Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you tip for nails or hair in uk?  (Read 3223 times)

• Liked: 0
Do you tip for nails or hair in uk?
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:07:15 PM »
If I get my nails or hair done in the uk do I tip like in America? I don't know what's proper

• Liked: 3589
Re: Do you tip for nails or hair in uk?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
I've never had my nails done, but I don't tip the hairdresser (I'm UK born and raised).

I know some people do tip for hair, but for me, the haircut itself is so expensive that I can't really justify a tip as well.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 01:03:07 PM »
I don't tip either.  One easy trick is to pay by card.  If no option for tip, easy answer!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »
A lady I worked with used to be a hairdresser and she said always tip. I had my hair done for the first time last week here in the U.K.. and it was an overhaul (hadn't had it done in about a year). So I tipped like seven pounds nothing huge compared to the U.S. And she seemed to taken aback.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 01:42:34 PM »
We always tip our hairdresser and they always appreciate it.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »
I always tip my hairdresser whenever I get it done..
:)

• Liked: 584
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 03:17:11 PM »
I always tip my hairdresser, but I don't over-do it.... just around 10%.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:32:34 AM by Albatross »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 03:43:32 PM »
So we just tip hair dressers?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
I tip my barber and think it's probably a normal thing to do.  I usually tip a pound or two on a 10 quid cut. I used to live off tips and therefore tend to over tip everyone.

I bet that the native UK men never tip and would be angry that I did.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
I don't tip hairdressers here. It's not expected, and the crazy tipping culture in the US is not something that should be encouraged in other countries.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 03:04:28 PM »
I know some people tip the person who shampoos their hair when they go to the hairdressers (a couple of pounds, maybe), since they usually don't get paid much and are often teenagers/young trainees. I think doing that is a bit more common than tipping the stylist themselves?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 04:05:07 PM »
I don't tip hairdressers here. It's not expected, and the crazy tipping culture in the US is not something that should be encouraged in other countries.

Yes, that's what I meant about British people being mad that I tip the barber. 

I'm not against encouraging a tipping culture here if it goes hand in hand with encouraging a customer service culture as well.  I'd happily pay a tip to have someone with some desire to do their job help me, even better if they poses a tiny bit of competence. 

I even tip in a pub if someone brings the food to the table.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »
Yes, that's what I meant about British people being mad that I tip the barber. 

I'm not against encouraging a tipping culture here if it goes hand in hand with encouraging a customer service culture as well.  I'd happily pay a tip to have someone with some desire to do their job help me, even better if they poses a tiny bit of competence. 

I even tip in a pub if someone brings the food to the table.

Yes.

I mean the thing with tipping in the US is the minimum wage exclusion for wait staff. I don't want to see that in the UK.

But, it is my understanding that many businesses will keep the tips. I have heard this is the case with added on service charges.

I tipped a delivery driver five pounds not long ago as he lugged a flatpack up two flights of stairs. My back was out at the time. He took it without hesitation.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
I'm not against encouraging a tipping culture here if it goes hand in hand with encouraging a customer service culture as well.

But it doesn't. That's what I hate about US tipping culture. You have to tip there, because people rely on tips for their livelihoods, but all it encourages is a kind of craven subservience and fake friendliness that I find cringeworthy.

I'd happily pay a tip to have someone with some desire to do their job help me, even better if they poses a tiny bit of competence. 

But if you pay them for the job they're doing, why should you have to pay extra for them to do the job well?

The best customer service you'll find anywhere in the world is in Japan, where they absolutely refuse to accept tips--they consider the idea that they need to be bribed to do their jobs deeply insulting. No matter what the job they take pride in doing it. When I lived in Osaka, there was a construction project down the street from my flat. They were using several large electrical cords that went from the building to the street, over the sidewalk. One of the workers' job was to stand next to those cords and warn everyone walking by to be careful and not trip over them. That was his whole job, and he did it with cheerful good humour because it was his job, and for no other reason.

I digress a bit, but my point is that tipping is no guarantee of quality service, but it is a guarantee of poorly paid, stressed service workers who feel they need to debase themselves just to make a living. I'd rather pay more for my food, haircut, taxi, whatever, and have the people who serve me paid decent wages that allow them self-respect.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 09:33:59 AM »
I know some people do tip for hair, but for me, the haircut itself is so expensive that I can't really justify a tip as well.

Exactly.

I don't tip either.  One easy trick is to pay by card.  If no option for tip, easy answer!

This is what I do.  :D :D

Totally agree.

I was in the US for 3 weeks in November and I was like, "UGGH! Tipping" (Especially in a bar!! Craft beers are awesome, but expensive. And whilst I want to encourage more bars to have good beer and to support independent brewers,  when you've paid $7 or $8 for a beer, you really don't want to tip $1 or $2 on top of that for the person who poured it.  When all they did was pour it and hand it to me.   :-\\\\

(This makes me sound awful ,but I too would rather pay more for the drink and have it included, rather than having to give someone tips)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links