Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting asked about Trump.  (Read 2743 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Getting asked about Trump.
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 08:59:40 PM »
By nutjobs.......I am meaning people who are behaving badly.......not people who are videoing it. Thought it was obvious........ why would you think I am calling someone who is just videoing something a nutjob? The definition I see states "mad or crazy person". I lump people who do bad things to other people into this catagory.

And you have the guts to say since I am an American white male I'm obviously better off? Wow! Yep.....once you've seen one American white guy you've seen them all.....

Guts? It's called white privilege. I can  readily admit that I have benefited from it in my life. I didnt know at the time. But I know now.

And yeah, it's obvious that under this new administration a white American male is 'better off.' Much better off than a Muslim American male.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »
Guts? It's called white privilege. I can  readily admit that I have benefited from it in my life. I didnt know at the time. But I know now.

And yeah, it's obvious that under this new administration a white American male is 'better off.' Much better off than a Muslim American male.

Agreed. But you have no idea what kind of life I have led....it could have been tough as hell.....it could have been easy....you've made an assumption. I wouldn't make that kind of comment towards you. I certainly didn't grow up with much money......I just saved it like hell.
Fred

• Liked: 9
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Agreed. But you have no idea what kind of life I have led....it could have been tough as hell.....it could have been easy....you've made an assumption. I wouldn't make that kind of comment towards you. I certainly didn't grow up with much money......I just saved it like hell.
This was supposed to be a light look at the election, not showing your lack of understanding of the difference between class and race privilege.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »
This was supposed to be a light look at the election, not showing your lack of understanding of the difference between class and race privilege.

Details?
Fred

• Liked: 533
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »
Fred, you will never be left standing by a taxi because of your skin colour, or have your ass stroked in a copy room. Or be asked if you are thinking of starting a family during a job interview. Being poor and white is awful, but there are added layers.

I thought we were beyond this sort of thing, that we all knew this.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
Getting asked about Trump.
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »
Wow,  how did Mr Mandolin end up being the apologist for Trump and the face of white privilege?  Give the guy a break, he's never argued for racism, sexism or privilege.  I think it was obvious that he was not referring to the posters but to the perpetrators.

Save your anger for somebody who deserves it. 

Too bad there aren't some real Trump supporters on this forum, but then again if I want to argue with wackos there are plenty of other places on the internet that can provide that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:04:35 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2016, 01:07:13 PM »
Too bad there aren't some real Trump supporters on this forum

Well, again, with polling...we are seeing that the Right has adapted. Many of their positions, when voiced, draw scorn from those who believe in, I don't know, simple things like reason and science. So they now...and again, this isn't just me saying this....hide their intentions and beliefs, adopting the language of open debate, but when all is said and done, pull the switch for someone like Trump. It's what is warping polling.

I am not sure what people who believe in science and rational thought are supposed to do now, dumb down so that people on the Right don't feel ridiculed when they say the Earth is only 7K years old? Or that pumping high levels of carbon into the atmosphere doesn't cause temperature change? Or that women can be groped? Or that people of African decent seem to be inherently criminal? Because that is a step back. And again I had thought we were past that sort of idiocy.

Now I am unsure about this Joe Factory idea. That they swung the election. Stats are showing a bit of a different story (if we can trust them). Could it be a protective urge from well-off retirees? Or, as has been written about, is it white male rage?

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
Wow,  how did Mr Mandolin end up being the apologist for Trump and the face of white privilege?  Give the guy a break, he's never argued for racism, sexism or privilege.  I think it was obvious that he was not referring to the posters but to the perpetrators.

Save your anger for somebody who deserves it. 

Too bad there aren't some real Trump supporters on this forum, but then again if I want to argue with wackos there are plenty of other places on the internet that can provide that.

No one once said he was any of those things. He chose to interpret them that way.

And every white person is "the face" of white privilege. It's the way it works.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2016, 03:46:45 PM »
Well, again, with polling...we are seeing that the Right has adapted. Many of their positions, when voiced, draw scorn from those who believe in, I don't know, simple things like reason and science. So they now...and again, this isn't just me saying this....hide their intentions and beliefs, adopting the language of open debate, but when all is said and done, pull the switch for someone like Trump. It's what is warping polling.

I am not sure what people who believe in science and rational thought are supposed to do now, dumb down so that people on the Right don't feel ridiculed when they say the Earth is only 7K years old? Or that pumping high levels of carbon into the atmosphere doesn't cause temperature change? Or that women can be groped? Or that people of African decent seem to be inherently criminal? Because that is a step back. And again I had thought we were past that sort of idiocy.

Now I am unsure about this Joe Factory idea. That they swung the election. Stats are showing a bit of a different story (if we can trust them). Could it be a protective urge from well-off retirees? Or, as has been written about, is it white male rage?
No. White men have went for Republicans since Johnson. It was white women that moved significantly. 53% for Trump.

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
No one once said he was any of those things. He chose to interpret them that way.

And every white person is "the face" of white privilege. It's the way it works.
What???? I've suggested.....racism? etc etc etc.....where????!!!!! Give me details....accurate ones.....not the ones you make up in your head. I have repeatedly said Trump is a terrible person (I still say so).......... I have NO idea how you have interpreted anything I have said to appear in this way. The most that I can think of that offends you is that since the bastard IS going to be the head honcho.....that I suggested we make the best of it (damn that looking for the positive side of things......yuk). Yeah.......that's a horrible way of looking at things. I have repeatedly AGREED with you that Trump is a horrible person.......what is YOUR problem? What are you looking for? Do you know?

sonofasailor......you have no idea what I have put up with.....or not put up with....in my life. You are guessing...... again.....I wouldn't make these assumptions of you.....and I'M the bad person?

This will be my last post (until I need help with my next visa....not on this section). The intolerance and pre-judgement from several people is really scary. Kind of Trump-like in the prejudice. I really dislike Trump....I'm not a Clinton fan. That for some reason makes me a bad person.......Yeah, that's mature thinking.

jimbocz.....we haven't agreed on a lot of things.....but you have seemed a reasonable person. Thanks for looking at my views without the prejudice/pre-conceived view of some others. I think there are too many people here that just don't like life......and look for the worst in others.....in my opinion that's a terrible way to view things.
Fred

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2016, 07:38:18 PM »
What???? I've suggested.....racism? etc etc etc.....where????!!!!! Give me details....accurate ones.....not the ones you make up in your head. I have repeatedly said Trump is a terrible person (I still say so).......... I have NO idea how you have interpreted anything I have said to appear in this way. The most that I can think of that offends you is that since the bastard IS going to be the head honcho.....that I suggested we make the best of it (damn that looking for the positive side of things......yuk). Yeah.......that's a horrible way of looking at things. I have repeatedly AGREED with you that Trump is a horrible person.......what is YOUR problem? What are you looking for? Do you know?

sonofasailor......you have no idea what I have put up with.....or not put up with....in my life. You are guessing...... again.....I wouldn't make these assumptions of you.....and I'M the bad person?

This will be my last post (until I need help with my next visa....not on this section). The intolerance and pre-judgement from several people is really scary. Kind of Trump-like in the prejudice. I really dislike Trump....I'm not a Clinton fan. That for some reason makes me a bad person.......Yeah, that's mature thinking.

jimbocz.....we haven't agreed on a lot of things.....but you have seemed a reasonable person. Thanks for looking at my views without the prejudice/pre-conceived view of some others. I think there are too many people here that just don't like life......and look for the worst in others.....in my opinion that's a terrible way to view things.
You fundamentally misunderstand the difference between class and race privilege. Here's a 101:

I'm a white trans woman. In terms of a "hard life" I've had a very hard one. Yet I still have white privilege. It sounds as if you think it's an accusation. It's not.

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2016, 11:06:34 PM »
I've personally apologised to f4mandolin for making him feel attacked. That was never my intention.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab