Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I knew a Trump voter in the UK...she's no longer my friend.  (Read 5675 times)

• Liked: 2
I knew a Trump voter in the UK...she's no longer my friend.
« on: November 27, 2016, 02:12:06 AM »
If there is one thing I am grateful for because of the election, it is finally really understanding that a person's incredible "niceness" to me on a personal level is not necessarily an indication of whether that person would have voted for Hitler in 1930s Germany.

The woman I knew was incredibly "nice," but she once indicated her belief that President Obama was a Muslim because he had "grown up" in a Muslim majority country (I think she meant Indonesia). She complained about her landlord, but made a point to say he was black and said something like, "You know how they are..." She repeatedly said that she was lucky to grow up in Italy when "Europe was still Europe."

I was so excited to meet another "nice" American (who btw had ethnic friends) that I ignored all of it. At one point she said, "I can't wait for Trump to become my President." My head exploded. I could understand a Republican who holds their nose to vote due to Supreme Court or trade agreement issues. But someone who thinks he's a great guy and who's excited about him???

Even then I didn't dump her. After the election I posted to FB stories of minorities being harassed by Trump supporters or racists emboldened by Trump's win. She took offense to THAT and unfriended me. She messaged me. But that was the last straw. I just can't believe she could see no connection between her candidate and the increase in hostility toward immigrants and people of color. I know we'd never be friends if we weren't living as foreigners in the UK. But she was still a big part of my life.

• Liked: 533
Re: I knew a Trump voter in the UK...she's no longer my friend.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »
We live in strange times, when those who believe in fairness and kindness and rationality feel driven underground. Truth itself is being attacked.

As immigrants we are targeted, being American is no shield.

There is nothing wrong with befriending those who think differently,  as immigrants we choose to put ourselves in a position that requires it. But  keep those who think unkind thoughts at arm's length.

Thanks for your post, I feel less isolated now.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:15:34 AM »
I probably would’ve started inching away with “You know how they* are…” as I do when someone starts on about the healing power of crystals. (Not to conflate the two; some hurdles to friendship are higher than others.) A lot of heads exploded in 2016.

* unless by “they” she meant landlords. Heh.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 01:15:53 PM »
There's actually a good reason for Americans living on other countries to support Trump (and other Republicans): Democrats are the ones who imposed FATCA and support CBT the most. The GOP, despite their many other evils, actually have this one issue in mind for Americans abroad. (I know it's normally not good to be a single-issue voter, but when your ability to open a bank account or get a mortgage and live a normal financial life in your country of residence is at stake I would consider voting for someone based on that.)

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »
There's actually a good reason for Americans living on other countries to support Trump (and other Republicans): Democrats are the ones who imposed FATCA and support CBT the most. The GOP, despite their many other evils, actually have this one issue in mind for Americans abroad. (I know it's normally not good to be a single-issue voter, but when your ability to open a bank account or get a mortgage and live a normal financial life in your country of residence is at stake I would consider voting for someone based on that.)

Point taken.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »

No. There is no good reason to support Donald Trump. Yes, there is a policy or two that may be good. But that doesn't outweigh everything that he is and everything that he has done. Who puts a KKK member in the White House on purpose?!

It does suck that we have to report our foreign accounts to the government. And that our government has asked it's allies to report to them. But it all goes back to the tax dodgers who put ALL their money in foreign accounts to get around paying their measly taxes. And it is measly compared to what the middle class pays in comparison of percentages of their earnings.

Put the blame where it actually belongs, on people who feel that they aren't subject to the same rules as the rest of us.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »
No. There is no good reason to support Donald Trump. Yes, there is a policy or two that may be good. But that doesn't outweigh everything that he is and everything that he has done. Who puts a KKK member in the White House on purpose?!

It does suck that we have to report our foreign accounts to the government. And that our government has asked it's allies to report to them. But it all goes back to the tax dodgers who put ALL their money in foreign accounts to get around paying their measly taxes. And it is measly compared to what the middle class pays in comparison of percentages of their earnings.

Put the blame where it actually belongs, on people who feel that they aren't subject to the same rules as the rest of us.

Point taken.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 05:07:12 PM »
I'd probably agree with lyonaria if it was JUST having to file tax returns/account reports/etc. However, given that there are so many banks turning away customers just because they are U.S. citizens and don't want to have to mess with the FATCA paperwork - which in some cases severely limits a USC's options for banking, loans/mortgages, etc. - and the exorbitant fee to renounce U.S. citizenship to get out of this mess - I oppose pro-FATCA candidates (unless perhaps they were willing to introduce a same-country exemption).

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »
I won't ever put my own complicated foreign financial situation above the safety, well-being, and civil rights of my friends.

I stand with the "there is no reason" crowd.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »
FATCA is a bad law. But the issue is more complex than that. FATCA is designed to regulate Americans who have bank accounts overseas. It is a bad law for expats who only have foreign bank accounts because we have to if we want to live normal lives in the countries where we live. The problem isn't us, it's the Americans who live in the US but keep their assets offshore. But most people, on both sides of the aisle, don't understand why any American would want to live abroad. They don't care about our issues, and more than that many don't think that we even retain the right to vote. THAT is the problem, from our standpoint. No one in Washington represents us, not really. Trumpites might oppose FATCA, but only because they want to be able to stash their loot offshore with no complications. Despite the personal struggles we face, we should definitely not vote for hyper-"patriotic" oligarchs with dictatorial tendencies, there is no way in flaming heck that they would ever be on our side in a conflict. After all, how could we be "real Americans" when we choose not to live in the best country in the world?
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 11:54:30 PM »
I'd probably agree with lyonaria if it was JUST having to file tax returns/account reports/etc. However, given that there are so many banks turning away customers just because they are U.S. citizens and don't want to have to mess with the FATCA paperwork - which in some cases severely limits a USC's options for banking, loans/mortgages, etc. - and the exorbitant fee to renounce U.S. citizenship to get out of this mess - I oppose pro-FATCA candidates (unless perhaps they were willing to introduce a same-country exemption).

I can't say anything better than historyenne already said. I completely agree with her.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 12:18:58 AM »
I'm not sure how this became a discussion about financial laws. None of those apply to me personally and none of it was implicated in the original post. Perhaps the moderator can delete this whole thread as it's no longer on point.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
I'm not sure how this became a discussion about financial laws.

My wife and I, when we have a discussion, we end up having to backtrack up a long and winding trail to try and get to the subject again. Starts out on climate change and ends up on hubcaps....

But I do always like it when our "tax yanks" pop over into the general arena.   

• Liked: 1891
I knew a Trump voter in the UK...she's no longer my friend.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 10:44:24 AM »
I'm not sure how this became a discussion about financial laws. None of those apply to me personally and none of it was implicated in the original post. Perhaps the moderator can delete this whole thread as it's no longer on point.

It's just a political discussion, there's no reason to delete anything.  If the subject no longer interests you, just stop reading.

I think your original post was interesting though.  Personally, this election has taught me why it's better just not to talk politics or religion with some people.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:58:46 AM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 10:47:53 AM »
Hey hey, a thread went off on a tangent and it wasn't me!  Win for KF!!   ;D

Sponsored Links