised that we weren't contacted, but there is nothing you, they, or anyone else can do at that point.

Just rotten luck timds.  >:(

Best of luck with the new application.  :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »
For example, recently we had a married couple who had neglected to include proof of their divorces. They were refused.

Is it necessary to provide proof of all divorces or just most recent? I can provide the paperwork on my one divorce but my wife was first divorced decades ago when she was in her 20's and has not retained a record of this.

Thanks you you and timbds66 for the other advice.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 12:40:40 PM »
Yes, you need evidence of all divorces.  You'll need it for each application (of which there will be several before indefinite leave to remain).  If you call the county in which the divorce was granted, they can provide the paperwork.  It'll be a very nominal cost.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »
Is it necessary to provide proof of all divorces or just most recent? I can provide the paperwork on my one divorce but my wife was first divorced decades ago when she was in her 20's and has not retained a record of this.

Thanks you you and timbds66 for the other advice.

You will need to provide proof of all of them.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »
Yes, you need evidence of all divorces.  You'll need it for each application (of which there will be several before indefinite leave to remain).  If you call the county in which the divorce was granted, they can provide the paperwork.  It'll be a very nominal cost.

My wife is American so I assume it will be the appropriate state.

Thanks again.

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 02:14:21 PM »
My wife is American so I assume it will be the appropriate state.

Thanks again.

Divorces are filed in county court, not state court.

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 06:45:02 PM »
Jusr read in another post that in addition to the applicants passport, all old expired passports are required as well. Is this true?

This could be an issue in that my wife only has her previous passport. Who after all keeps old expired passports for decades, across multiple home  moves etc?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 06:59:21 PM »
Jusr read in another post that in addition to the applicants passport, all old expired passports are required as well. Is this true?

Yes, you should send previous passports if you have them.

However, if you no longer have them, then you just explain on the application form why you can't provide them. It's not a big deal.

The VAF4a paper version (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/274029/VAF4A.pdf) of the online application form states:

2.7 Please give details of any previous passports, covering the last 10 years, including where these passports are now.

And the guidance for this question:

2.7 Please give details of any previous passports, covering the last 10 years, including where these passports are now.
Where the information is available, please provide full details for each. This should include travel document or passport number, issue and expiry dates and place of issue.
Please tell us where your previous passports are (for example if lost, stolen, expired or returned to the issuing authority and no longer with you).

And on the supporting documents guidance, it states:

5. Documents you need to provide

You’ll need to provide:
-    your current passport or other valid travel ID
-    previous passports
-    proof of your relationship to the person you’re joining
-    proof you can meet the financial requirement or maintenance requirement
-    proof of your knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over - unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative
-    your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
(https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/documents-you-need-to-provide)

Previous passports
These are to show your previous travel history
(https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270197/sup-docs-settlement.pdf)

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 07:03:39 PM »
Thanks very much indeed for this info,

My wife renewed her passport 2.5 years ago just before we began seeing each other travelling to the UK and USA. We have been to each others countries 4 times each for an average of 6 weeks - so all relevant passport stamps are in her current passport.

We can also prove via message records that our relationship began and continued 4 years ago, so hopefully this will suffice if she cannot find her old passport.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:05:02 PM by apc »

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 07:10:06 PM »
My wife renewed her passport 2.5 years ago just before we began seeing each other travelling to the UK and USA. We have been to each others countries 4 times each for an average of 6 weeks - so all relevant passport stamps are in her current passport.

We can also prove via message records that our relationship began and continued 4 years ago, so hopefully this will suffice if she cannot find her old passport.

The previous passports are not to check her visits to see you for your relationship evidence, they are to check ALL her travel history anywhere in the world over the last 10 years... which is why she has to list on the application every country she has visited in the last 10 years, so they can match it with her passport stamps (there's one question just for UK visits and one for all travel outside the US).

It's up to you to provide evidence of trips to see each other by way of boarding passes, they won't check her passport for them specifically (though they will obviously see from her listed travel history and passport stamps that she travelled to the UK).

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »
We are still compiling supporting documentation etc.

I have a question about photographs. How many photos should we submit with the application?

We don't have that many photos as we are not "selfie" people, focusing on enjoying being together instead, although we have travelled thousands of miles together.

We were married in Maui, Hawaii, in court, by a high court judge, and have the photos to prove it.

So we have photos of the wedding ceremony - myself, wife and judge - afterwards in hotel grounds, and about half a dozen high quality photos each in the USA and UK over the 2.5 years we have been together. Is this enough.

Also do we need to send glossy photos which will cost quite a lot to reproduce, or can we just print them on regular paper?

Also if they require more evidence, do they contact us and request it. or just reject the application?

we will be submitting documentation exactly as required in the document you kindly provided earlier:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270197/sup-docs-settlement.pdf

Also - it will take some time for my wife to change her name on all documents to her new married name and in fact in the USA for passport etc name change is not required until renewal. If we provide our marriage certificate will it matter if some supporting documents, e.g passport is in my wife's previous name?

Any other advice on this most welcome.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:50:37 AM by apc »

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »
It is recommended to send two photos - one from your wedding and one from earlier in your relationship.  Actual photos are preferred to print outs on paper.  Shouldn't cost more than 10 cents or so for a photo print.

Sometimes if they require more info and they are feeling kind, they will contact you.  But they are not required to.  We recently had a member get a refusal because they had not included their divorce decree from their previous marriage.  That was a bit harsh, but it's a required document and they hadn't submitted it. 

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 10:52:26 AM »
It is recommended to send two photos - one from your wedding and one from earlier in your relationship.  Actual photos are preferred to print outs on paper.  Shouldn't cost more than 10 cents or so for a photo print.

Sometimes if they require more info and they are feeling kind, they will contact you.  But they are not required to.  We recently had a member get a refusal because they had not included their divorce decree from their previous marriage.  That was a bit harsh, but it's a required document and they hadn't submitted it.

Thanks.

Do they require divorce decrees from all previous marriages? My wifes previous husband is deceased, so she can provide the death certificate.

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
Yes.  And include the death certificate.  They want proof that you were free and clear to marry.

Hold onto them as you'll need them for each and every visa application going forward as well.

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
Yes.  And include the death certificate.  They want proof that you were free and clear to marry.

Hold onto them as you'll need them for each and every visa application going forward as well.

My wife does not have divorce documentation from previous marriages of decades ago - who wants to keep that.

Presumably if she contacts the relevant authorities and can get copies or proof, that will suffice?

Are there organisations in the USA that can track down copies of marriages, divorces etc?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab