Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Midwest to Midlands  (Read 623 times)

• Liked: 0
Midwest to Midlands
« on: December 02, 2016, 02:28:21 AM »
Hello. I'm now a pensioner and I feel that I must honor my threat/promise to family and friends to move overseas should Trump win.

Son of a WW2 war bride. Hoping to cross the pond in '17 to stay for good.

Re: Midwest to Midlands
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 03:30:19 AM »
Hi! Do you have British or EU citizenship so that you can make good your promise?

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:45:44 AM »
Hi! Do you have British or EU citizenship so that you can make good your promise?

No, but after Googling and sifting through the UK.gov site, it appears that I can apply since my mother was a Brit. I'm just now gathering all the info about what I need and stumbled upon this site. Actually, I've been thinking about making the move for quite some time and Trump's win isn't a factor. My mom was from Birmingham and I've visited once (in '88) after my father passed away. I'm retired and divorced, so ready for a change.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:55:44 AM by ImIan »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 08:56:31 AM »
No, but after Googling and sifting through the UK.gov site, it appears that I can apply since my mother was a Brit. I'm just now gathering all the info about what I need and stumbled upon this site. Actually, I've been thinking about making the move for quite some time and Trump's win isn't a factor. My mom was from Birmingham and I've visited once (in '88) after my father passed away. I'm retired and divorced, so ready for a change.

Hi ImIan, welcome!  :)

I'm sure you've seen these but just in case.

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen

And don't forget, you'll need a passport if coming here to live.  https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport

My late mil actually did just that when Bush got in! She moved to the UK on the (now defunct) retired person of independent means visa and returned to the US for Obama! ;D

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »
Hi! And yes, I've looked through those links and know that I'll need to file a UKM app to register. I've been searching the forum in hopes of finding someone who has made the move recently and with very similar circumstances. At first I thought that I would just visit for 6 weeks or so in March-April and stay at AirBnB offerings so I could make up my mind as to whether or not I wanted to try and stay permanently.

Now I'm thinking of just selling everything I own and buying a one-way ticket and hope for the best. Would it be foolish to just go ahead and make the trip and stay at temporary lodgings while I wait for approval?  Would buying a RT ticket (just in case) affect the outcome?  So many questions...

PS: Wouldn't I have to wait for UKM approval before I could get a UK passport? I now have a US passport but it needs to be renewed.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:00:41 PM »
Get the UK passport before leaving the US.

I would personally recommend your first idea of coming for an extended visit.  Really try to imagine that you HAVE moved permanently.  There is a huge difference between visiting the UK and living in the UK.  And honestly, it's not for everyone.  I would trial run it before completely ending your life in the US, but that's just my opinion.   :)

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:37:27 PM »
Thanks for your replies. Now I'm busy gathering the documents that are needed to apply.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab