Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello!  (Read 571 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello!
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:18:40 AM »
Hello lovely people.

I'm an American married to a Brit and have been living in the UK with him here for a little over a year now. Getting here was quite an ordeal given we are both disabled. I did lurk on these forums a lot during the time I was doing my research and I should really have introduced myself before now.

To get here, I had to sell my mobile home and all my belongings, rehome four cats, and hire an immigration attorney. I love the little village where we live. It's clean, quiet, well run, beautiful, and the people have been very nice. I've never been cold here, and don't need an air conditioner. I've gone to see a doctor; nobody at the surgery asked me for money. I almost cried the first time that happened. :) Also, I'm getting quite the education on UK politics via Brexit.

What else? I absolutely refuse to drive here. I've driven in the US for four decades and expected I'd do the same here. Driving is altogether a different thing here and I'd rather not have an accident, thank you very much.

I love reading on this forum. Thank you for the help and insight into your lives. --Vi

• Liked: 533
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »
I've never been cold here, and don't need an air conditioner.

Around the house I wear the same old fleece almost every day.

Welcome.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Re: Hello!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 06:18:06 AM »
I've gone to see a doctor; nobody at the surgery asked me for money. I almost cried the first time that happened.

A civilised approach to healthcare can do that. Say what you will about the NHS – and there’s a lot to be said, good and ill – it’s a relief knowing it’s there.

I absolutely refuse to drive here. I've driven in the US for four decades and expected I'd do the same here. Driving is altogether a different thing here and I'd rather not have an accident, thank you very much.

It’s great to be able to do without, if you can. We had a long carless stretch, relying on bicycles, buses, taxis and shoe leather to get to the train station a couple of miles away and to shop for food etc (though home delivery like Ocado was a godsend). By some strange short-circuit in logic, motorists hate waiting behind buses and bicyclists, despite that it means one less car on the road…

Around the house I wear the same old fleece almost every day.

Another fleece lover here.

Put on your fleece before you go out and play, dear
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:29:34 AM by conjunctionjunction »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab