Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American Moving to the UK - Introducing Myself  (Read 1321 times)

• Liked: 1893
Re: American Moving to the UK - Introducing Myself
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 11:54:49 AM »
For some fun, try listening to "The Archers " on radio 4 or by podcast.  It's a soap that's been running for 50 years or so, but it's OK for posh people to listen to as well.  You'll learn much about village life, farming and British accents.  At first you can just listen to the different accents until you get hooked on the story.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
Pssst........N Yorkshire.

I grew up with rain......so not an issue. I've lived in warm climates (Okinawa).....didn't like it after a couple of years. The summers could be better but I moved back for good in 2015 and may not bother to even go back to the US for a visit. I've also lived in several places in southern England.....weather tends to be milder "down there". You would have to give me LOTS of money to even consider living in London. Harrogate is too big for me but considering I play a lot of golf, walk a lot.......the quiet life is better.
Fred

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »
Wow! It's definitely different from the "tourist" experiences that I've had. I've been to many of the small villages in England, but I never knew what it was like to live there. Do you work in the country or do you travel to London/a larger city? Do you think that would help your situation if you could travel to a larger city?

I know what you mean about the polite/friendly difference. Not totally, because I've never lived there, but I've heard it. I've also heard nepotism is a big thing in the smaller villages.

Do you find that the country is more of the "traditional British" lifestyle you see so much of in pop culture? You know what I mean... afternoon tea, polite and classy people, stiff upper lip... or do you find that the small country areas are as progressive as London?

Thanks for all the great insight!

I used to work in the City but fortunately have switched roles and work in the sticks now (primarily from home).  While I would prefer living in a bigger city I would NOT live in London.  I loved visiting London as a tourist.  I do not even like visiting as a resident now.  WAY too crowded, touristy, and just plain exhausting.  Great food options though! You can get Mexican there!!

Traditional British lifestyle only exists in movies!

I recently saw Bridget Jones's Baby.  LOVED it by the way.  But I did laugh.  If that is what life in England is like, I'd love it here!  It's SOOO not a good representation of the NHS, festivals, or nightlife.  :P

This is obviously very tongue-in-cheek... yet I can relate to all of them!!
https://www.buzzfeed.com/beckybarnicoat/holidays-in-britain-vs-holidays-in-america?utm_term=.plL5O4bkw#.ag31ApgOy

• Liked: 533
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 04:30:06 PM »
Target parking lot in August in Florida.

That's all I'm saying.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 04:55:14 PM »
I used to work in the City but fortunately have switched roles and work in the sticks now (primarily from home).  While I would prefer living in a bigger city I would NOT live in London.  I loved visiting London as a tourist.  I do not even like visiting as a resident now.  WAY too crowded, touristy, and just plain exhausting.  Great food options though! You can get Mexican there!!

Traditional British lifestyle only exists in movies!

I recently saw Bridget Jones's Baby.  LOVED it by the way.  But I did laugh.  If that is what life in England is like, I'd love it here!  It's SOOO not a good representation of the NHS, festivals, or nightlife.  :P

This is obviously very tongue-in-cheek... yet I can relate to all of them!!
https://www.buzzfeed.com/beckybarnicoat/holidays-in-britain-vs-holidays-in-america?utm_term=.plL5O4bkw#.ag31ApgOy

Man, that link really hits close to the bone!   Every one of those is actually true. 

I think they missed the point of "Surfing in the UK".  That's the Severn bore, a wave that travels for miles and surfers can stay on it for a long time, like 30 minutes.  I think any of the surfers in the US would be chuffed to try to surf the Bore.

The lady swimming in the bin is great, sometimes my leisure centre feels like that. 

People forget that they just got indoor toilets here in the 60s, many houses still have the bathroom obviously stuck on the back of the house as an afterthought .  People didn't have showers or baths in their houses either in the 60s as well.

When did rationing end ?  I'm guessing the 60s as well.  When I first moved here, every single pub closed at 11!

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 04:56:55 PM »

That's all I'm saying.

Is that where you lost your virginity?

• Liked: 12
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 05:02:10 PM »
Lived here (Leeds) for 20 odd years and found so many things here so refreshing (I came just after the Watergate hoo-ha)  Public transportation, specialty shops like butchers, bakers, greengrocers, etc., milk delivery and a government that seemed pretty honest.  I lamented not being close to a world class art museum but you never get everything. 
I then had to return to the US and get re-acclimated there.  Finally able to come back and tried to fit in with the old life here.  And guess what? it's changed and still changing.  What was once a quiet suburban road is now a rat run for speeding maniacs.  I wouldn't dream of trying to drive here now.  People don't really queue anymore -- the chaos of getting on a bus is almost as bad as back in the US.  The village feel to our local shopping area has disappeared to trendy coffee shops, hair dressers and estate agents.  Even our bank branch has shut down.  I used to have confidence in the NHS but not so much now.
Well, maybe it would be different in the country ...
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 05:06:51 PM »

That's all I'm saying.

I'm just thinking that the parking space would actually be large enough for my car.... and a shopping cart that actually rolls forward!  So long as I get a shady spot under a tree, bring it on!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 09:02:51 PM »
When did rationing end ?  I'm guessing the 60s as well. 

Midnight on July 4, 1954 (Happy Independence Day!).  My husband's grandmother remembers getting a whole penny to spend at the candy store and she and her siblings got really ill because they had never had that much sugar.

I have some of the same annoyances with the UK as KFDancer.  Early closing times, crowds, how it takes ages to do just about anything here.  Need a bank account?  Come back in a month and bring your first child to exchange.  But there are also things I love about the UK.  The country is just beautiful and there is always something to explore!  And it shouldn't take you too long to get there when compared to the US (shouldn't being the optimal word).  I still love visiting London.  The museums are amazing and I have been to more concerts and shows living an hour away than I did in the US.  Definitely couldn't live in the city for any considerable length of time, though.  I make a pittance at my current job and could make almost double if I worked in London but I just can't face the commute.  Find somewhere that you enjoy living and, hopefully, you will settle right in.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 533
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 08:51:28 AM »
Is that where you lost your virginity?

Twenty-four hours later and I still got nothing...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab