Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another Person in a Post-Trump Panic...  (Read 1441 times)

• Liked: 0
Another Person in a Post-Trump Panic...
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:59:13 PM »
The forum says "introduce yourself" so here I am.

I was born in Britain, my family migrated when I was 12. I'm a dual national, married to an American and, whoa, are we unhappy about the recent turn of events.

Before Brexit, husband and I were in solid agreement that if Trump became Prez with a red senate, we'd find a way overseas, with Britain being the first choice for obvious reasons.

Post-Brexit, husband and I exchanged a long look and "Scotland's nice...?" and "Maybe Trump won't win, after all?"

...and as of a week ago, it's been all my husband can do to stop me from grabbing my passports and booking the next flight out. (He's the sensible one in the relationship)

So, yeah, we're seriously sizing up our options. A spouse visa is the most obvious route to get him to the UK but for reasons too dreary to get into, being separated for 9 - 12 months (when all is said and done) isn't a viable option for us.

Supposedly, Husband's career* is a "shortage occupation", so we're reaching out to recruiters in the UK and trying to get things moving, but it's an uphill challenge to do all the way from Stateside. And for all the talk of shortages, hiring companies are seemingly allergic to visa sponsorship, sigh.

Anyways, we've still got a few months to go on our current lease and the cats need a few months to qualify for an exemption to the six-month quarantine, so for all my panic, we're not heading to the airport, yet. But I'm laying down the groundwork and getting ready. Thank heavens for family willing to take us in when we land!

- Johanna

*digital animation and VFX with pretty much any computer tool you can name. He's also a damn good artist in traditional media, but he ain't gonna find a visa sponsor in the fine arts... :)

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Re: Another Person in a Post-Trump Panic...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 03:11:52 AM »
Welcome!

Why would you be separated? Is he not working in the US?

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 03:27:21 AM »
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:38:20 AM by conjunctionjunction »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »
Just know that the grass isn't greener in the US with Brexit looming.  Once you start to look at the length and fees associated with a spouse visa, you'll quickly learn how VERY anti-immigration the UK is.  It's quite sad.

The main way people qualify when returning is one of two ways.

1.  The UKC has been working in the US and has earned a minimum of £18,600 in the past 12 months AND has a job offering paying a minimum of £18,600 starting in the next 3 months

2.  Savings of over £62,500 held for a minimum of six months.  This can also come from the sale of a home or a fully vested retirement account.

If you have one of those, there is no reason to be separated.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 01:32:40 PM »

Post-Brexit, husband and I exchanged a long look and "Scotland's nice...?" and "Maybe Trump won't win, after all?"

Just to make sure you aren't operating under a false assumption: although there is a lot of debate around this and who knows what will happen in the future; currently Scotland is still part of the UK and Great Britain, and accordingly is leaving the EU with the rest of us.

Obviously Nicola Sturgeon and co are vehemently opposed to leaving the EU and there have been suggestions of a second referendum for Scottish independence, which if successful could see a split from the rest of the UK. however, even in that event it remains to be seen whether Scotland by itself could qualify for EU membership.

So I wouldn't plan a move to Scotland on the basis that it will still be in the EU. That may not be your concern of course, but I thought I would flag it just in case.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »
Not to mention that if Scotland does decide to have another referendum, it's most likely going to be just as nasty and divisive as the previous one, and that was pretty bad. You may be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. 

• Liked: 533
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 02:16:09 PM »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 31
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »
Not to mention that if Scotland does decide to have another referendum, it's most likely going to be just as nasty and divisive as the previous one, and that was pretty bad. You may be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Um.. it actually wasn't particularly nasty at all. Certainly nothing like Brexit. The police stated that it was conducted in a very peaceful way, and the only really nasty thing that happened was the day of the result when a bunch of unionist thugs took over George Square in Glasgow and started setting fire to things. I'm guessing you weren't actually up here during the referendum; I was, and was involved in some campaigning, and apart from some slightly heated online discussions, it was all pretty tame, especially considering it lasted nearly 2 years!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 03:34:17 PM »
You are correct that I wasn't in Scotland but I was following closely.  I really wasn't talking about physical violence, but just general divisiveness and on line aggression.  I seem to remember a lot of complaints about people feeling bullied on line.

You were there, so I'm not going to pretend to know more, but I'm surprised to hear you say it was not particularly nasty.  Perhaps in hindsight, compared to Trump and Brexit.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 03:38:37 PM »
No, even at the time it was seen as pretty low key considering the magnitude of the question. It didn't spur any more online bullying than any other controversial topic, though certainly the media tried to make a very big deal out of everything that so-called cybernats said online. The atmosphere offline was pretty congenial. There were more nasty things that went in the week after Brexit or Trump than in two years of indyref.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »
I'm interested in your opinion on when or if there will be another referendum and how you think it will go?

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 04:24:59 PM »
I honestly don't know. Right after Brexit I thought yes for sure, but now I think it will depend on the nature of the Brexit settlement and whether Scotland can get a clear statement from the EU about getting continuing state status. If Brexit sucks hardcore and Europe is friendly, I think there will be one and it will go yes.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
Thanks!  I was on Barra for a week during the campaign and it looked to me that they were ready for independence from the UK and Scotland both. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 06:21:28 PM »
Why would you be separated? Is he not working in the US?

He's not, unfortunately. And there's that whole "I need to provide six months of pay stubs totaling (just over) nine thousand pounds before I can apply for a spouse visa thing" - which, realistically, means it'll be at least 8 months before I'll be in a position to apply for it, and it takes up to 12 weeks to turn around.

Sure, he could enter on a tourist visa and illegally overstay, but neither of us fancy that option. I know, I know, how foolishly law-abiding of us. ;)

To address other replies on the thread:

I hear ya about "Don't Panic" but, fact is, we were already considering migration before the election blew up in our faces, we just feel a little more urgency now. (Reading the news every day is NOT helping. Yeesh.)

Scotland's on the table because of the video game industry in Dundee, as well as the admittedly very long shot of another referendum and Scotland going its own way. Husband would prefer to be working in visual fx, but 95% of that is in London and, cripes, we just can't afford to go the southeast of England (which is a shame, I grew up in Brighton and miss it very much). He's worked in gaming as well and there's an official shortage of (mid-to-senior level) digital animation / fx talent in that industry as well.

- J
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:24:02 PM by jmead »

• Liked: 537
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 09:03:27 PM »
You absolutely do NOT want him to overstay, that could lead to a ban of up to 10 years and WILL lead to failing the good character requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain and Citizenship.

You absolutely want to play by every the rule.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links