Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello UK!!!!  (Read 1907 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Hello UK!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 09:06:26 AM »
Not sure if you're aware, but your post in response to possibly helpful information is really rude by British standards (not sure about American ones...). Comes off as quite childish, which again leads me to believe you might be working illegally.... because of ignorance to the rules. So now you aren't ignorant, and you can make an informed choice about YOUR LIFE. Do with this information what you will.

Well that post shifted gears at the bottom didn't it?

Listen, perhaps it was the way I was raised up, but I always thought when somebody new came to the party, you made polite talk at first. I have known of people in real life who lead with, "Hey how's your insurance cover?", but again, perhaps due to my background, you sort of sidled up to any sticky points.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:10:17 AM by sonofasailor »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
Listen, perhaps it was the way I was raised up, but I always thought when somebody new came to the party, you made polite talk at first. I have known of people in real life who lead with, "Hey how's your insurance cover?", but again, perhaps due to my background, you sort of sidled up to any sticky points.

Yeah, but you tend to be of the opinion that breaking immigration rules isn't such a bad thing. If someone new came to your party wearing a stocking on their head and carrying a bag marked £Property of the bank£ would you make polite small talk first before finding out what was going on? The OP overreacted dramatically to the friendly query about her visa status and has now deleted her account. If she were really doing nothing shady I doubt she'd have been so sensitive to perfectly civil questions. Also, it's hard to give people advice about how to get involved in a community when you aren't sure they have a legal right to live there. Visitor visa = no volunteering and no library card, so that's already 2 suggestions that wouldn't be allowed. I don't think it's fair to suggest that people are being rude because they are trying to ensure that they don't unknowingly advise someone to do something that's illegal.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
Yeah, but you tend to be of the opinion that breaking immigration rules isn't such a bad thing.

That's absolutely not true. I think many laws are idiotic and poorly thought out, but, and I have said this over and over, voting out those who make these laws is the answer, not disobedience.

Further, if you look at my above suggestion....to go to the library and see if there is a poetry reading on....I don't see anything illegal about that.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
And in fact, has there been a stronger advocate on these boards on enforcing fraud laws against bankers/corporate tax dodgers? Or calling out instances where immigrant rights are curtailed ultra vires?

I believe in the law, it's just that our choices in enforcing them are telling.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
I apologise, that was poorly phrased. What I meant was that whenever we see an article about people who are trying to get around the visa rules, you are usually the one defending them, usually suggesting that people who are responding angrily are being insensitive.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=84331.msg1133599#msg1133599

And again on this thread, you seemed to be suggesting that a polite enquiry into the OP's visa status is uncalled for, rude somehow? IMO when you see someone unintentionally doing something that could lead to unpleasant consequences for them, the kind thing is to make them aware of it so they can stop, not ignore it or give them suggestions that may make things worse.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 10:43:28 AM »
I stand by every post on that thread about that family. I think I do anyhow.

But more importantly, what good was done here?

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 11:21:32 AM »
Although that would make a good rhetorical cliffhanger, I think she felt badgered.

PS. I'll have to check my policy.

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 04:09:19 PM »
But more importantly, what good was done here?

SOS, I am not sure how much time you spend on the visa boards but there are a lot of us here that spend a great deal of time there.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that my primary motivation is to give back to the community which has been so helpful to me.   In other words, I try to help.

If I suspect that someone is breaking the rules, I am going to mention it because there is a high possibility that they don't realize they are doing anything wrong.

Sometimes that means telling someone something that they don't want to hear. That actually makes me feel uncomfortable but I do it anyway to hopefully save them grief.

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, if she is working remotely on a visitors visa and didn't know before that she was breaking the law and jeopardizing her immigration history, she does now. As physicskate pointed out, what she does with that information is up to her.

• Liked: 344
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 05:24:07 PM »
Hi Megan, welcome!  ;D

If you are a non UK, non EU citizen, are you in the UK on a visa which permits you to work?
I ask, as work of any sort is not permitted as a visitor, even working remotely online but not everyone is aware of this.   :-\\\\

Good catch larrabee.

Megan you might not like reading this but larrabee is helping you, to prevent you from continuing to make a huge mistake. The UK have this year brought in a law that makes illegal working a criminal offence.

Do you know that you can't use the NHS for free too? 50% is added to the NHS bill if you don't have insurance.

Take the advice in the spirit it was given. Stop working. Get health insurance. Enjoy your holiday.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:53:27 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
I wonder why the IO she spoke to confirmed (allegedly) that it was ok for her to do that work?

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 06:51:23 PM »
The UK have this year brought in a law that makes illegal working a criminal offence.

Well this is important. We better tell her.

Meg did you get that? Meg? Megan?

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 06:54:05 PM »
I wonder why the IO she spoke to confirmed (allegedly) that it was ok for her to do that work?

It's possible she's on an EU passport?

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
Well this is important. We better tell her.

Meg did you get that? Meg? Megan?

You would prefer that we did not inform her?

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
You would prefer that we did not inform her?

I say go ahead, inform her.

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 07:04:33 PM »

Sponsored Links