Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cheap flight to UK  (Read 1591 times)

• Liked: 107
Re: Cheap flight to UK
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
I have always used Kayak for the past three years. Seem to be the best in getting cheap flights.

Also, Iceland Air allow you to have a flight and have a long connection (a few days/week) which means you can vacation in Iceland as a break-up from your flights for the same price!
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 6
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »
Gatwick trains only suck cause southern. It's the same train I have to take down to heywards Heath to the future in laws. Whatever frustration you can have from gatwick is nothing compared to further down the line. Once you're at Victoria it's no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 56
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
Maybe it's routes or airframes. My direct from houston on BA is a lot better than United. Two meals, they're pretty good, plenty to drink, good features & service. Honestly I'm a fan. Comparatively united sucks.

However, my last trip was via Miami on a BA 747 and it was not nearly as good. So, routes/aircraft? Not sure.

I recently got put on my parents retiree flight benefits with united, so I'm real happy financially but a bit disappointed not to get the BA food/service. However, my mom flying standby like that has often been able to get business or first class, so hopefully that'll materialize.

Agree that United blows, but hey reduced/free fare is still reduced/free!

This "new" BA service went into effect mid August last year, all classes impacted in different ways. They have been refurbishing the 744 fleet (for the most part) - I got a refurbed aircraft to Chicago and the entertainment was great and the new seat covers were nice. The service? not so much. Some of the crew were pretty appalling down economy.

Don't worry about missing anything on BA - they are just about down there with United at this point. Also - Houston may have been exempted due to oil revenues but make no mistake, this CEO is out to cut and cut some more. My other half had a better flight on AA coming over this summer (we flew at different times), which is pretty shocking.

The best ever flight deal I got was $200 return LAX to LHR over December of 2000 on Virgin Atlantic, next to the $120 return ORD to LHR in November 2008 on United (a mistake fare they had to honor). I also think there may have been a $250 fare from Madison to LHR (2009? 2010?) when Delta bought NW - one checkin agent showed the other that my base fare was something like $70.

This is (apparently?) my dumb hobby and I like to watch planes, read trip reports, keep tabs on things :) I made a distinct stipulation that our next flat must have an outside space with a clear view of takeoff or landing patterns for Heathrow so I can sit out with a beverage and my binoculars. ;D

• Liked: 6
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »
Agree that United blows, but hey reduced/free fare is still reduced/free!

This "new" BA service went into effect mid August last year, all classes impacted in different ways. They have been refurbishing the 744 fleet (for the most part) - I got a refurbed aircraft to Chicago and the entertainment was great and the new seat covers were nice. The service? not so much. Some of the crew were pretty appalling down economy.

Don't worry about missing anything on BA - they are just about down there with United at this point. Also - Houston may have been exempted due to oil revenues but make no mistake, this CEO is out to cut and cut some more. My other half had a better flight on AA coming over this summer (we flew at different times), which is pretty shocking.

The best ever flight deal I got was $200 return LAX to LHR over December of 2000 on Virgin Atlantic, next to the $120 return ORD to LHR in November 2008 on United (a mistake fare they had to honor). I also think there may have been a $250 fare from Madison to LHR (2009? 2010?) when Delta bought NW - one checkin agent showed the other that my base fare was something like $70.

This is (apparently?) my dumb hobby and I like to watch planes, read trip reports, keep tabs on things :) I made a distinct stipulation that our next flat must have an outside space with a clear view of takeoff or landing patterns for Heathrow so I can sit out with a beverage and my binoculars. ;D
After flight school in the army, I'm really not impressed sitting around looking at commercial planes. I'd even rather have an aisle than a window at this point, at least for a long flight like that.

The benefit deal I think is 150 or something each way. Basically the taxes & landing fee. As long as you're careful of what day of the week and time of day you fly, you can usually get out and often get business or 1st for essentially the same price. At least that's what my mom has achieved. I'll have to pick up on her tricks I guess.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 11:38:59 PM »
After flight school in the army, I'm really not impressed sitting around looking at commercial planes. I'd even rather have an aisle than a window at this point, at least for a long flight like that.

I'm the same - aisle seat all the way, especially on a long flight (I have 4 long flights in the space of 2 days next month... 5 hours, 5 hours, 13 hours and 3 hours).

I work with planes every day, so there's not much appeal for me in watching them these days :P.

• Liked: 57
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
I have used Skyscanner in the past. On the way here, I got one-way flights from PHX/LHR for me and my 3 kids for $500 each on the non-stop BA flight, but operated by Finnair. Over Christmas I found BHX/SEA and return LAX/LHR (so not even open jaw, basically two one-way fares) and paid £470 total.

Check Norwegian and Monarch if they fly anywhere near where you need to be.
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »

Come on over.  They changed the flight path (at times) for Heathrow and they fly in over Wokingham now.  My daughter points and shouts for every single plane.  Every. Single. Plane.  I'll provide the drinks if you'll spend two hours listening to, "Airplane!!!  BIG Airplane.  That's a BIG one."  Happens about every 90 seconds.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 10:16:48 PM »
As a kid I would ski out to Point Woronzof in Anchorage which is essentially at the end of the runway and lay back in the snow and watch the big freighters come out right over me - so close they were just starting to bring the gear up. I think that's where it comes from :)

Totally agree - aisle all the way these days though. I like to be able to stick out a leg, get up and get my stuff out of the overhead, get to the bathroom if needed.

Sure wish I could work with planes, but maybe next job move from this one there are some options.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab