Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A quick question about a dog.  (Read 4646 times)

• Trying to do this right on no money
  • Liked: 1
Re: A quick question about a dog.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »
He's pretty much gone through most of the process so far xx just needed his last vaccination and booked and no one said anything this far in. Would they flag him here in the states at the airport if they thought he would be an issue?
We don't want to break the rules. We just want to be together.

Every day, I remember why I fell in love with him, I remember why I still am and I can see why I always will be.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 05:03:11 PM »
He's pretty much gone through most of the process so far xx just needed his last vaccination and booked and no one said anything this far in. Would they flag him here in the states at the airport if they thought he would be an issue?

Breed will be part of the paperwork that is being completed.

No, the airport is not going to be any use.  You'll literally have to drop him off at a cargo transport facility who will not know the ins and outs each country's import laws.

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »
Pit bulls are a banned breed to fly except one airline and they charge upwards of $3000-5000 for special crates and such! I just remembered that, so I should technically be okay if they pass him here xx bc he's a boxer mix aka pug nose, I have to fly him special anyway bc a lot of airlines consider them a bigger health risk due to the pug nose.

Every day, I remember why I fell in love with him, I remember why I still am and I can see why I always will be.

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 05:26:40 PM »
Yes, the snub nose is a hurdle!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 07:44:36 AM »
TryingToUnderstand. What worries me is that according to UK law, the dog doesn't actually have to be a Pit Bull or other listed breed, it just needs to look like one in order to be banned.

Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what it looks like, rather than its breed or name.

Example
If your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be a banned type.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

I did a quick search and came up with a couple of animal/dog forums where you could perhaps reach out for some clarification on the UK standards as they apply to your dog.

http://www.ddawatch.co.uk/

http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/advice-on-uk-law-pitbull-types.391130/

I really hope it won't be a problem for you. Please keep us posted.

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »
That's exactly my concern xx

Someone told me his size would protect him bc he's rather small. He could fit in my carry on bag lol But I'd like a bit more solid anything. I've been in contact with the police, DDA Watch, BIP and APHIS as well as some airlines but it's no more clear.

I know I could register him to be exempt if they flagged him but he shouldn't have to go through that and it's very expensive. I'll go through these links later, thank you xx

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 01:41:37 PM »
You seem to be doing all the right things. I really hope that it works out for you!  :)

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 01:45:45 PM »
I think you can get dog DNA tests these days.  Might be worth looking into as well.

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »
Xxx

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 03:44:45 PM »
I think you can get dog DNA tests these days.  Might be worth looking into as well.

That's the problem you see. It doesn't matter what the actual breed of the dog is.

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 03:48:49 PM »
Even with the DNA test? I knew without one, they don't care about anything but looks. I thought with one, they would accept that. Good grief :/

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 04:31:43 PM »
Even with the DNA test? I knew without one, they don't care about anything but looks. I thought with one, they would accept that. Good grief :/

I don't have experience of this myself, rather  I was going by this sentence on the .gov site.

Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what it looks like, rather than its breed or name

It seems to indicate that the breed (which could be determined by DNA) is not important.

I may be misinterpreting. I hope so.

If you ask on one of those forums, please let us know what they say.

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 12:32:44 AM »
Hi TryingToUnderstand.  :)

I was just wondering how you are getting on with your research?
Was anyone on the doggy forums able to help you?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab