Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inheriting guns from the US  (Read 2292 times)

• Happily living with husband and son in East London
  • Liked: 0
Inheriting guns from the US
« on: October 24, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »
I wasn't sure if Sports and Leisure was the right place for this, however I will post here and in current in case it's missed. Admin, please delete where applicable.

My father passed away in 2011 and the following year I moved to the UK on a spousal visa. I am now in my final year of FLR and will seek ILR at the end of 2017 per the 5 year track.

My father was a cop in the states and ran a shooting range for the state police. He retired and continued to maintain a small gun collection. He and I would often go to ranges or look for weapons online to add to his collection.

As a resident of the UK I am aware of the gun laws here, however as his daughter I am keen to keep his beloved old guns in the family. I am the rightful heiress of his weapons as the family has agreed no one else has this connection to him and would want them in their homes.

There are only 3 weapons in question at this stage: a rifle, a muzzle loader and a revolver. I suspect I can acquire some kind of permission for the first two, however the third being a handgun (albeit not automatic or semi automatic) does present a bit of a problem.

Does anyone know how I could legally own them in the UK? Not for use, obviously, but simply as heirlooms? I am willing to dismantle them if required.

Thanks!

Mrs R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:23:33 PM by MrsRandall »
December 31, 2011 - In love and planning to marry!
May 17, 2012- Married Spencer Randall
August 24, 2012 - Biometrics and mailed application PRIORITY
August 27, 2012 - Application arrived in NYC
August 28, 2012 - 1st email received - "Application processing"
September 11, 2012 - VISA ISSUED!
October 12, 2012 - moved to London
March 26, 2014 - found out we were expecting DS
December 3, 2014 - Alfred James Randall born

• Liked: 4985
Re: Inheriting guns from the US
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »
I would contact a local gun shop and find out about what would need to be done / can be done.

Hopefully this isn't something you'll need to think about for a long, LONG time.  The laws could change many times over between now and then.

• Liked: 15
Re: Inheriting guns from the US
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
These guys will help you with the muzzle loader
The rifle will require much documentation and a lot of cost for secure storage, thee police can demand to check at any time
The pistol you have almost no chance

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab