Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A quick question about a dog.  (Read 4642 times)

• Trying to do this right on no money
  • Liked: 1
A quick question about a dog.
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:09:38 PM »
We were legally married in the UK on 24th october this year, she is american and I am english. We know that before hand her dog would not be allowed to stay with me because ownership transfer is not allowed. So, we wondered if he might be allowed to now we are married because technically it's shared ownership now. This is all because we hope he will be able to stay here so he doesn't have to keep going back to america every time my wife has to leave. She hasn't got a spouse visa yet and can't come to visit either because no one will watch him for her anymore.

Posted by this user's husband
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 11:11:54 PM by TryingToUnderstand »
We don't want to break the rules. We just want to be together.

Every day, I remember why I fell in love with him, I remember why I still am and I can see why I always will be.

• Liked: 1892
Re: A quick question about a dog.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
Can you explain what you mean by ownership transfer is not allowed? 

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 02:22:37 PM »
It just means that a foreigner can't take a dog to the UK and leave it with anyone else when they leave. No selling or giving away. It means they expect you to take your pet when you leave xx

With Gavin being my husband now, I am hoping that will mean it would be considered shared property so therefore legal for Simon, my dog, to stay with him until I can return again xx

Flying is hard on an animal and it's VERY expensive ($2500 each way). I also have no one to leave him with in America.

Every day, I remember why I fell in love with him, I remember why I still am and I can see why I always will be.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
Unless I've missed an option that would allow me to leave Simon with my husband?

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:37:51 PM »
You still haven't explained who is telling you that ownership transfer isn't allowed so no one can give you an answer.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:02:34 PM »
The gov.UK website.  I really just want to know if my dog can legally live with my husband when I have to leave the country x

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 05:05:24 PM »
You're definitely misunderstanding something, because for dogs, that's just not the case.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 05:07:19 PM »
Sounds wierd to me as well.  I can't imagine anyone checking or caring. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 09:07:52 PM »
I think we are all confused as none of us think there is any issue here with your dog staying with your husband...

If you really want to do your i's and cross your t's, have the dog's microchip put in your husband's name and address...

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 02:02:10 PM »
Okay, so would I put Simon in husband's name before or after landing?

We're also concerned he'll be flagged for his breed. He's a boxer cattle dog mix and fairly small - 2.5 stone and shoulder the height of my knee - but he's been mislabelled before and they seem to have such strict standards.

Is there a set standard they judge by? Or is there someone specific I can ask to look at him?

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 02:13:19 PM »
Okay, so would I put Simon in husband's name before or after landing?

We're also concerned he'll be flagged for his breed. He's a boxer cattle dog mix and fairly small - 2.5 stone and shoulder the height of my knee - but he's been mislabelled before and they seem to have such strict standards.

Is there a set standard they judge by? Or is there someone specific I can ask to look at him?

But he's already in the UK?

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »
No, he's in America with me still. I just got back a few days ago and fighting to get back to my husband.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 02:36:57 PM »
Ah, I misunderstood.  I thought the dog had been traveling with you back and forth.

There are only a handful of banned breeds in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
He's been mistaken for a pit by people here in America and I'd like a more clear idea of UK standards before sending him off. I'm certain he's NOT but it's at their discretion and I can't figure out their standards in order to assess him myself. If they deem him a banned breed, it could cost thousands more to exempt him or fly him back out and I don't have access to those kinds of funds. 

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
You have quite a bit of paperwork to complete and several vet visits in the US to assist in completing the forms, which have to be validated by the USDA.  By the time your pup gets here, he will definitely be clear for landing.

You can also ask the Animal Reception Centre at the airport you are flying into to review your paperwork (and a photo) before you fly.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab