Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello from Stateless Selle:)  (Read 1242 times)

• Liked: 4
Re: Hello from Stateless Selle:)
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »
I'm back in the US at present and find food more expensive. Here's a link to a 28 day economical menu plan which has up to date ingredient costings, which I thought you might find useful: http://www.tinybudgetcooking.com

I'm sure you'll find the NHS a welcome change from having to pay for everything medical, and benefits and employment laws are more generous. And, depending on where you live you might have easy access to public transport! Wishing you luck in your move, please do let us know how it goes :)
Thank you for the link! I am definitely a savvy shopper but food for/to me is cheaper in the US, being a teacher I am entitled to more discounts and programs through being a government employee so this is the main reason why. I'm a very healthy eater and shop primarily at whole foods. I spend roughly $200 a month on food, this included meat. If I can get high quality food for that price over there ;D
Same with the NHS comparison, my health care is provided by my employer, the most I pay out of pocket for the year is $250, so health insurance isn't a pro for me :-\\\\ but because of my citizenship status I think it may be possible to not pay NHS but still be covered by it (looking more into that)through some agreement between the governments.
I definitely look forward to learning and sharing escapades in this move!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »
The Florida connection is funny because in so many ways Florida is the exact opposite of England.  In Florida, you hang out.  In England you awkwardly stand around.

BTW, I'm not so sure about the things you listed as things you know about the UK.  I'd think that it is way easier to get fired in the US, especially in a right to work state.  I think the working conditions are a lot better here, with shorter hours, more holidays and maternity leave.

Taxes are not that much higher, but you get a lot more for your money, including health care.

We do have beaches here as well.
Hi Jimbcoz,
Lol @awkwardly stand around. Whenever my relatives visited this is exactly what they would do!
I think the reason it is not easier to get fired even in a right to work state is because the US is such litigating place. Then if your part of a union even more so. Although I work in a right to work state, I am a tenured teacher and part of the union. I'm pretty covered, losing that security blanket is scary...
Unfortunately taxes for me is higher, being a lowly paid teacher with a dependent, Im pretty much tax exempt. Now if I could be tax exempt overseas ;D ;D
As lovely as beaches around the world can be i their own way, I don't think there's much comparison to a beach in a tropical setting :\\\'( just my preference ;)

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 02:00:18 PM »
I spend roughly $200 a month on food, this included meat. If I can get high quality food for that price over there ;D

The average weekly grocery bill for 2 people in the UK (food, toiletries and laundry) is £60, so that's about £130 ($160) per month per person.

Same with the NHS comparison, my health care is provided by my employer, the most I pay out of pocket for the year is $250, so health insurance isn't a pro for me :-\\\\ but because of my citizenship status I think it may be possible to not pay NHS but still be covered by it (looking more into that)through some agreement between the governments.

Everyone is 'covered' by the NHS in the UK - they can't refuse treatment to anyone.

British citizens who are living permanently in the UK are entitled to free NHS healthcare at point of service. If you will be working in the UK, you will be paying for the NHS out of your income tax and National Insurance contributions.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab