Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Transferring funds between the UK and US  (Read 2764 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Transferring funds between the UK and US
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »
After comparing rates with Bank of America, I used https://www.worldfirst.com/uk/support/ [nofollow] for my transfer earlier this month. I can't remember what their minimum transfer amount is. For a transfer of $20,000 I was about 400 British pounds better off with WorldFirst, compared to Bank of America. I used Bank of America's wire transfer option, transferred it as directed by World First's to their US account (held with City Bank), which they then transfer to World First's UK account at Barclay's, and then deposited into my UK bank account (at a different bank). I spoke to BofA beforehand and as this was my first every wire transfer, they offered to wave the $30 fee for me. (Maybe I should have played the lottery that day!) I'm not sure if World First would have allowed one of the other domestic transfer options, but I"m guessing they would have as you have several days to fund the transfer. World First had excellent customer service who stayed on the phone with me (at my request) while I made the transfer online, and even phoned me several days later to check that I was satisfied.  The rate offered by both BofA and World First on their online charts seemed to be better than the actual rate once you click through to get your time limited exchange rate.

As an aside, i also spoke to the HMRC tax office on the phone first to confirm that there would be no tax implications for my transfer. In my situation, they said there were no tax implications (it was my own money sitting in a non interest earning savings account, and I was moving it to the UK into my own account.) They did ask for my name and NI number when I spoke to HMRC. World First also has their own checks to prevent money laundering.

I hope this information helps someone else, as this forum has been a great help to me over the years!

• Liked: 35
Re: Transferring funds between the UK and US
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 11:37:36 AM »
...as this was my first every wire transfer, they offered to wave the $30 fee for me. (Maybe I should have played the lottery that day!)

They are hoping to hook you and turn you into a wire-addict.  ;D

Sponsored Links