Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Transferring funds between the UK and US  (Read 2761 times)

• Liked: 36
Transferring funds between the UK and US
« on: November 26, 2016, 04:12:57 AM »
We might be moving to the UK but would still own a house in the US and plan to rent it out for a year to make sure we like it.  My husband will also need to go over before we do to start a job.  He will open a UK account and his pay will be deposited there.  Will I be able to use xe.com to transfer money from our UK account to the US one to pay our mortgage, etc?   I currently use it to send money to our family in the UK. 

• Liked: 718
Re: Transferring funds between the UK and US
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 04:26:48 AM »
I've used xe.com to move funds from the UK to the US when my wide received an iheritance in 2011, although in recent years it has been transferring money the other way.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 41
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 01:39:18 PM »
Transferwise is my preferred method of transferring funds. Very low fees and very easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Transferwise is my preferred method of transferring funds. Very low fees and very easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

I still have my xe.com account and everytime I do a transfer I get a quote from both xe.com and transferwise, and always find transferwise to be cheaper.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »
I've always used XE.com in the past to pay my student loan, U.S. credit cards, send back holiday spending money etc.  So as others said agree it would be one option for OP as generally it's reliable and had no problems to send money whenever I need it. 

However on my most recent transaction this month (now that XE have changed payment processor from Custom House to HiFX) the option to have the funds sent by a preferred EFT delivery method to my US account wasn't there, as I had always done before. 

So now that it has gone through, I've noticed they have indeed sent the payment to my U.S. account as a wire transfer which my U.S. bank tacks on an extra $16 processing fee for.  Obviously that will be quite an annoying extra charge each time, which was never needed before using XE in the past.

I've just signed up for Transferwise to look into it, but neither their FAQ or Deal booking page describe or give an option of how the funds will be sent to my U.S. account.  Does anyone with experience using it know if Transferwise are also likely to send the funds as a wire transfer? 

• Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 12:55:01 AM »
I have been comparing   HiFx, and Transfer Wise and have just started with Money Corp,  will get more info on money corp Mon. as they close down when markets are closed.  Anyone out there have any experience with Money Corp?  I will keep you informed when I have more. So far Transfer Wise has best rates.

• Banned

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
Transferwise is cheap and very easy to set up and use. There's another similar one called Azimo that's cheap, but a bit less user-friendly. Just don't use a UK bank!
Disclaimer: Works for spammylink.pleasereportthispost

• Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 11:18:46 PM »
Transferwise is the way to go,  just used it,  their support was excellent,  they emailed everything my bank needed,  I opened email handed it to my teller and TW agent stayed on phone while my teller worked through it.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 08:38:36 PM »
Does anyone have experience of using WorldFirst to transfer money from the States to the UK? https://www.worldfirst.com/uk/support/ [nofollow] to transfer funds? They came up on top on the following comparison website. http://moneytransfercomparison.com/worlds-first/ [nofollow]

Many thanks!

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 08:23:16 PM »
I've been using xe for transfers from the U.K. To Us for over 10 years and on my last transfer was charged for the first time ever by my American bank. Disappointed about that. Don't think I'll switch though will probably still use xe
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
I've been using xe for transfers from the U.K. To Us for over 10 years and on my last transfer was charged for the first time ever by my American bank. Disappointed about that. Don't think I'll switch though will probably still use xe

It looks like XE have been overhauled or bought out or something recently because I had been using XETrade, but I was sent an email a couple of months ago introducing me to their new site , and when I went to log in again, I was told that I would have to resubmit all my identity documents/bank details, as if I was starting from scratch with a new account.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 09:00:42 AM »
It looks like XE have been overhauled or bought out or something recently because I had been using XETrade, but I was sent an email a couple of months ago introducing me to their new site , and when I went to log in again, I was told that I would have to resubmit all my identity documents/bank details, as if I was starting from scratch with a new account.

They redesigned their website and changed partners. I've been using it for years and didn't have to resubmit anything. Perhaps you were caught up in some random review thing that just happened to coincide with the changes?

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 02:38:43 PM »
I'm really struggling with this at the moment. I've used xe.com for years to move money from US to UK, and last time, when I needed to move money for a one-off tax bill (bigger than I expected), they only let me move half the amount I needed. When I got them on the phone this morning they said that had changed the rules and now I was limited in the number of transfers and the total amount in a 90-day period.

Then I started signing up with TransferWise, but found out that they only allow wire transfers, for which my bank in the US charges $30 and upwards - fine if it's only a large sum once a year, say, but otherwise it adds up very quickly. xe allows ACH/EFT transfers, which are free.

Anyone?? I asked TransferWise to just close my (unused) account, but I fear I may need them anyway.
September 2009: Tier 1 visa
April 2011: Married
March 2012: FLR(M)
February 2012: SET(M) application submitted

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
I have only ever done free ACH transfers with Transferwise, maximum value was initially $5,000 then quickly increased to $7,500.  I opened 2 accounts with them, one in my name and one in my wife's name so I can send up to $15,000 by ACH on the same day.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
Now that's interesting...do you have a Citibank account by chance? (They told me that's what the use for their US accounts.) My US account is with Bank of America so it would involve a domestic wire transfer.
September 2009: Tier 1 visa
April 2011: Married
March 2012: FLR(M)
February 2012: SET(M) application submitted

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab