Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Building credit and filing taxes  (Read 1261 times)

• Liked: 6
Building credit and filing taxes
« on: October 29, 2016, 08:52:26 AM »
Hello everyone! I'm submitting my visa application this Monday, fingers crossed I'm approved!

I've got a couple money questions as I'm new to all of this.

I'm very young and have never had to file my own taxes before. What exactly do I need to sort out when I move over there? Will paperwork be sent to me? Do I need to request it from the US before I leave? Will I be filing this separately or with my husband?

Also this probably sounds really bad but I don't have any credit whatsoever. I've only ever used a debit card as I hate the idea of spending what I don't have. I pay my student loans directly and anything else I need to purchase is withdrawn right then and there or I just don't buy it lol. However I know this can be problematic when I start house hunting and car shopping, etc. How exactly does one build credit? And should I be building it in both the US and the U.K. or should I just be focusing on the UK? Should I open up a credit card here in the US before I leave? Also should this be under a joint account or kept separate? My husband also uses debit so we might as well start building credit together...

Sorry these questions are so broad, I just honestly don't know how any of this stuff works, especially in another country.

Thanks so much for your help and your patience!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:20:20 AM by thatgirlgrace »

• Liked: 102
Re: Building credit and filing taxes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 08:15:36 PM »
If you are a US citizen you will have the identical US tax and FBAR filing obligations as if you lived in the United States. This means filing with Uncle Sam, reporting worldwide income and gains to the IRS, for ever.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 08:37:04 AM »
This means filing with Uncle Sam, reporting worldwide income and gains to the IRS, for ever.

Not quite accurate. Filing requirements continue until just after you are dead.  :P

• Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »
Not quite accurate. Filing requirements continue until just after you are dead.  :P

Or you renounce your U.S. citizenship.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 04:07:25 PM »
Or you renounce your U.S. citizenship.

Unless you still have a US source of income AFAIK.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 05:21:58 PM »
For credit, yes it's a good idea to start building.  Keep your same philosophy of not spending money you don't have, and all should be fine.

It'll likely take time in the UK before you can do anything.  You'll probably need to be here for about a year (and working) before you'll qualify for a credit builder type credit card.  I was able to get one after a year with Capital One.  Started with a £500 limit and been able to build that up now.  I now have no problem obtaining credit.

Taking out a SIM only contract for a mobile phone will be a good way to start as well.  You should be able to do this with just a debit card, but it will start you off. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:23:54 PM by KFdancer »

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
Before leaving the US get a US AmEx card. When in the UK apply to them to transfer it over and they should give you a UK card. Common places it can be used are Amazon and Argos. Make small purchases and pay it off every month.

Put your name on the council tax and as many bills as possible (i.e. so they are joint).

After a few months contact the three UK credit reporting agencies and get them to add a notation on your record that you are not on the electoral register because you are not a citizen.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »
If you have a note added that you are not on the electoral roll, it prevents you from having 'instant' approved credit in the future.  I never added the note due to that recommendation and it has served me well!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »
Before leaving the US get a US AmEx card. When in the UK apply to them to transfer it over and they should give you a UK card. Common places it can be used are Amazon and Argos. Make small purchases and pay it off every month.

Put your name on the council tax and as many bills as possible (i.e. so they are joint).

After a few months contact the three UK credit reporting agencies and get them to add a notation on your record that you are not on the electoral register because you are not a citizen.

Does amex really do that or is it urban legend?  Ive heard both.  While i loath amex i would consider opening an account in the US if i could transfer it to the UK and build credit that way.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
AmEx is very real.  I've done it.  There's a form to complete and you have to send in a copy of your passport, but otherwise pretty painless. 

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
Does amex really do that or is it urban legend?  Ive heard both.

I suggested it because my wife and I did it. I wouldn't suggest an urban legend.  ::)

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 12:01:14 PM »
If you are a US citizen you will have the identical US tax and FBAR filing obligations as if you lived in the United States. This means filing with Uncle Sam, reporting worldwide income and gains to the IRS, for ever.
I've never had to file them before, up until this year I've been my parents dependent. So what happens? Do they send me a form? Or do I need to download something online? Thanks :)

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 12:44:25 PM »
I use an accountant, but you can download the forms from here:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs

You will need some version of the 1040.

Financial year ends Dec 31st and filing deadline is (usually) April 15th the following year.

If you have any income arising in any State then you will also need that State's forms.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 01:23:07 PM »
I use an accountant, but you can download the forms from here:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs

You will need some version of the 1040.

Financial year ends Dec 31st and filing deadline is (usually) April 15th the following year.

If you have any income arising in any State then you will also need that State's forms.
Perfect! Thank you!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab