Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US citizens based in London voting for Trump. (Request)  (Read 1618 times)

• Liked: 149
Re: US citizens based in London voting for Trump. (Request)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 05:02:22 PM »
Yep....the comments of Trump supporters are stupid.......and followed by Brexit supporters are stupid.   Both comments are wrong. Saying Clinton supporters are (fill in the reason)......or Leave supporters are (fill in the reason)......all wrong. Each side has the right to their view......as much as I thoroughly dislike Trump and what I think he stands for.....those people do have the right to their views. A number of comments already on this thread are just a little scary in the other direction towards censorship.
Fred

• Liked: 533
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 08:57:29 AM »
I am pretty much just not a fan of 'man in the street' journalism (I don't like 'what this means for the pound in your pocket' sort of things either).

Let's say you are walking out of a shop, and there is a reporter with a microphone...."What do you think of the new parking charges?" she asks. The only real answer is, "Well, it's complicated" or "How long have you got?".

If the shopper blurts out, "It'll kill the high street!", I don't know how much value there is to that. It immediately raises questions about how Mr. Shopper came to that conclusion.

Journalism is in a tough spot right now, it's true. I freely admit that I often scan an article and then pretty quickly pop down to the comment section. And it irks me that many outlets are drastically curtailing below the line. I see patterns (which is a sign of madness maybe) in the sorts of articles with open comments.....why are some open and some not?

The 'story' with Trump....even behind the seeming reticence of supporters to engage in debate....is how the heck has it come to this, and further that there exists in the US right now conditions which have allowed this thing to happen. It is a story of economic decline and how it is being handled.

To address this you will have to write a big book or an exposé ....and probably no one will read it. And no one funds that sort of thing much anymore.

So your professor is probably, in a way, right to be letting you know now that journalism is/has evolving/evolved into sound bite and quick quote.....or poaching articles from Reddit and Mumsnet.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 11:02:54 AM »
Yep....the comments of Trump supporters are stupid.......and followed by Brexit supporters are stupid.   Both comments are wrong. Saying Clinton supporters are (fill in the reason)......or Leave supporters are (fill in the reason)......all wrong. Each side has the right to their view......as much as I thoroughly dislike Trump and what I think he stands for.....those people do have the right to their views. A number of comments already on this thread are just a little scary in the other direction towards censorship.

Nobody is saying that people don't have a right to express their views. I will fight for the right of the Ku Klux Klan to publish their views and tell us what they think of black people.  I also have the right to call them racist and ridicule their beliefs.  I don't owe them any respect and will give them none .  Nothing I said was telling this journalist that she should not report the views of a Trump supporter , only that it does not represent the truth as far as I know it to feature those views in her article, because those views do not "feature" in reality.

It would be a logical fallacy to say that all Trump supporters are stupid and nobody is saying that.  It's an opinion to say that voting for both Brexit and Trump is a stupid thing to do.  People can disagree if they like. I don't have to respect their viewpoint. 

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 11:11:11 AM »
SoS, I agree with you.  Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

During the Olympics, me and my kids were walking down the street and a news reporter was there with her camera.  She asked if I wanted to comment on Mo Fara winning something or getting a medal.  I told her I'm not interested and know nothing special about it.  She was like "That's fine, just say anything or let your kids say any old rubbish and if it's cute enough we'll put it on TV as news " (I paraphrase)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Yeah, these are generally reporters you're talking about and reporters are under pressure to produce *anything* they can to keep up with what is essentially a 24 hour news cycle. I actually am not too interested in being a reporter. My interest lies in feature writing - interesting people, places and events. Lots of colour. Straight news reporting doesn't appeal to me and my experience of it hasn't endeared me to it.

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
Straight news reporting doesn't appeal to me and my experience of it hasn't endeared me to it.

I have a friend who was a beat reporter for a local. He said you haven't lived until you have interviewed a sweaty, career-minded district councillor about a planning application.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 01:33:06 PM »
Yeah, these are generally reporters you're talking about and reporters are under pressure to produce *anything* they can to keep up with what is essentially a 24 hour news cycle. I actually am not too interested in being a reporter. My interest lies in feature writing - interesting people, places and events. Lots of colour. Straight news reporting doesn't appeal to me and my experience of it hasn't endeared me to it.

Okay, at least you've got your priorities decided .  It's not a bad choice if you enjoy it and if you want to move into public relations at a later time then you are well placed.  I was having a hard time suppressing my opinion that journalism is a dead profession and you should look elsewhere for a job. 

• Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 02:56:52 PM »
I have to say, I don't think journalism is dead at all. Certainly, a particular type of journalism (if you can indeed call it that) has taken over and there's a big move over to click bait and churnalism and what have you. But I still think there is a place in the world for proper journalism, whether that be of the investigative type or long-read features and even straight reportage, depending on the story.

Now, there may not be a lot of money in that but in my previous profession (sales) - I'm actually a slightly older student, at nearly 30 - I was making a load of money, but I wasn't happy. Writing makes me happy. I own my home, so I'm in the fortunate position where, although not rich, I can afford to earn less whilst doing something I actually enjoy.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »
I own my home, so I'm in the fortunate position where, although not rich, I can afford to earn less whilst doing something I actually enjoy.

That is worth a LOT. Very few have that opportunity.
Fred

• Liked: 82
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 06:29:25 PM »
Nobody is saying that people don't have a right to express their views. I will fight for the right of the Ku Klux Klan to publish their views and tell us what they think of black people.  I also have the right to call them racist and ridicule their beliefs.  I don't owe them any respect and will give them none .  Nothing I said was telling this journalist that she should not report the views of a Trump supporter , only that it does not represent the truth as far as I know it to feature those views in her article, because those views do not "feature" in reality.

It would be a logical fallacy to say that all Trump supporters are stupid and nobody is saying that.  It's an opinion to say that voting for both Brexit and Trump is a stupid thing to do.  People can disagree if they like. I don't have to respect their viewpoint.
everyone has the right to their opinions, and while you don't have to respect the opinion or person, to ridicule them is wrong. It causes things like brexit, and trump supporters. Perks feel that their opinions are worthless or less than someone else's because they were ridiculed. They see something could possibly change that and poof, trump is the candidate.

I was physically sick when I did my ballot. Next Friday will be a sad day no matter what the result

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »
Sorry JennyEye, I feel it is my duty to call out those who have racist and sexist views.  That's our responsibility under the first amendment.  The answer to racist talk is more talk.  If we don't provide the "more talk " bit than all the first amendment does is make it easier for those with repugnant views to be heard. 

Racists, Brexiteers and Trump supporters will never change their minds if we would just stop hurting their feelings, they won't be happy until we build a wall and start blocking people from entering the US because of their religion. 

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 02:44:30 PM »
Yes! And some 'opinions' are demonstrably false.

The Earth isn't flat. If you take the DNA strand of a person of African decent and lay it beside one of a person of Nordic decent, you will indeed see differences. The hair texture sequence is slightly different...skin pigmentation...brow shape....but other than that and personal characteristics, the two are absolutely the same. Anyone making a claim that we are different is absolutely wrong. It's all been mapped now.

And there are certainly no US/UK exceptionalism genes.

US citizens based in London voting for Trump. (Request)
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »
This reminds me a lot of the most recent "this American Life" podcast that I'm halfway through.  A politician was talking about attending a town meeting where, as usual, the Trump supporters were complaining that all they wanted was to be listened to, nobody was addressing their concerns, etc.  He finally said "I'm listening now, what exactly do you want to tell me to do as your representative?"  The answer was "Don't allow any more Somalis to move to our town."   I'm starting to think that the "message" that these Brexit and Trump voters are trying to send is "I'm not racist but could you implement some racist policies because there are too many darkies around here."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:09:39 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 82
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 08:56:14 AM »
Jimbocz, so you are saying all brexiters and trump supporters are racist and sexist?? If so, that is quite ignorant. Unless they are openly being racist or sexist, it is wrong to assume they are. I remember when Hillary and Obama were running for the Democratic nomination, and I was painted as a racist and anti woman for not supporting either. I wasn't asked why or who I even supported.....i was just painted with broad brush stokes 'are you voting Obama' no 'oh you're a Hillary supporter' actually no I'm.... 'oh you're an anti woman racist' and walked away.

So to ridicule or assume someone's reasoning is sexist or racist is completely wrong....unless they are outright racist or sexist in their words or actions...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 09:10:01 AM »
Okay, at least you've got your priorities decided .  It's not a bad choice if you enjoy it and if you want to move into public relations at a later time then you are well placed.  I was having a hard time suppressing my opinion that journalism is a dead profession and you should look elsewhere for a job.
If this person is moving to the UK, without the proper degree and work experience that switch will mean you have to start at the very bottom of the ladder or won't be possible at all. I'm speaking from experience.

I am a Mass Communications: Public Relations and Advertising major and it has been  impossible to get a job in Public Relations here and it is my degree! I've been able to get copywriting and Sales & Marketing jobs. But no PR. Without the "proper qualifications" most employers won't even look twice at your CV.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links