Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: has anyone else noticed  (Read 4119 times)

Re: has anyone else noticed
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.
James Dewar

Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.
G.K. Chesterton

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!
Lewis Carroll

• Liked: 111
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2016, 10:35:04 AM »
Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.
G.K. Chesterton

You . are . good!

I read your linked work on Daily Kos. I see someone with communication skills far superior to us average UK Yankee posters. I accept your criticism of my laziness concerning the provision of links in this thread.

I've also watched the Jonathon Pie clip. How does one laugh, cry, and cheer all at the same time?

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
Has anyone watched the movie "Idiocracy"?  It's a very biting satire of American culture, so biting that it was pretty unpopular.  Looks like a documentary now. 

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2016, 12:34:27 PM »
"Just throwing out quotes doesn't constitute an argument."
Abraham Lincoln
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »
You . are . good!

I read your linked work on Daily Kos. I see someone with communication skills far superior to us average UK Yankee posters. I accept your criticism of my laziness concerning the provision of links in this thread.
Thank you. As for the provision of links, on the contrary, thanks for the challenge. You never know where searches will lead. Mine informed me that Geithner, a chief architect of the bailout, has been safely evacuated through that revolving door to a private equity firm.

I've also watched the Jonathon Pie clip. How does one laugh, cry, and cheer all at the same time?
Very carefully, if one makes the mistake of eating lunch when clicking on that link.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:43:13 AM by conjunctionjunction »

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2016, 06:01:57 AM »
"Just throwing out quotes doesn't constitute an argument."
Abraham Lincoln

Merely putting it out there that you don't think someone has an open mind does not constitute an argument, either. In any case, no further engagement was sought (“Not getting into this with anyone else.”) Works for me, as they say; “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!” being a memo to self not to spend too much time online pondering who’s more entrenched. With no further dialogue on offer at the moment, there are worse ways of amusing ourselves than by trading quotations.

Duty Calls
XKCD

The ballot is stronger than the bullet.
Abraham Lincoln, reputed vampire hunter

Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?
ibid.

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
Lewis Carroll

I’ve got no ego; I just like to have thousands of people write to me and tell me how wonderful I am.
Jim Beaver
(another fan here)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:51:41 AM by conjunctionjunction »

• Liked: 82
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »
Sadly, I feel I have to start with 'I'm not a trump supporter' cause if one so much as disagrees with Clinton, you are a racist, sexist, sexual predator

The argument of trump being a sexual predator ceases to be a reliable argument when I see Clinton supporters with signs calling for the ACTUAL rape of Melania. Yes trump is scum, but now his opponents supporters are at the sane level of scum.

The argument of racist, xenophobic against trump, cease to be a valid argument when Clinton supporters are publicly screaming about the fact that their is an immigrant who 'barely speaks English' moving into the white house.

With trump and Clinton (why she ran as Hillary annoyed me) it wasn't the lesser of two evils, it was choosing a devil to live with. Clinton shouldn't have been better, trump won't be better. Neither supporters are better than the other, there is ignorance and racism on both sides.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »
The argument of trump being a sexual predator ceases to be a reliable argument when I see Clinton supporters with signs calling for the ACTUAL rape of Melania. Yes trump is scum, but now his opponents supporters are at the sane level of scum.

You are aware of this thing called "alt right"? Here's an article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/opinion/sunday/lies-in-the-guise-of-news-in-the-trump-era.html

But more importantly, there is a vast difference, even if this sign is real, between a terrible person (who should be arrested) holding up a sign and electing as president someone who personifies systemic sexism.

On a technical note, with Photoshop, there is a function which allows you to alter the perceived angle of a plane. You just select the object, choose 'rotate', and either using the mouse in freestyle, or the arrow keys, or selecting the degree of the turn, you can make the object appear to be viewed at different angles.

I don't know why the person who created these images didn't know this....maybe he was in a hurry? Because that sign, if it were real, wouldn't always be facing different cameras from multiple angles.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 82
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2016, 09:32:39 AM »
Regardless if the sign was fake, which I've only seen once, the amount of actual people posting that she should be raped on my social media timelines is appalling.

I'm talking 20+ people. Posting her modeling pictures with lines like, 'she should be raped' 'if you act like a hoe, it is now time for me to see you get raped'

So regardless of a fake sign, this is wrong, the people agreeing with posts like this is wrong. And people using trumps disgusting behavior as a reason he shouldn't be President but think it is ok to post vile things like this, loss ALL credibility with me.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
Regardless if the sign was fake, which I've only seen once, the amount of actual people posting that she should be raped on my social media timelines is appalling.

I'm talking 20+ people. Posting her modeling pictures with lines like, 'she should be raped' 'if you act like a hoe, it is now time for me to see you get raped'

So regardless of a fake sign, this is wrong, the people agreeing with posts like this is wrong. And people using trumps disgusting behavior as a reason he shouldn't be President but think it is ok to post vile things like this, loss ALL credibility with me.

Point taken. I hope they track these people down and prosecute.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
JennyEye, can we just walk through that first argument together?  You are saying that because some supporters of Hillary have suggested that Malania should be raped, that this somehow means that Trump did not actually sexually assault some women.  Or he might have but it just doesn't matter to you because the supporters on the other side have said such horrible things? 

Just in this one particular tiny argument, I can't get my head around your logic.  Are you saying that because people who supported Hillary did this terrible thing, then you couldn't possibly vote for her?  You do know that Hillary personally never advocated the rape of Malania?  Or anyone else? 

Can you give me some more details on how exactly you think that because Clinton supporters have done a certain thing it makes what Trump did less important?  I'm also interested in wether you think that offensive talk on FB is equivalent to actually sexually assaulting someone? 

Sponsored Links