Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Training as a Teacher in the UK  (Read 645 times)

• Liked: 7
Training as a Teacher in the UK
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:25:27 PM »
I've just got off the helpline for the UK Teach service, and I'm pretty frustrated. I'm not used to knowing more than the people I'm calling for help :-/

I have a masters in education, and teaching experience and I'm looking to train for QTS in the UK. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a viable route (FYI: I've taught Science/Biology in the past)

Basically, I can get around $20k off the US government, but if I have to pay for the course fees, that's pretty much all gone and I'd have zero to live off of for the year. Also, the guy on the line insisted that (1) The UK government would be able to help (even though it says on their website (or so I thought) that they won't provide any financial help/scholarships for international trainees); (2) I'd have to interview with local education groups.

Number two is a problem, since he couldn't tell me which local groups would be worth trying or which had a need for teachers, and I can't afford to fly over for one interview if there's not a reasonably certain chance that it will lead somewhere. Does anyone do Skype interviews?

Has anyone done this route before? I work for a non-profit at the moment, so I can save some money, but not an endless supply.

Thanks in advance guys.
2019 Priority Settlement Application Timeline

Online application submitted: May 3
Biometrics appointment: May 22
Documents received in New York: May 24
Application received e-mail: June 19
Response to query about timeframe for priority: July 17
Decision made email: August 7
Visa APPROVED: August 13

• Liked: 4985
Re: Training as a Teacher in the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:40:10 PM »
Sorry, I think there are a few holes missing from your story.

Are you currently certified or licensed as a teacher in the US?  If so, which state?

Are you looking to find a job in the UK to sponsor a work visa?  If so, this is definitely a difficult route.  I believe the very advanced sciences and math are the only viable options.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:57:28 PM »
Sorry, I think there are a few holes missing from your story.

Are you currently certified or licensed as a teacher in the US?  If so, which state?

Are you looking to find a job in the UK to sponsor a work visa?  If so, this is definitely a difficult route.  I believe the very advanced sciences and math are the only viable options.
Yes, this. I'm no expert in this sort of thing but it's also my understanding that EU citizens have first dibs on jobs here in the UK. Unless you have an employer who's willing to sponsor you, it's almost impossible to go this route.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 10:45:13 PM »
I don't think the guy really knew that they are not set up to cater for non-EU residents. Yes, it is frustrating but maybe you need to email them with your specific questions?

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
If you're already a certified teacher in the US, it's really easy to get QTS in the UK. All you have to do is apply online, submit a letter from the department of education from your state (confirming your teaching cert is valid with no restrictions) and that's it! I think the whole process took a couple weeks just because the Dept. of Ed in my state was slow getting back to m.

Here's the link where you can apply. If you're not certified in the US it may be easier to get your cert there and then apply for QTS in the UK (I'm guessing).

https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/MutualRecognition [nofollow]

Sponsored Links