Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving home  (Read 590 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving home
« on: November 04, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »
I'm English, born and raised in Leicester and have lived in Carmel Indiana for a little over 13 years. I've been offered a job back home and we plan on moving early next year, or at least I will be and then next summer applying for a spouse visa for my American wife of 10 years.

So much to consider, 6+ months separation from wife/dogs, going to have to rebuild credit, live in rented accommodation for several years before being able to buy but on the flip side...see more of my son, watching Rugby and having a few pints with my mates, so all in all, cant wait! :)

Hoping to use this forum for advice as we run through the process and learn from others who have been there before me.

Andy.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Moving home
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »
Welcome!  I have family in Carmel.  I haven't been though (my dad's brother, his kids, and their kids, who sadly we aren't very close with).

If you are currently working in the US, no need for a 6 month separation from your wife and children.   :)  You just need to have made a minimum of £18,600 in the 12 months prior to the application and have a job offer paying at least £18,600 starting in the next 3 months.

The rest... well, yeah...  though I work a LOT more hours in the UK than I ever did in the US but I know this isn't everyone's experience.   :)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your move back home :).

One question: are you currently working in the US?

If so, and you've earned at least £18,600 in the previous 12 months, plus you have a job offer in the UK paying more than £18,600, you could apply for a spousal visa for your wife before you move and then you wouldn't need to spend 6 months apart.

There are a couple of differents ways to qualify for the financial requirement for a spousal visa if you are moving back home:

1) You have held a UK job, paying at least £18,600, for at least 6 months before applying for a visa
or
2)
a) You have a guaranteed UK job offer, paying at least £18,600 and starting within 3 months of moving home
AND
b) You have earned at least £18,600 in the US in the previous 12 months before applying

If 2) applies, you could apply for the visa for your wife before starting the job and then you could move together and wouldn't have to be apart for 6 months.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your move back home :).

One question: are you currently working in the US?

If so, and you've earned at least £18,600 in the previous 12 months, plus you have a job offer in the UK paying more than £18,600, you could apply for a spousal visa for your wife before you move and then you wouldn't need to spend 6 months apart.

There are a couple of differents ways to qualify for the financial requirement for a spousal visa if you are moving back home:

1) You have held a UK job, paying at least £18,600, for at least 6 months before applying for a visa
or
2)
a) You have a guaranteed UK job offer, paying at least £18,600 and starting within 3 months of moving home
AND
b) You have earned at least £18,600 in the US in the previous 12 months before applying

If 2) applies, you could apply for the visa for your wife before starting the job and then you could move together and wouldn't have to be apart for 6 months.

Well this is GREAT news, I'm still in the US and earn well in excess of the required amounts, the job I'm being offered (next week) pays well over the 18,600 so we should be set.

I read somewhere that I should open an HSBC back account here in the states and that its then easy to open an account in the UK with them also? I'm currently with PNC and considering closing that down and going with HSBC for a couple of months before the move, anyone had experience with this?

Thanks for the advice!

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 04:42:51 PM »
We used HSBC and have been with them 10 years now, and yes, they'll open a UK account for you while in the US. It was easy and we've had that same account ever since! They're not bad when compared with PNC Bank, certainly (I used to work for them.)

• Liked: 134
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:21:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  I went to university in Leicester and fell in love with the city.  Are you planning on moving back to that area?  Hope everything goes well; this forum is a fantastic place to ask questions or just connect with people in the same situation as you.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 06:01:46 PM »
Yes we (hope) will be moving back to the Leicester area, I have many friends from my Rugby days and of course family too. My wife has met many of my friends who've become her friends too which will make the transition somewhat easier for her.

I've got a final interview next Monday, I'm the preferred candidate so fingers crossed I get an offer very soon so we can start planning.

Sponsored Links