Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR(M) at Cardiff PSC  (Read 266 times)

• Liked: 7
FLR(M) at Cardiff PSC
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:57:38 AM »
Had my appointment for FLR (M) at Cardiff PSC yesterday, everything went pretty smoothly (I get to stay)! I figured I would share my experience as I found it useful reading about other’s experiences but couldn’t find many about Cardiff PSC. For reference this was my first FLR (M) after having a spouse visa and we applied using Category A with just my husband’s financial info (though we both work).

Our appointment was at 2:30 and they would not let us in early- we tried as we arrived super early but the guard told us to come back at 2:15. Once we were in, you have to show security your appointment confirmation and then they do the usual scanner/search stuff. Security took a bit, as they extensively search any bags you bring. We had a backpack full of extra documents and they even searched the document wallets. Better safe than sorry I guess? The security guys were relatively friendly but not overly so.

Once we finished security you go up a flight of stairs and wait to be seen at a reception desk, which is where they check you in and take all of your documents. This is unlike what I’ve read about other PSC’s, where you hand the documents over to the case worker. The woman who checked us is was SUPER nice and helpful throughout the process, as was everyone else in the actual centre. Check-in took about 15 mins and she checked the application form to make sure it was valid. They then put everything into their own document wallet and it waits to be picked up by a case worker. She told us at the time that there were 6 ‘hefty’ cases ahead of us and 3 ‘simple’ ones, so we knew we’d be waiting for a while. I started to ask her a question about the financial evidence but she said she couldn’t answer, as the case worker would ask if they needed anything else from us.

The waiting area is fairly comfortable but a bit small. There are plenty sofas and armchairs so you can make yourself pretty comfortable if you have to be there for a while.  There’s a water fountain, a vending machine with snacks and drinks and a coffee machine that makes hot drinks for 50p. We took a bottle of water in, but I don’t know if you’re allowed to bring any other drinks/food in. There is also one TV in the waiting area that has BBC One on that was driving me a bit crazy.

It took about 30 minutes from the appointment time to be called in for biometrics, but again, the woman who took them was very nice and it took less than 5 minutes to complete. After biometrics, we let the woman at reception know that we were going out for a coffee and she told us when to be back (about 1.5 hrs), but let us know it wasn’t a problem if we weren’t there when they finished, as she would let them know when we were planning to be back and they would just call us up then. Once we were back (an hour later), our case still hadn’t been picked up so we sat back down in the waiting area. Around 4:30 the woman from reception let us know that it was now with a caseworker and would probably be about an hour. Just 40 minutes later, we were called over by the case worker and told the decision- so actual processing was SO fast! They didn’t ask any questions or ask for any additional documents from those we supplied.

We had to wait about another half hour for them to finish processing (making copies, ordering BRP & finalising some other paperwork). So, I would definitely advise making copies if you can as it will decrease your wait time. We were going to, but we ran out of printer ink the night before!

As far as location, for anyone travelling into Cardiff (I live in Wiltshire), the PSC is about an 8 min walk from the city centre with a massive shopping area and lots of food/coffee shops. There is also a Starbucks just across the street from the PSC which is where we went to get coffee while we were waiting. We parked near the shopping area (St David’s) as were super early and had lunch before we walked over. The walk from St David’s was only about 15 mins and is very convenient as it has a very big car park and you can pay by card. I’m sure there are closer options though as there were lots of signs for car parks near the PSC and the University is nearby as well.

If you can swing the extra 500 I would recommend it, but it IS a lot of money. However, as I have some unexpected travel plans it was worth the peace of mind. It was also nice being able to actually ask a person questions- I asked the case worker at the end what I should do if my BRP hadn't arrived before my planned travel date, and she was able to confirm that I would still be allowed in on my first visa as it will not have expired yet. I figured that would be the case, but not knowing was REALLY stressing me out and now I can relax and pack and be off to America in a week. :)

The case worker also said my BRP would be posted royal mail special delivery- which was a bit confusing. Do they not use DX anymore? Is it different for different PSCs?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:00:57 AM by sputinka »
Engaged: Sept 1 2013
Married: Dec 27 2013
Online application completed: Jan 28 2014
Biometrics completed: Jan 30 2014
Application packet mailed: Feb 8 2014
Documents delivered by FedEx: Feb 11
Email confirmation from Sheffield: Feb 12
Decision email received: Apr 4
Visa arrived: Apr 7
Moved to England: Apr 9 2014

Sponsored Links