Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First year in UK  (Read 825 times)

• Liked: 154
First year in UK
« on: December 20, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »
Today marks my one year mark living in the U.K. Seems so crazy that last year I was literally terrified of moving here.

I have a decent job, been driving (failed my driving test last week but barely and have a new test rebooked).

I kept waiting to be homesick.. and it didn't hit me until we went home for thanksgiving. Now that I'm back I really miss my family and friends. I have yet to meet a close friend who I can hang out with, and my husbands family is small and only sees each other a few times a year.

Other than that, I feel like I have transitioned pretty well. How's everybody else doing that has moved in the last year? I am so grateful for everybody here who's helped answer questions.. big and small.  I realize I am kind of rambling here. Sorry!

I hope you all have good holidays!!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: First year in UK
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
Happy Imiagraversary!!  :D

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 18
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 08:31:59 PM »
Happy Anniversary! 

It's just past 2 years for me, so I don't really have recent 1st year experience, but it sounds like you're doing great to me.  I also failed my first (and second!) driving test, but passed on the 3rd try.  I'm now driving around pretty comfortably... except for those occasional brain farts that find me on the wrong side of the road - heh   :-X 

So.... in my experience, persistence pays off!    ;D

Happy Imiagraversary!!  :D

LOL - I hurt myself trying to pronounce that!  ;)
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »
Glad you're doing well! My year anniversary was in August. While I passed my UK driving test (automatic!) first time a few months ago, I am still struggling to find a job within my background. Currently, I have two part time jobs- one retail job that was just meant to be a temporary thing to tide me over for a bit, and a job as a learning support assistant at a local college (more within my field, but unfortunately the hours are just PRN/casual. Took it for the experience). I would absolutely love to have just one, full time job, so that's what I hope 2017 will bring!

I don't really have any friends here and I've really struggled with homesickness and depression. I can have a negative attitude at times which I know doesn't help. My husband is so good to me and has been an absolute saint through all of this, though. Always been there to support me. I'm very close to my family so it has been hard. My parents both turned 70 this year (they had me later in life), and while they are a very "young" 70 and it might not seem that old to some people, it just hit me that they're getting older and aren't going to be around forever. With the much larger distance now, I'm always worrying about them, as well as everyone else in our family.

Going home in a couple days for the holidays, so hoping that will cheer me up and recharge my batteries!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 03:25:32 PM »
Glad you're doing well! My year anniversary was in August. While I passed my UK driving test (automatic!) first time a few months ago, I am still struggling to find a job within my background. Currently, I have two part time jobs- one retail job that was just meant to be a temporary thing to tide me over for a bit, and a job as a learning support assistant at a local college (more within my field, but unfortunately the hours are just PRN/casual. Took it for the experience). I would absolutely love to have just one, full time job, so that's what I hope 2017 will bring!

I don't really have any friends here and I've really struggled with homesickness and depression. I can have a negative attitude at times which I know doesn't help. My husband is so good to me and has been an absolute saint through all of this, though. Always been there to support me. I'm very close to my family so it has been hard. My parents both turned 70 this year (they had me later in life), and while they are a very "young" 70 and it might not seem that old to some people, it just hit me that they're getting older and aren't going to be around forever. With the much larger distance now, I'm always worrying about them, as well as everyone else in our family.

Going home in a couple days for the holidays, so hoping that will cheer me up and recharge my batteries!
The not having friends thing has recently struck me hard. It was hard when everybody in the office was talking about going out tonight with friends, and I'm home alone. I keep hoping somebody will pop up on this forum close to me, but so far nothing. My husbands friends partners are all so stuck up too..I thought I'd instantly befriend them but I was wrong.

My Job isn't in my field, but it's a decent one so I'm ok with it.

I hope going home helps, and 2017 brings good things to you. I missm y parents more and more, it's hard to be away when your so close. But , I know (and I'm sure yours want the same) that they want me to be happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
Happy Anniversary! 

It's just past 2 years for me, so I don't really have recent 1st year experience, but it sounds like you're doing great to me.  I also failed my first (and second!) driving test, but passed on the 3rd try.  I'm now driving around pretty comfortably... except for those occasional brain farts that find me on the wrong side of the road - heh   :-X 

So.... in my experience, persistence pays off!    ;D

LOL - I hurt myself trying to pronounce that!  ;)

I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get comfortable driving lol I am so uptight when I do. Think our town has a roundabout every few meters (seriously though). Those get me nervous :x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 21
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 12:41:31 AM »
It took me a while to get comfortable driving here too (narrow roads, driving on the left, roundabouts), but now I'm fairly confident. I was so nervous when I first started driving here last December, it was like I'd never driven before! You'll get there! I'm fine with the "standard" roundabouts, but I do not like the huge multi lane ones. Some still intimidate me. They make me miss the good old fashioned intersections in the US  :)

Hopefully you find new friends in the new year. Luckily I get along fine with all my husband's friends and wives/girlfriends, but I see them more as acquaintances. I dunno... seems more difficult to connect with others here.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab