Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help To Buy  (Read 890 times)

• Liked: 24
Help To Buy
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:31:18 PM »
This is a bit premature to ask this as I haven't yet got my spouse visa (I'm applying just after New Years), but are there restrictions on doing the Help to Buy schemes when on limited (non-indefinite) leave?

My husband and I would ideally like to buy in the next 18-24 months, but as we'd be buying in London we would really do better to use at least one of the schemes to do so.

The HtB London programme has the government provide a 40% loan to be used on the deposit, which you start to back with low interest after five years, while the HtB ISA bonus gives you a 25% bonus on a certain savings.

I know that if you're on limited leave you can't take benefits, but does it extend to these programs as well, or is there nothing stopping me from starting an ISA when I arrive?

(Getting a mortgage I am sure will also be no mean feat until I get ILR, but let's skip over that bit for a moment.)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Help To Buy
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:42:32 PM »
Here's a good link in the past about the ISA.  Big thing is that it'll be taxable to the US.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=87618.msg1140552#msg1140552

It's not considered a public fund.  This is the list of benefits you can't participate in:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds--2/public-funds

The big thing you'll find is that you'll need a solid work history in the UK for a couple of years before your income can count.  Without a large deposit (and heck, even with), you'll have to pay a higher interest rate if you are not on ILR.  I do not have ILR and I am listed on the mortgage of one of our properties.

Ideally try to stay off the mortgage if at all possible, as it keeps your US tax filing much simpler.  Though sometimes the only way is by being on the mortgage.  Just do research and know what you are opening yourself up to if you are on the mortgage.

When the time comes, you'll want/need to use a mortgage broker as the banks won't talk to you without ILR.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab