Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Proof of Address?  (Read 1232 times)

• Liked: 6
Proof of Address?
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:44:38 PM »
Hello! I just entered the country on my spouse visa this Saturday and called up my husbands bank and local GP to find out what I need to bring in when I register with them.

I've got my passport and biometrics card and everything, but I don't have anything with proof of address. My husbands address is listed on our marriage certificate, would that work? I can't think of anything else that would prove I live with him. For my spouse visa, his mum and a solicitor both wrote letters stating that I could live with him there at that address. Should I bring those in?

Thank you!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Proof of Address?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:46:49 PM »
You'll need to get an "official" piece of mail.  Welcome to the UK!  Where EVERYTHING is based on mail!

A few easy ways:
Get added to the council tax
Open a bank account
Apply for your provisional license

Unfortunately it'll take a week or so for anything to come through.  In the meantime, you'll unlikely be able to register at the GP.  If you need immediate treatment, you'll need to go to an urgent care center.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
You'll need to get an "official" piece of mail.  Welcome to the UK!  Where EVERYTHING is based on mail!

A few easy ways:
Get added to the council tax
Open a bank account
Apply for your provisional license

Unfortunately it'll take a week or so for anything to come through.  In the meantime, you'll unlikely be able to register at the GP.  If you need immediate treatment, you'll need to go to an urgent care center.

Ughhh that's annoying :( I'm pretty sure the bank wanted me to have proof of an address too though. Since my husband has an account with them though, couldn't I just go in with him and bring our marriage certificate? And then once I get that I can apply for the GP hopefully I landed a job today so maybe they can send me a pay slip in the mail and that can be my first official thing, idk!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 08:40:52 PM »
Ughhh that's annoying :( I'm pretty sure the bank wanted me to have proof of an address too though. Since my husband has an account with them though, couldn't I just go in with him and bring our marriage certificate? And then once I get that I can apply for the GP hopefully I landed a job today so maybe they can send me a pay slip in the mail and that can be my first official thing, idk!

They're pretty strict on what counts as a proof of address at the bank - it has to do with money laundering or terrorism or something. I don't think a payslip or driver's license would even do it. It should be a utilities bill/council tax bill/bank statement - the latter being quite frustrating when you're actually trying to open a bank account!! When we first got here, I went to the council and got the council tax bill printed off so I had it immediately. I just had to show the council lady my tenancy agreement.

I have heard however that Lloyds bank will open an account without a proof of address and actually know 2 people who have done it. I don't know why or how, but I know for a fact it worked with my girlfriend's cousin when she first moved here from Italy in February this year.

I think at the GP they're more lenient and will accept more docs - perhaps your marriage certificate would suffice.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 09:27:42 PM »
Even to add me to my husband's bank account NatWest was REALLY picky about what post I was able to use to prove I lived with him.

They wouldn't accept the estimated utility bill that the Registrar accepted for me to give notice of marriage with. It was so weird.

And you do need post with your name and address on it for your GP to officially register you. Mine would still see me, but I couldn't be fully registered and get my NHS number until I brought in something official.

I'm still in my maiden name there as they are requiring me to bring my marriage license in as proof of name change. Since my passport is in my maiden name. (I came over on a fiance visa)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 09:39:12 PM »
And you do need post with your name and address on it for your GP to officially register you. Mine would still see me, but I couldn't be fully registered and get my NHS number until I brought in something official.

To add to this, you need proof of address to register with a GP regardless of whether you have a visa or not... the GP needs to see proof of address to verify that you live within their catchment area - as they can only accept patients who live within a certain postcode/radius of the surgery.

I'm a UK citizen and when I recently moved house, I had to bring my council tax bill showing my name and new address on it in order to register with my new GP. I've lived at 4 different addresses in Lincoln in the last 5 years and I've had to register with a new GP each time, because I've moved out of the catchment area.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 09:53:56 PM »
IMO, getting added to a utility bill and/or applying for a provisional license are the quickest ways to get proof of address.  Getting added to an existing bank account as a joint account holder seems to be very hit and miss; some people get added to their spouse's account with little hassle and some people run around in circles trying to do so.  Many things when starting out are catch-22 situations - you need proof of address to do this, but you need to do this to get proof of address.   ::)

Banks are quite strict with what is okay for proof of address, but I've been to GPs where it could have been almost any piece of mail.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
IMO, getting added to a utility bill and/or applying for a provisional license are the quickest ways to get proof of address.  Getting added to an existing bank account as a joint account holder seems to be very hit and miss; some people get added to their spouse's account with little hassle and some people run around in circles trying to do so.  Many things when starting out are catch-22 situations - you need proof of address to do this, but you need to do this to get proof of address.   ::)

Banks are quite strict with what is okay for proof of address, but I've been to GPs where it could have been almost any piece of mail.
What if I had my US Bank mail me a statement to my U.K. address? Would that work?

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 11:01:32 PM »
My first impression is that would be okay, as it's an official bank statement (even if an international one).

This was many years ago, but my US bank had a bit of a meltdown when I tried to change my address from a US one to a UK one - mostly I think because their change of address form couldn't cope with a ZIP/post code having (wait for it...) letters. 

I had to wait until I was physically back in the US to go to a branch with proof of UK address for them to change it to mail me my statements internationally.  And even then, the representative had to call over a manager to help with the post code having letters and not being an all-number format. 

Hopefully, your bank is more worldly, and understands these things!  :)

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 11:11:20 PM »
My first impression is that would be okay, as it's an official bank statement (even if an international one).

This was many years ago, but my US bank had a bit of a meltdown when I tried to change my address from a US one to a UK one - mostly I think because their change of address form couldn't cope with a ZIP/post code having (wait for it...) letters. 

I had to wait until I was physically back in the US to go to a branch with proof of UK address for them to change it to mail me my statements internationally.  And even then, the representative had to call over a manager to help with the post code having letters and not being an all-number format. 

Hopefully, your bank is more worldly, and understands these things!  :)

Just called them and had to go over my ridiculously long and confusing address with them but they seemed to cope well so that's a relief. Hopefully I get a statement here by next week :) If the GP doesn't accept that then I'm just going to have to do the license thing.

• Liked: 3589
Proof of Address?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 11:11:55 PM »
I have a US bank account too and it wasn't a problem for them to change my account address to a UK one... However, because of the formatting, my UK address didn't show up properly on the statements - it was half cut-off - which meant I never received any of my statements or any other mail from them, as you couldn't tell where they were supposed to be mailed to. As a result, there may be some of my old bank statements from about 8 years ago still floating around USPS somewhere!

I ended up changing the address on my US account to my aunt's address in the US so I would definitely receive mail from the bank... And I also changed to paperless billing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:12:58 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
Sounds good; hopefully, you'll get your statement soon and can get things rolling.

I recommend getting a provisional license anyways; it's a handy proof of ID and age so you don't have to carry around your US passport.  I've only just recently gotten mine, and wish I had gotten it way earlier.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
Just called them and had to go over my ridiculously long and confusing address with them but they seemed to cope well so that's a relief. Hopefully I get a statement here by next week :) If the GP doesn't accept that then I'm just going to have to do the license thing.

Hey!

It tends to take over a week to get post from the US. Just as an FYI. Anything I sent to my husband when I lived in Colorado tended to take over 9 calendar days. Gotta love it.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »
Hey!

It tends to take over a week to get post from the US. Just as an FYI. Anything I sent to my husband when I lived in Colorado tended to take over 9 calendar days. Gotta love it.

We won't talk about how long it took for my ballot to arrive in the US...  I was beginning to think it wouldn't arrive in time!

• Liked: 163
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 03:46:24 PM »
We won't talk about how long it took for my ballot to arrive in the US...  I was beginning to think it wouldn't arrive in time!
Hey!

When I was at university in Texas, we had a chemistry professor who was British and (surprise) loved to complain about things. He once went on a 20 minute rant about the USPS and how it paled in comparison with the Royal Mail. :)

Sponsored Links