Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Big Brother - new Internet Surveillance Law  (Read 1903 times)

• Liked: 342
Re: Big Brother - new Internet Surveillance Law
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 04:26:58 PM »
I have a couple of young employees who do not pay TV license as they don't watch tv.  They've had knocks on the door!  Maybe they don't have to answer, but it's still weird to me.

I rarely watch tv and still have lots of sealed DVD box sets that I would love - if I watched them.

I assume the knock on their door will be caused by data matching as that address doesn't show a tv licence. I know lots of young people that don't watch tv.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:31:11 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 04:35:49 PM »
Thanks, I wouldn't have expected that. 

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »
I know lots of young people that don't watch tv.
I think it's becoming increasingly difficult to define what watching TV is.  My boy spends all his time watching someone else (named Dan TDM) play Minecraft , so I guess he doesn't watch TV either. 

The other day we were walking in Hammersmith and saw that this Dan TDM was headlining the Apollo!  There looked to be hordes of awkward 14 year old kids milling about to watch a millionaire play a blocky videogame.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 04:48:07 PM »
It's a shame that we've ended up talking about TV licenses, which is hardly any surveillance, when the original link said that Trump can legally hack my PC and phone. 

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »
It's a shame that we've ended up talking about TV licenses, which is hardly any surveillance, when the original link said that Trump can legally hack my PC and phone.

And take your Chritmas present.

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
It's a shame that we've ended up talking about TV licenses, which is hardly any surveillance...

But the threat of surveillance, which adds to a big brother culture.
I think the common theme is knocks on the door, digital or in RL.

Personally I love when threads go OT; it makes forums more like actual conversations. (The John Lewis spoof above provides the perfect opportunity for it. I'm not going there unless somebody else does first). But back to the OP's link,

This article was amended on 19 November 2016. The act has not yet received royal assent

Assumedly it's a rubberstamp. Still, things like that are a constant reminder of the cultural breadth of that pond.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-9pDZMRCpQ[/youtube]

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 07:31:31 PM »

My fault!   ;D

Just keeping with the Big Brother theme.  And we all know I love a tangent. 

After reading this thread, it makes me wonder if I'm the only one watching Strictly this season!   :P

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:09 PM »

"This article was amended on 19 November 2016. The act has not yet received royal assent"

Assumedly it's a rubberstamp. Still, things like that are a constant reminder of the cultural breadth of that pond.

They are getting muddled. If a Billl hasn't received Royal Assent, then it still a Bill and is not an Act (law). Therefore their "The act has not yet received royal assent" should be 'The Bill has not yet received Royal Assent'.

"Once a bill has completed all the parliamentary stages in both Houses, it is ready to receive royal assent. This is when the Queen formally agrees to make the bill into an Act of Parliament (law)."
http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/laws/passage-bill/lords/lrds-royal-assent/

Here is the progress of this Bill
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16/investigatorypowers.html
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:39:52 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 537
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 10:12:44 PM »
My fault!   ;D

Just keeping with the Big Brother theme.  And we all know I love a tangent. 

After reading this thread, it makes me wonder if I'm the only one watching Strictly this season!   :P

Nope! We're watching too! I really enjoy Strictly and several other shows.  Though I tend to watch more Freeview channels than anything. :)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 04:07:21 AM »
They are getting muddled. If a Billl hasn't received Royal Assent, then it still a Bill and is not an Act (law). Therefore their "The act has not yet received royal assent" should be 'The Bill has not yet received Royal Assent'.

"Once a bill has completed all the parliamentary stages in both Houses, it is ready to receive royal assent. This is when the Queen formally agrees to make the bill into an Act of Parliament (law)."
http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/laws/passage-bill/lords/lrds-royal-assent/

Here is the progress of this Bill
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16/investigatorypowers.html

Thanks for that clarification Sirius! It looks like they're just sorting out smaller details right now though, not that it will be drastically changed before becoming law. This is an unbelievable precedent when it comes to legal internet surveillance. I'm guessing that the US has significant surveillance we don't know about - but the scale of this is what is shocking, in that it would be all subscribers.

The discussion on TV licenses was interesting. I have enjoyed some shows on the iPlayer, but I'm guessing most of the things we watch there are available on other services.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »
Nope! We're watching too! I really enjoy Strictly and several other shows.  Though I tend to watch more Freeview channels than anything. :)

I can't warm to Danny.  I just can't.  I'd love Ore to win.

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »

I watched it when it started in 2004 and then again in 2005. Hard to believe they are still going over a decade later, with the same format! That's one of the problems with the BBC, too many repeats. :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »
I can't warm to Danny.  I just can't.  I'd love Ore to win.
Yeah, he's a good dancer but he comes across as a bit... vacant or less than genuine.

I would love Ore to win! He'said definitely one of my favourites. Ed Balls cracks me up!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 07:37:49 PM »
Yeah, he's a good dancer but he comes across as a bit... vacant or less than genuine.

I would love Ore to win! He'said definitely one of my favourites. Ed Balls cracks me up!

Maybe Danny is just too vanilla for me?  I love it when the stars progress week on week.  I'm always a fan of the underdog!

Len said it best - the anticipation of Ed's dance each week is tangible!  He really does just GO FOR IT.  And I love that.

I also really like Louise.  When they announced the lineup, I didn't think I'd like her.  How wrong I was!

My husband is glad that Greg is gone as I drooled over him each week.  I found him incredibly attractive!!  He might have to go on "my list."   ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab