Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Who's seen Arrival?  (Read 2079 times)

• Liked: 1891
Who's seen Arrival?
« on: November 14, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
No Spoilers!!!

I went to see it on Saturday and found it to be pretty interesting.  It's kind of a thinking person's sci fi movie with no fantasy stuff.

The physics fans on this forum will appreciate the bits about the nature of time.

Anyone else seen it?

• Liked: 533
Re: Who's seen Arrival?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »
I will now. I was worried it was sort of another Independence Day.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »
No, the exact opposite.  Some people found it s bit boring because of the lack of Bruce Willis, space drilling and Aerosmith songs.

Seriously, you'll like it but you'll be on the internet the next day trying to find answers .

• Liked: 163
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »
I was planning to see it today, but one of my kids had to stay home sick from nursery, so now I'm planning to go next week.

Some people found it s bit boring because of the lack of Bruce Willis, space drilling and Aerosmith songs.

Haha! I like both smart sci-fi and the Bruce Willis/Aerosmith sci-fi. :)

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 08:30:32 AM »
Raised on liberal doses of Robert Heinlein (though wikipedia sez he self-described as a libertarian), I'm always up for good sf. Or good-bad, for that matter. Haven't seen Arrival, but I'll put it in the queue.

Wherein a plucky young dreamer wins a mothballed space suit in a jingle writing contest, buffs it up real nice, gets picked up by a passing flying saucer to be taken to places where it comes in handy, like the cold cold moon, then goes on to save us all.

Alas the film treatment is in development hell.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
Saw it. Liked it. The alien writing looked somewhat like Sinhalese. (I don't think that qualifies as a spoiler.)

Spoiler: this might • show
I might watch it again yesterday.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:20:57 PM by conjunctionjunction »

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 11:43:48 AM »
Your show command for the spoiler doesn't work for me, maybe because I'm using tapatalk.  Glad you liked the movie. 

Spoilers here:
I would have liked the story to include the experience of the other cultures, and how they experienced things differently.  What happened to the one in Sierra Leone?  Why'd it have to be the American who figured it out?  Americans suck at languages, I bet an African who can speak 17 languages could figure it out as well.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
I'm guessing they chose an American to figure it out because that's where they expected the biggest box office.

Your show command for the spoiler doesn't work for me, maybe because I'm using tapatalk.

There's a translator joke in there somewhere...

Sponsored Links