Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: JUST MARRIED! and now the SPOUSE VISA begins ...  (Read 4439 times)

• Liked: 14
JUST MARRIED! and now the SPOUSE VISA begins ...
« on: December 01, 2016, 11:36:47 PM »
Hello ! I just joined this awesome forum a couple weeks ago and I am amazed at the wealth of information and the helpfulness from everyone, thank you !

Here is my info and questions:

Married in US, November 2016, no previous marriages or children
Applicant (me)- US citizen
Sponsor (spouse) - UK citizen
Financial Requirement- to be met with sponsor's UK salaried employment greater than 6 mos, category A
Accommodations-sponsor co-owns flat

At the time of my application, which I hope to send in January 2017, the accommodations will be as follows

- sponsor co-owns flat (3 bedrooms + living room)
- residents-sponsor, co-owner and a roommate

Besides the sponsor submitting a Land registry and current mortgage statement, do I need any other supporting documents from the accommodation section list below? Do I need a letter from the co-owner stating permission to reside there?

Married in US November 2016, no previous marriages or children
Applicant (me)- US citizen
Sponsor (husband) UK citizen
Financial Requirement- to be met with sponsor's UK salaried employment greater than 6 mos, category A
Accommodations-sponsor co-owns flat

Question- at the time of my application, which I hope to send in January 2017, the accommodations will be as follows

- residents-sponsor, co-owner and a roommate

Besides the sponsor submitting a Land Registry document and current mortgage statement, do I need any other accommodation supporting documents from the list below ? (I hope the screenshot shows below)

Do I need a letter from the co-owner stating permission to reside there?

Where can I find documentation on accommodation rules and guidelines? How many people for the size of flat, etc.

Thank you for any info !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
Re: JUST MARRIED! and now the SPOUSE VISA begins ...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »
Congratulations on the marriage!

You will need to send a letter from the co-owner giving you permission to live in the property when your visa is approved, as well as the land registry document and recent mortgage statement as you mentioned.

In a 4  room apartment, there is more than enough space for the 4 of you.
Assuming the rooms are not less than 50 square feet, you could sleep 7 in there according to the overcrowding rules! 

See page 18 for the accommodation info (but don't pay attention to the financial requirements mentioned in this document, those are for people exempt from the financial requirements due to the UKC claiming certain disability benefits or those still on the old rules).

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/452964/IDI_Adequate_Maintenance_and_Accommodation_Part_8_Annex_F.pdf

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:10:48 PM »
Thank you  Larrabee! To clarify, I need to send in the Following WITH my application:
-land registry document
-recent mortgage statement
-letter from co-owner giving me permission to live there

Is there a required format for the letter stating permission ?

Again, thank you !

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »
Thank you  Larrabee! To clarify, I need to send in the Following WITH my application:
-land registry document
-recent mortgage statement
-letter from co-owner giving me permission to live there

Is there a required format for the letter stating permission ?

Again, thank you !

You're welcome!
Yes, send those.  All your evidence for meeting the accommodation, financial, relationship requirements etc must be sent with your application. You can't add anything later unless it is specifically requested and you can't count on them requesting a missing document so aim for a perfect application right from the start!

The letter should mention the size of the property ie number of rooms, number of inhabitants, that it will not be overcrowded, the fact that they co-own it with your husband and that they give you permission to live there once your visa is granted.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »
One final question, does the letter from the co-owner need to be notarized/certified ?

Thank you ! Have a great day !

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 05:58:55 PM »
One final question, does the letter from the co-owner need to be notarized/certified ?

Thank you ! Have a great day !

It should be a signed original but no need to have it notarized.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »
Ok, I really appreciate the information, thank you !

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 07:22:25 AM »
Hi again ! More questions as I work on the application...

1) Relationship evidence- how does one show proof of letters and cards without sharing content ? Also for communication logs from WhatsApp and Skype I understand 1-2 pages covering the length of our relationship is sufficient, is a simple Office Word document ok? I haven't seen any samples of communication logs so I'm a little lost.

2) where are the rules/guidelines for when an application can be submitted with respect to the intended travel date ?  I was hoping to apply the later part of January and set the travel date in March.

3) I understand once the spouse visa is approved there is 30 day window to travel to the UK to pick up the BRP card. However I read elsewhere once the spouse visa is approved one has 30 days to move? I plan to enter the UK, pick up the BRP card, and return to the US several months later to wrap up final moving details (just to pick up small personal items).

4) The spouse visa is valid for 30 months, what date does the counter begin ? The date of approval ?

Thank you for any advice on all this !!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 07:36:04 AM »
1) Relationship evidence- how does one show proof of letters and cards without sharing content ? Also for communication logs from WhatsApp and Skype I understand 1-2 pages covering the length of our relationship is sufficient, is a simple Office Word document ok? I haven't seen any samples of communication logs so I'm a little lost.

For cards and letters, you have to send the whole thing, so they will see the content.

For communication logs, yeah, just screenshot onto a piece of paper (i.e. Word doc) and print.

2) where are the rules/guidelines for when an application can be submitted with respect to the intended travel date ?  I was hoping to apply the later part of January and set the travel date in March.

Your intended travel date can be up to 3 months ahead of the date you apply online - so applying in late January means you can put a travel date of anywhere up to late April.

3) I understand once the spouse visa is approved there is 30 day window to travel to the UK to pick up the BRP card. However I read elsewhere once the spouse visa is approved one has 30 days to move? I plan to enter the UK, pick up the BRP card, and return to the US several months later to wrap up final moving details (just to pick up small personal items).

Your vignette should be made valid for 30 days from the intended travel date you put on the application. You must travel to the UK and get your vignette stamped within those 30 days (so don't travel in via Dublin, as it won't be stamped).

Once you are in the UK, you have 10 days to pick up the BRP card (or until the end of the 30 days, whichever is later).

Once you have the BRP you can come and go as you please, but for the next visas, you will need to provide evidence of living with your partner in the UK for potentially the entire length of the visa, so if you go back to the US for a few months, you may have trouble proving this.

Why not just apply for the visa a few months later when you're completely ready to move, so you don't have to go back to the US for a few months?

4) The spouse visa is valid for 30 months, what date does the counter begin ? The date of approval ?

It should actually be valid for 33 months and it starts on the date printed on the visa vignette/BRP card, which is determined by the travel date you put on the application.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 07:49:47 AM »

Why not just apply for the visa a few months later when you're completely ready to move, so you don't have to go back to the US for a few months?

I may have stated my intentions not too clearly, I would only be returning in the fall to the US for a few weeks. Yes I need to keep in mind the next visa phase as well ! Thank you for the quick responses!

• Liked: 107
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 08:21:57 AM »
Great advice given (this forum solely helped my visa application).

My £0.02, pay for priority if you have the money. If I remember it was about £200 extra which was in 2014. We applied, heard nothing for 5 weeks, and paid priority during the process. One week later my wife received her passport. Should have done it at the start and it's something I strongly advise if you can afford it and are quite time-bound.

As ksand24 said, you must fly directly into the UK. Aer Lingus offer cheap flights but you clear UK immigration at Dublin which is not acceptable for your visa.

Going forward once your visa is approved, uncheck everything that says paperless. Visas are not a paperless process. And collect every letter you get going forward.

Lastly, congratulations!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:00:20 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 09:02:30 AM »
Great advice given (this forum solely helped my visa application).

My £0.02, pay for priority if you have the money. If I remember it was about £200 extra which was in 2014. We applied, heard nothing for 5 weeks, and paid priority during the process. One week later my wife received her passport. Should have done it at the start and it's something I strongly advise if you can afford it and are quite time-bound.

As ksand24 said, you must fly directly into the UK. Aer Lingus offer cheap flights but you clear UK immigration at Dublin which is not acceptable for your visa.

Going forward once your visa is approved, uncheck everything that says paperless. Visas are not a paperless process. And collect every letter you get going forward.

Lastly, congratulations!

The process has changed quite a bit since Ben applied.  Priority is ~$600 now and you cannot upgrade to priority after you've applied.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »
The process has changed quite a bit since Ben applied.  Priority is ~$600 now and you cannot upgrade to priority after you've applied.

Wow, that's a significant increase over two years
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

JUST MARRIED! and now the SPOUSE VISA begins ...
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 08:18:23 AM »

At the time of my application, which I hope to send in January 2017, the accommodation will be as follows

- 5 residents-sponsor, co-owner, 2 roommates

Besides the sponsor submitting a Land registry and current mortgage statement, do I need any other supporting documents from the accommodation section list below? Do I need a letter from the co-owner stating permission to reside there?

Is there any need for a property inspection report since the flat will not be occupied by a single family? How is the space calculated for overcrowding when the accommodation is not inhabited by a single family ? When I read the guidelines it said something about additional rules.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:20:37 AM by Nwine »

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
Is there any need for a property inspection report since the flat will not be occupied by a single family?

In my 10 years on the forum, I've never heard of anyone needing a property inspection, regardless of the type of property/occupation.

How is the space calculated for overcrowding when the accommodation is not inhabited by a single family ? When I read the guidelines it said something about additional rules.

As far as I know, it's the same for all properties:
They look at the number of people living in the property and the number of bedrooms + living rooms over 50 square feet in size.

You mentioned earlier that the property has 3 bedrooms and 1 living room... so that's 4 rooms available.

If there are 4 rooms, you can have up to 7.5 people living in the property (children under 10 count as 0.5 of a person).

Since it sounds like there will only be 4 people in the property (sponsor, applicant, co-owner and roommate), there should be no issue with overcrowding anyway, so UKVI should have no need to investigate further.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa--2#maa12-overcrowding

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab