Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Fiance Visa/Marriage Visa Questions  (Read 725 times)

• Liked: 0
UK Fiance Visa/Marriage Visa Questions
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »
Hello!

I am currently finalizing all of the pieces of my UK Fiance Visa (Settlement), but I have a few questions. My fiance and I want to make sure everything is covered before I send it off. He is Scottish and I am American.

1. My fiance is my financial sponsor. He exceeds the income requirement by a good amount. Is evidence related to that all that is required?

2. On that same note, since my fiance is my financial sponsor, do I as the applicant need to provide any financial evidence? From what I understand, I do not, but I want to make sure.

3. Do I need to provide copies of everything? It seems like that would be silly and only just double the number of pages (of which there is a good amount anyways...)!

4. Also, I am a US National. Are my passports enough or do I need to send a birth certificate?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

- Mary

• Liked: 3595
Re: UK Fiance Visa/Marriage Visa Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »
1. My fiance is my financial sponsor. He exceeds the income requirement by a good amount. Is evidence related to that all that is required?

Your fiance is your sponsor for all the requirements of the visa, not just the finances (there's no separate 'financial' sponsor - you can only have one sponsor for the visa: your fiance).

So, you have to provide the required evidence of his finances:
Assuming Category A (with current employer and earning more than £18,600 for at least 6 months):
- 6 months of original payslips showing a minimum pre-tax income of £1,550 per month
- 6 months of original bank statements showing the deposit of every payslip
- letter from his employer stating: current employment and salary, length of time with the company, length of time earning current salary, type of employment
- original job contract
- original P60

And you also have to provide accommodation evidence, and relationship evidence to meet the other requirements for the visa.

2. On that same note, since my fiance is my financial sponsor, do I as the applicant need to provide any financial evidence? From what I understand, I do not, but I want to make sure.

No, not unless you are meeting the financial requirement under a different category and are using your cash savings or non-employment income to supplement his income.

The online application will ask for your current employment details, but they are a formality. You can include a payslip and bank statement to show your income if you want, but it won't be relevant to the actual visa decision.

3. Do I need to provide copies of everything? It seems like that would be silly and only just double the number of pages (of which there is a good amount anyways...)!

Yes, you must send copies of every original document you want returned to you. If you don't include copies, they may keep your originals.

4. Also, I am a US National. Are my passports enough or do I need to send a birth certificate?

Birth certificates are not required. You just send your current US passport, and any expired passports you have (from all countries, if you hold more than one nationality).

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:43:42 PM »
Hello!

I am currently finalizing all of the pieces of my UK Fiance Visa (Settlement), but I have a few questions. My fiance and I want to make sure everything is covered before I send it off. He is Scottish and I am American.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

- Mary

Hi Boston-Edinburgh.

1-No, there is quite a bit more to it than that. You also have to provide evidence of meeting relationship and accommodation requirements too.

2-Correct, your income doesn't count.

3-You should send copies of everything you would like returned to you.

4-Passports are enough.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 08:58:51 AM »
You need to send evidence of your plans to marry as well.

• UK citizen as of Feb, 2019.
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 12:43:14 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper, and faster to marry in the US and then get the spouse visa instead of a fiancé visa?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper, and faster to marry in the US and then get the spouse visa instead of a fiancé visa?

It is, but people choose where to marry for many different reasons.   :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 08:20:45 AM »

2-Correct, your income doesn't count.

According to the "financial requirements directive", there are cases where the applicants income does count - specifically pension income. Quote from section 8.1.1:

"8.1.1. The gross annual income from any State (UK Basic State Pension and Additional or Second State Pension, HM Forces Pension or foreign) or private pension received by
the applicant’s partner or the applicant can be counted towards the financial
requirement. "

Could you confirm your understanding that this is the case.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
According to the "financial requirements directive", there are cases where the applicants income does count - specifically pension income. Quote from section 8.1.1:

"8.1.1. The gross annual income from any State (UK Basic State Pension and Additional or Second State Pension, HM Forces Pension or foreign) or private pension received by
the applicant’s partner or the applicant can be counted towards the financial
requirement. "

Could you confirm your understanding that this is the case.

Yes, this is true. Larrabee was talking about employment income (which can't count), but there are other types of income that can count.

The applicant's income can count for the following categories:

Category C: Non-Employment Income (i.e. rent from property, interest from stocks/shares, child maintenance payments, academic stipend, which will continue in the UK )

Category D: Cash Savings (savings held by the applicant)

Category E: Pension Income (if the applicant currently receives a monthly pension and will continue in the UK, that can be used towards the requirements)

But you would only need to provide evidence of this income if you were applying under Category C, D or E. If you are applying under Category A or B, then only your sponsor's income will count and you do not need to provide evidence of your income.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:48:41 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 09:13:25 AM »
Yes, this is true. Larrabee was talking about employment income (which can't count), but there are other types of income can can count.

Thank you ksand!  :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 09:28:05 AM »
Yes, this is true. Larrabee was talking about employment income (which can't count), but there are other types of income can can count.

The applicant's income can count for the following categories:

Category C: Non-Employment Income (i.e. rent from property, interest from stocks/shares, child maintenance payments, academic stipend, which will continue in the UK )

Category D: Cash Savings (savings held by the applicant)

Category E: Pension Income (if the applicant currently receives a monthly pension and will continue in the UK, that can be used towards the requirements)

But you would only need to provide evidence of this income if you were applying under Category C, D or E. If you are applying under Category A or B, then only your sponsor's income will count and you do not need to provide evidence of your income.

Thanks very much for the clarification.

Sponsored Links