Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: has anyone else noticed  (Read 4121 times)

• Liked: 149
Re: has anyone else noticed
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 04:07:55 PM »
That's an  amazing picture .  Looks pretty nice for a mug shot.
I couldn't find one of you holding the axe.......personally....I prefer the adze. The modern one was a lovely yard fixer.
Fred

• Liked: 134
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 10:53:11 PM »
18 - 25 year olds

I was about to be all smug and gloat that at least I was part of that demographic... And then I realized that I no longer am.  Wha?!

I am actually quite proud of my social media friends.  I haven't seen so much blaming.  More disbelief that this is reality.  I think my biggest problem is that I have friends who are, admittedly, accepting themselves, but fail to see how their vote for Trump condones the hate and intolerance of which his campaign consisted.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 07:51:19 AM »
18 - 25 year olds

I don't know if the info is out there yet, but any idea of the percentages of each age group that voted? Was this mostly an older vote (higher percentage)?
Fred

• Liked: 533
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 10:37:47 AM »
This is a pretty good breakdown:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html?_r=0

Too much general info for me on that nytimes post....

The only thing I found in a quick search was some historical % of participation. If what I saw was accurate, the last election in 2012 was
below....approx % since it was on a graph. I'm wondering if this election will show to have similar data. Again....it's the older voters who I would have expected to be voting for Trump.
age- 18-29   40%
        30-44  55%
        45-60   65%
        60+     70%
Fred

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
One thing that surprised me from the results was how black people really voted against Trump.  Doesn't bode well for the next shooting of unarmed black man.  Obama was good at defusing those situations

• Liked: 30
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »
Do I think it's the end of the world that Trump got in? No. I've moved on, and I'm interested to see where these next 4 years will take the country.

I guess you'll be "interested" then to see millions of people lose their health insurance.  And you don't mind that a sexual predator is in the White House?
Or that Russia may now have its man as President?

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 07:36:42 PM »
I guess you'll be "interested" then to see millions of people lose their health insurance.  And you don't mind that a sexual predator is in the White House?
Or that Russia may now have its man as President?

Yep.....this might happen......or not. I think if the media was into everybody's life in the last 100 years like it is now......I don't think we would be looking so fondly of a bunch of presidents. JFK is remembered so fondly, but supposedly had a zillion affairs.

The point is.....Trump did win. Now we can either fight about it or try to make the best of it. It might actually turn out well.......or not. But if you expect the worst.....your odds of getting it certainly increase.

Fred

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »
Yep.....this might happen......or not. I think if the media was into everybody's life in the last 100 years like it is now......I don't think we would be looking so fondly of a bunch of presidents. JFK is remembered so fondly, but supposedly had a zillion affairs.

The point is.....Trump did win. Now we can either fight about it or try to make the best of it. It might actually turn out well.......or not. But if you expect the worst.....your odds of getting it certainly increase.

Your analogy to JFK doesn't hold up.  Those were consensual affairs, not the grabbing of women's private areas.  That's sexual assault.

I don't think there's any doubt that we've gotten the worst.  Encouraging the Russians to interfere with an American election is about as low as it goes for me.  In addition, I think it would be a mistake for women in particular and other minorities and people that Trump has attacked NOT to fight him and his despicable policies and attitudes as much as possible.  Otherwise we enable rape culture, racism, sexism, and attacks on vulnerable and innocent people.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 06:24:32 AM »

Fred, you know you aren't fooling anyone, don't you?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 07:09:38 AM »
Yeah....I know.

The only real point I was trying to make....there are people on this site (and all over) who very easily condemn people (and Brexit).....sometimes without much of a reason. Yes, I also think Trump is a nasty piece of work.......but some of the people I am in contact with would then turn around and ignore all of Clintons iffy actions and make excuses for them when I pointed them out...not fair. I stand by my opinion that both candidates were terrible. I still stand behind my opinion that this was the voters fault....we vote people into position (usually)......we get what we vote for. Part of me doesn't blame Trump for being what he is.......people voted for him, that's who I blame. Are these people stupid (as some have suggested).....I've no idea and don't claim to know....and some have condemned them for this.

The election is over. That I know of.....it was fair. (I won't go into what I think about changing District lines etc) Am I happy about it....hell no. But as with Brexit (remember....I stated a number of times that if I could have voted I would have voted Remain....barely)....there are a lot of people who just can't handle things when they don't go their way. Should we/you be happy about it? No. I really am worried about Trump doing something really silly while in power. But.....unless something happens that I don't know about I choose to hope for the positive....and that what I consider the political F***up that our system has turned into.....and (the bad word again) that our big business/financial system has turned into....can be straightened out at least a little bit. I do think if Clinton would have won (I was hoping....really).... it would have just been business as usual and nothing would have changed.

I am hoping for positive things. I choose not to see nothing but disaster so that afterwards I can sit back and say "See....I told you Trump (or Brexit) was going to doom us all".

My final parting shot......Trump sucks, Clinton sucked a little less.

Fred
Fred

• Liked: 68
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »
Facebook specifically, for the rest of the day  ;)

Two days later I think I should still avoid Facebook. Just saw a grown man's comment about Trump's victory: "We won, you lose nananana boo boo."

• Liked: 111
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »
Debate should be based on fact.

"Clinton won 54% of all women voters in the 2016 election. In 2008, Obama locked in 93% of the black vote." (the 2008 vote includes conservative blacks who voted for Obama. According to exit polls [always dangerous], in 2016, 89% of Republican women voted for Trump.)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2016/11/10/trump-election-white-women-sexism-racism/93611984/

There is an excellent breakdown of voters (2016) from exit polls on CNN. Very detailed. You can also find an equal breakdown for any State.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls/national/president

Be very careful with accusations. Anyone care to define misandrist?

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »

Be very careful with accusations. Anyone care to define misandrist?

Your point is?

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 11:49:33 AM »
misandrist- hatred of men/boys....I was kind of lost on the point as well.

I tried to figure out what the % of eligible voters at each age group were......I failed.....of course I gave up after the first failure, but I gave it a try. I was hoping there would be something like this out there......the % in the past have tended to go up with the age.

18-29   10 million total, 4 million voted = 40%
30-44   15 million total, 8 million voted = 53%
45-64   20 million total, 13 million voted = 65%

The numbers are made up....no idea what they really are. I was just wondering if again the older voters just participated more.......or what? Not sure if the age group numbers skewed things.....18-29=11 years, 30-44=14 years, 45-64=19 years
Fred

Sponsored Links