Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ohio to Norwich  (Read 782 times)

• Liked: 0
Ohio to Norwich
« on: November 23, 2016, 01:24:05 AM »
Hello everyone! I'm hoping to move to Norwich for about 6 months at the end of next summer. I'm just looking for people from the general area, so I have friends while I'm in the U.K. 😊

• Liked: 533
Re: Ohio to Norwich
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 06:05:17 AM »
I think we have a few Norwiches(?) here,  and we darned  sure have plenty of Ohioans! Welcome!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »
Thank you for the welcome! Are you folks originally from the U.K.?

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »
Hi I'm originally from Toledo where are u from.  I live in the southeast. This is a lovely site. All the best
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 07:24:16 PM »
Hi I'm originally from Toledo where are u from.  I live in the southeast. This is a lovely site. All the best

I'm from the Cincinnati area, what made you make the move to the U.K, if you don't mind me asking ?

• Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 05:09:22 PM »
Hello! Everyone I am from Cincinnati Ohio living in the midlands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 31
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »
Hello, I ran away from Cincinnati (went to Oak Hills High School and Miami University up in Oxford) to Scotland back in 2003 to do my PhD. The only things I miss are my mum, my sister, Skyline, goetta, and Kings Island! What's bringing you to Norwich for 6 months?
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 01:25:25 AM »
Hello, I ran away from Cincinnati (went to Oak Hills High School and Miami University up in Oxford) to Scotland back in 2003 to do my PhD. The only things I miss are my mum, my sister, Skyline, goetta, and Kings Island! What's bringing you to Norwich for 6 months?

Visiting my boyfriend and his family, also using it as a trial run to see if living in the U.K. Is something I could see myself doing long term. Any advice?

• Liked: 31
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 09:30:35 AM »
Make sure you don't work, volunteer or use healthcare without paying for it, as these will all get you in trouble in the future. Be a tourist! See as much of the country as you can, experience as much as you can. Try not to be constantly comparing the US and UK, just accept that things are different and roll with it. Good luck!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum :).

Following on from what DrSuperL99 said just above, I would stop saying that you are 'moving to' or 'living in' the UK for those 6 months. Unless you have a work, student or family visa that allows you to live in the UK, you will be just visiting for those 6 months.

As a visitor, you are a tourist only, and you are not allowed to 'live' in the UK, and if the immigration officers suspect you might be using the visitor visa to live with your boyfriend without the proper visa, they can decide to refuse you entry. As we say on the forum, there is no 'shacking up' visa - no visa that allows you to live with your boyfriend as a trial.

So, just be careful what you say, and make sure you can prove you are just a tourist and not moving to the UK.

As a visitor, you will need to be able to show:
- you have a return ticket back to the US within 6 months
- you have enough money to support yourself for 6 months without needing to work (or that your boyfriend can support you for that time)
- that you have NO intention of living in the UK
- that you have a home, a job and a life to return to in the US which means you won't try to stay in the UK for longer than 6 months.

The official guidance states:

Assessing an applicant’s genuine intentions to visit

You must be satisfied that the applicant meets all the requirements of V4.2 – V4.10 of the visit rules and is a genuine visitor. If you are not satisfied, you must refuse their application. A visitor can enter to do different permitted activities but they must have a main reason or reasons for visiting, for example for business or a holiday, and be able to provide details.

Frequent or successive visits: how to assess if an applicant is making the UK their main home or place of work

You should check the applicant’s travel history: how long are they spending in the UK and how frequently are they returning? You must assess if they are, in effect, making the UK their main home.

You should look at:
• the purpose of the visit and intended length of stay stated
• the number of visits made over the past 12 months, including the length of stay on each occasion, the time elapsed since the last visit, and if this amounts to the individual spending more time in the UK than in their home country
• the purpose of return trips to the visitor’s home country and if this is used only to seek re-entry to the UK
• the links they have with their home country-consider especially any long term commitments and where the applicant is registered for tax purposes
• evidence the UK is their main place of residence, for example
- if they have registered with a general practitioner (GP)
- send their children to UK schools
• the history of previous applications, for example if the visitor has previously been refused under the family rules and subsequently wants to enter as a visitor you must assess if they are using the visitor route to avoid the rules in place for family migrants joining British or settled persons in the UK

There is no specified maximum period which an individual can spend in the UK in any period such as ‘6 months in 12 months’. However, if it is clear from an individual’s travel history that they are making the UK their home you should refuse their application.

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 07:24:15 PM »
I met my now English hubby online back in 2001 and we ended up marrying and settling in the UK. Where we live now is much prettier than Toledo for sure and there are loads of other benefits line being by the sea , near the South Downs, less crime , milder winters.
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 134
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 10:56:12 PM »
Hello from another Ohioan!  I am from the Canton area myself, now living in Essex.  Like other people have said, the best thing to do is just embrace the tourist within.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 09:53:41 AM »
Welcome! I'm from just across the river (Covington) and live in Newcastle now. This really is a great site. You can bring cans of Skyline over but I've yet to figure out how to get goetta! As much as I complained about the sweltering summers back home, I do miss wearing tank tops and sundresses over here.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 10:33:05 AM »
I am from a small town about an hour west of Cleveland, been living in Staffordshire on a spousal visa since August 2015. True blue Ohio girl though.  ;)
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

Sponsored Links