Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cheap flight to UK  (Read 1589 times)

• Liked: 0
Cheap flight to UK
« on: November 17, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »
What website/agent do you all use for flights to UK?

Re: Cheap flight to UK
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »
I use BA and United as they fly direct from my city to the U.K., and I often use a combination of air miles and $$. Also if you're able to plan flights pretty far out the prices can be reasonable - it's the taxes and fees that seem to be the problem!
Sadly I have not had much luck in finding cheap flights that don't have 2 or more stops.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »
I think cheap flights are like unicorns and leprechauns.  People claim to see them, but I have yet to find one!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:47:21 PM »
I fly into a small-ish airport near home so I always end up flying with either Delta, United, or American Airlines (or a code-share partner).  My go-to checks are Expedia and STA, and I will run and prices I find through that airline's site, as well.  I always search in incognito mode.  STA generally tends to be a bit cheaper (especially if you are under 26- those were the days...). 

We did once find a flight direct Heathrow to Dulles arriving July 3rd for 400pounds, but that is just about the only super cheap deal that I have ever found.  If you have flexible dates and can fly direct, you may be able to find some good deals, but my house is 4 hours from the nearest direct flight so I always have a layover.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 674
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 04:25:39 PM »
Iceland Air.

Means a creative 50-minute layover in Iceland.... But never missed the connector. (They're REALLY efficient there.)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »
Couldn't find $276, but there's some good deals for Jan-Apr out of JFK, Boston, LAX, & Chicago. I think around $400 is what I found for the trip I need to make in Feb.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/deal-alert-us-london-276/

• Liked: 674
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
Iceland Air.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 11:46:01 PM »
Depending on your market and needs, see what Norwegian are offering. They are doing more non-stops into LGW from US departure points now. Yes, they are legit (I have taken them short haul plenty of times, including some of their new widebody jets, and they have comfortable seats, new entertainment systems, and free WiFi), but its completely unbundled pricing, so add up your luggage+food+seat costs and compare to the majors.

Note: BA is starting to defend (read: undercut pricing) in new markets Norwegian is expanding to in the US, so you may be able to find some real good deals soon. Given how craptacular the BA service was on my last flight, I would definitely take a look at Norwegian and/or AA (again, dependent on your market).

I would steer clear of any consolidators online like gotogate or any of those that may come up on skyscanner. I used one once and it actually worked and we got great seats at a crazy price, but they don't hold the inventory and have terrible customer service. Its just this side of scammy. Check BoardingArea blog too and see what they put out for upcoming sales.

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »
Norwegian air had flights from London to Boston for £200 round trip February 19-27th. I have never seen a cheaper fare than that!

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
Norwegian air had flights from London to Boston for £200 round trip February 19-27th. I have never seen a cheaper fare than that!

I have never believed cheap flights existed.  But the three of us are flying direct BA return to Tampa next week for £1,016, so only £338 each.  And it includes baggage and food.   :D  I'm still sure I'll never find a flight as cheap again.  I think I just got lucky!

• Liked: 56
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »
I've taken that flight to Tampa before and it was pretty god - mostly because we left on a Wednesday and it was full of pensioners (and not even full at that) in mid May. Also, it gets you where you need to be if you are headed to Gulf beaches.

Note, however: BA has pulled the second meal in Economy in flights 8 hours or less and replaced it with an "ambient snack" (their words, not mine) which is a basket pass of either one biscuit or one fun size chocolate bar. Also, when I flew them to Chicago in August (at the start of this all), the outbound food from Heathrow was almost entirely carbs and I totally fritzed out ina massive sugar rush and then crash. I would highly recommend:

a) Bringing water for yourself and kids (they are cutting back on water runs; water in economy meals has been reduced to a "cuplet" rather than the previous bottle) - either buy at airport or bring empty bottle through security and find a fountain.

b) Bring healthy snacks in case its straight carbs on the plate

c) Possibly some sort of energy bar or crackers or something to replace the second meal for the kids - by the time we loaded the plane, pushed back, held at heathrow etc we were way past 8 hours flight time and I was STARVING by the time we landed in Chicago, the only food really being the small economy meal 6 or 7 hours before. And no, candy is not a substitute and just makes you feel worse, not to mention they did a very poor coffee/tea run at the same time

d) They've also cut peanuts/pretzels with the first drink run in economy. Do without or bring your own (I actually found I missed these strangely enough)

BA is starting to move over onto my personal Do Not Fly list (along with United, Spirit, and USAirways) because of a lot of these cuts and Im not a fan of their CEO and corporate strategy. However, sometimes they are the best time/route/price and for a destination like TPA, and you are prewarned about service cuts, you can deal with it to get to the beach!

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
It's my normal route, as my family is in Clearwater.  We are an allergy family so we always have a truck load of food with us regardless.  Sadly the flight is 10 hours and 5 minutes.   :\\\'(

Thanks for the tips though.  Would suck to be caught out with no food!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »
Maybe it's routes or airframes. My direct from houston on BA is a lot better than United. Two meals, they're pretty good, plenty to drink, good features & service. Honestly I'm a fan. Comparatively united sucks.

However, my last trip was via Miami on a BA 747 and it was not nearly as good. So, routes/aircraft? Not sure.

I recently got put on my parents retiree flight benefits with united, so I'm real happy financially but a bit disappointed not to get the BA food/service. However, my mom flying standby like that has often been able to get business or first class, so hopefully that'll materialize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 03:26:25 AM »
I did a flight Sept. 16 DFW to ATL on Delta, connecting to Virgin Atlantic into Heathrow for $737. Delta flight was typical domestic service but I was impressed by the VA crew and their service. I usually fly business class but this was economy. Even so the food was good, plenty of water made available and snacks. Any future BA business flights could become VA economy as there was a $3K difference in price. While the lie flat seats sure were nice, I can buy a lot of comfort elsewhere for $3K!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »
Norwegian is pretty good if they fly to/from your city. Problem is they fly out of Gatwick, and trains are horrible from there. We have also found Air New Zealand very good.

Sponsored Links