Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Trick or Treaters  (Read 1643 times)

• Liked: 4985
Trick or Treaters
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:47:46 PM »
I have yet to have one since moving to the UK.

I moved last year on October 23rd, so I'm a bit more hopeful at our new house.  Last year things were chaotic so we didn't have a pumpkin.  I did see kids out but no one knocked on our door.

This year I have had pumpkins out for weeks.  I also have added a sign that says "Trick or treating this way" pointing at the door (premade).  I feel like I'm desperately trying to drum up business!

5:47pm and no one yet....

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Re: Trick or Treaters
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:06:27 PM »
I have the light on outside, as well as the one in our foyer, plus an Autumn/pumpkin wreath on the door.  We've had two trick-or-treaters tonight.  I think last year was the 'biggest' year with about 8, IIRC. It's 8 p.m. now so I guess nobody else is coming. With all the decorations and costumes I've seen on sale this year, I really thought there would be more children.

If I knew those two would be the only ones coming tonight, I would have given them ALL the candy! :D
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 134
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 08:20:31 PM »
We had one last year and he straight up asked for money.  Cheeky little monkey...
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
We had one last year and he straight up asked for money.  Cheeky little monkey...

WHAT?!?  That's crazy!

Well, we are up to 15!  Four knocks.  Lights are still on, so we'll see if the tally increases.  A local American friend had 240 pieces of candy and was giving each kid two and had only 12 pieces left by about 7pm.  So a different neighbourhood can make all the difference I guess!

• Liked: 19
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 10:59:12 PM »
I'd say we've had 5-6 groups, about 12 kids total.  Most just did the standard 'Trick-or-Treat', but a few of them also told us a joke (which is the traditional thing in Scotland-- they're supposed to do their 'party piece'.)

Knock, Knock.
Who's there?
Boo.
Boo who?
Don't be scared, it's only a costume! :p

This is the most we've had in 5 years, but I put that down entirely to geography.  There were only three boys in our old village, but they did come 'round every year.

I wasn't sure what to expect.  Some co-workers who live not-too-far-away say they've never had any at all, but I figured since we're just up the street from a primary school, and there are plenty of kids in the neighbourhood, we might get a few.  I actually suspect we had fewer than we might have, because of the rain.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 06:35:48 AM »
Our door was only chapped once last night, but we are Halloween scrooges and didn't answer it. 

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:14:48 AM »
We had about 30 kids total yesterday.   I gave away all the crappy Haribo and fortunately didn't have to give away any of the malteasers. 

My kids brought back tons of candy, but it's all the same junk from pound land.  I looked through their bags and there was maybe one chocolate bar each.  I hate to sound overly harsh on my hosts, but    People could do better.  Next Hallowe'en I swear I'm going to give away some good stuff, maybe even candy corn.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »

Just talked to someone at work who said the kids were asking for money as well.  Where did that come from? 

• Liked: 31
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »
Money is actually the traditional thing here, because it was all about getting a penny for the Guy- gathering money to buy the materials to build an effigy of Guy Fawkes for Bonfire Night.

In Scotland, trick or treating is called guising, and you're supposed to tell a joke or sing a song in exchange for a treat or some money. You're supposed to carve neeps (aka turnip, Swede or rutabaga depending on where you're from) to make jack o'lanterns.

I think it's really sad that the local traditions are getting Americanised, and am actually glad to hear that they're catching on more slowly than other Americanisations. Trick or treating is great fun in the US, but it's not a thing here, and it feels like shops are trying to force it on the UK to make more money.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 35
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 12:28:23 PM »
Money is actually the traditional thing here, because it was all about getting a penny for the Guy- gathering money to buy the materials to build an effigy of Guy Fawkes for Bonfire Night.

When I was a kid other kids that did this brought the effigy around in a wheelbarrow.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »
Why do you guys up there hate Catholics so much?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 31
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 12:47:21 PM »
Burning the effigy is not just a Scottish thing, everybody hated catholics  ;)
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 12:53:17 PM »
For those of you who live in regions that have a Halloween culture, I can see where the Americanisation is annoying.

I don't want life to be American here - that would be boring.  But I am glad to see a kid-focused fun holiday start to creep over here.  I really enjoyed taking my daughter to a pumpkin patch this year and picking pumpkins, carving them, and putting a few decorations out front.  She thought it was so fun that kids kept knocking at the door and got treats.  We didn't take her around as she received two pieces of candy at nursery which caused EPIC meltdowns last night.  Maybe next year.   ;)  I felt Halloween created a really nice family weekend for us this year.  I know it's not for everyone. 

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »

In Scotland, trick or treating is called guising, and you're supposed to tell a joke or sing a song in exchange for a treat or some money. You're supposed to carve neeps (aka turnip, Swede or rutabaga depending on where you're from) to make jack o'lanterns.

I think it's really sad that the local traditions are getting Americanised, and am actually glad to hear that they're catching on more slowly than other Americanisations. Trick or treating is great fun in the US, but it's not a thing here, and it feels like shops are trying to force it on the UK to make more money.

Thanks for that answer, it makes sense now.  And I completely agree that American customs taking over is not great.  I also thought that they carved Turnips because they didn't have any pumpkins.

Down here in London I've never been asked for a penny for the guy, nor did any of our trick or treaters tell a joke so I can't work up any sorrow for Hallowe'en taking over.

Still, when I do go out trick or treating with the kids I get a lot of complaints as soon as they hear my accent.  Of course, these numpties have carved a pumpkin and decorated their house, but they still feel the need to moan at me for the creeping Americanisation. 

• Liked: 585
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »

I do like seeing the kids come round the pubs with their 'guys'.  Some of them are really detailed!  And sometimes the 'guy' collection money is for a charity, which I like.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:26:39 PM by Albatross »

Sponsored Links