Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Flights  (Read 788 times)

• Liked: 46
Flights
« on: October 30, 2016, 05:35:43 PM »
So this may be a long post but at the end of it I just want tips for buying flights to and from the US

So as per the court order I will be bringing my son back to the US three times per year: 2 weeks at Christmas and Easter and 5 weeks during the summer.  He's 7 so I think can't fly alone? (Plus don't like that idea at all!) so it'll be required for an adult to be flying with him. We live in Iowa currently (still waiting for our visa, day 86 Monday) but the divorce decree doesn't require us to deliver him to Des Moines so may bring him to Chicago sometimes ( Des Moines is a connecting flight where Chicago can be a direct flight from London ) 

Our plan will be book one round trip ticket for him and a round trip for an adult at the beginning and end on the trip.  So three round trips.  Once a year on one of the two week trips I may just come visit so maybe one flight will be just two round trip tickets.  We told relatives they can come visit and either bring my son back or take him over and we'll buy a ticket ( since we'd have to anyway ).  With this system it'll be 8-9 round trip international flights a year at peak season times. On top of that since we have to book flight separately we have to go thru a booking agent to make sure we're on same flight seated together, which is an additional $25 fee per ticket🙄

Right now we just look at Priceline and kayak for flights.  We have milage numbers for American Airlines and United, my husband used his miles for a flight not long ago. I'm looking into credit cards thru these businesses to accrew even more. 

Is there any advice, tips, special programs to look into, or good booking websites I don't know about that you guys could suggest?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:40:17 PM by Airadele08 »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Flights
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 05:58:47 PM »
Most airlines offer unaccompanied minor services, if you are ever in a bind.

Sky scanner is good as you can set alerts for price changes.  Momondo is also pretty good.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 06:04:21 PM »
Thank you, I will check those out.  Hopefully we're looking those up soon

• Liked: 170
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 06:08:10 PM »
Start working for an airline. I got free (albeit standby) flights until I was 24 because my mum was a flight attendant.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 06:14:32 PM »
I accrue United air miles by doing surveys, admittedly the miles take a while to add up but they are free.

Booking as far ahead as you possibly can, and taking 1 or 2 stop flights can really bring down the cost (not great with a little one but hopefully yours is resilient).

Don't understand why you have to book flights separately, but we often book work travel and personal travel separately and don't have a problem using the airline website to select adjacent seats.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 06:21:10 PM »
I accrue United air miles by doing surveys, admittedly the miles take a while to add up but they are free.

Booking as far ahead as you possibly can, and taking 1 or 2 stop flights can really bring down the cost (not great with a little one but hopefully yours is resilient).

Don't understand why you have to book flights separately, but we often book work travel and personal travel separately and don't have a problem using the airline website to select adjacent seats.

They said he couldn't do a connecting flight on his own, so I can't just book him for Des Moines, and we're in essence taking 3 different flights.  So I don't know how to book all three together online and be on the same flights without a booking agent.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 08:16:44 AM »
Instead of vouchers, I opted to get mileage points for Virgin Atlantic through Tesco Clubcard. I have actually got quite a few from there and was able to use them + cash for a discount on my last trip. They also have some deals every once in a while where you get triple points during a time, or similar.

Of course this only helps if you shop at Tesco!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
Instead of vouchers, I opted to get mileage points for Virgin Atlantic through Tesco Clubcard. I have actually got quite a few from there and was able to use them + cash for a discount on my last trip. They also have some deals every once in a while where you get triple points during a time, or similar.

Of course this only helps if you shop at Tesco!
If you want to collect Tesco Club Card points, you can get a MasterCard that is linked to your club card account.  You get points for everything you buy anywhere and extra points for buying from Tesco.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 09:47:07 PM »
It's worth checking STA Travel, especially once your son is old enough to fly on his own.  I often find that they are cheaper than other sites.  Additionally, they often have cheap direct flights between London and US hubs.  You may luck and out be able to book several affordable one-way tickets for each leg of the trip. 

Keep an eye out for deals on sites like Expedia- we once lucked into a roundtrip ticket from Heathrow to Dulles for 400pounds for 2 weeks flying July 3rd.  They do exist... sometimes!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 01:00:23 AM »
I'm not sure if you use Facebook, but I follow a page called Secret Flying (they also have a website). Chicago is the closest major airport to me and I frequently see roundtrip flights to the UK from ORD for around $400. It might be worth following just to know when sales are on.

Also, I've booked flights separately from my partner in the past and arranged seats next to each other later. I imagine with a child involved the airline wouldn't want them to be sitting alone without a parent or guardian, so you could just call and ask after you booked, or arrange it at the airport perhaps? Just a thought.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab