Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Seattle to London, potentially!  (Read 1741 times)

• Liked: 1
Seattle to London, potentially!
« on: December 21, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »
Hello all,

To start, my fiancee is inching closer to relocation to the London office of her Seattle-based company. We've been together for a little over 3 years, lived together for 2 years, have been engaged for 1 year, and will be getting married in Seattle in May 2017! We're not quite 100% sure that we'll become expats, but it's looking more likely than not that we'll be making the move sometime 1Q 2017.

As for me, I work for a German-based company with branches all over the world. Once she gets her official go-ahead I'll be approaching my company with the very real reality that I'll be moving and would love to stay onboard via our UK offices.

Obviously we're thinking up a storm of questions that we'll be posting in the appropriate sub-forums. Most have to do with the dreaded visa process. With what research I've done, if I were to also obtain sponsorship from my company this becomes quite straightforward and easy to understand. If I do not get sponsorship I'd be coming over on a visa tied to her and whether or not I could seek employment isn't very clear to me yet, but I'll keep digging!

We love the UK having vacationed in England and Scotland in 2015. I'm a massive football fan, and I'll out myself here be it good or bad for my safety, having supported Chelsea since 2007. The prospect of  being able to catch matches live, in-person on a semi-regular basis excites me.

I've browsed the forums for a few hours now and I'm very impressed by the wealth of knowledge that has been collected and shared. This is quite the community.

That's all for now. I'll update this post as our process marches on!

Cheers,
AJ from the PNW

• Liked: 4985
Re: Seattle to London, potentially!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 05:22:22 PM »
Yes, you would be able to work if you were a dependent on her visa.  In fact, you'd have a LOT more freedom than if you were on a work visa (can change company's, etc).  You'll just need solid proof that you've been living together for at least two years if not yet Married.

Living in the U.K. is definitely different than visiting.  But seems to be a bit easier for those from similar climates like the PNW!  I loved the UK as a tourist and I 'like' living here.  I don't love it.   ;)

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:40:36 PM »
Thanks so much, KFdancer. That's great information to have.

It would only be a 2 year assignment for her. We decided why not jump right in and make a major temporary life change before we have kids and settle down. It would be quite the experience. We have talked at length about potential challenges and difficulties and we continue to render that it would still be worth it. We have friends who have recently returned from a multi-year spell in London who absolutely loved it and came back vastly different people, in a good way!

The climates and weather of Seattle and London are eerily similar, so I'm sure in that regard we'll feel very much at home. Being from a very culturally and socially open city like Seattle we're very well equipped to be good guests

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:49:07 PM »
Keep in mind about different visa types.  If she is transferring with her current company, she's likely going to receive a Tier 2 ICT visa.  This is a visa that would allow you both to live in the UK for a maximum of 5 years and does NOT lead to settlement.  To then get on a settlement path, you would have to return to the US for a minimum of 12 months before reapplying to return.  Just something to keep in mind.  If you really love it here, you won't be able to stay long term.

Plenty of people absolutely love it here.  I tend to be neutral.  I can see the good and bad of life in the UK.  I can also see the good and bad of life in the US.  No where is perfect.  My big complaint is that I don't have a great work/life balance in the UK which has been hard for me.  Others have had the opposite experience and find a better work/life balance in the UK.  Seems very dependent on one's field.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
Keep in mind about different visa types.  If she is transferring with her current company, she's likely going to receive a Tier 2 ICT visa.  This is a visa that would allow you both to live in the UK for a maximum of 5 years and does NOT lead to settlement.  To then get on a settlement path, you would have to return to the US for a minimum of 12 months before reapplying to return. 

Or the person who comes as a Tier 2 ICT dependant, finds a sponsor for a Tier 2 General visa while they are in the UK. They will need a Restricted CoS for that visa and will have to return to the US to apply, but the person on the ICT visa can remain in the UK.

Once a Tier 2 General visa is granted, they enter the UK and person on the ICT visa then switches to their dependant. Under present rules, there is no 12 month cool off for a dependant. Both are then starting on visa that can lead to settlement.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:46:15 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
Update:

She's officially been offered the job! Now we start the relocation process which will take some time (6-8 weeks just for visas, we're told). More to come!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »
We now have our visas in hand!

Hers is a Tierc 2 ICT Long Term Staff Migrant visa and mine is a Tier 2 ICT Long Term Staff Partner.

I've done some Googling and it does look like I'll be able to work on this visa except as a doctor or dentist in training. Am I reading this correctly?

We plan to arrive in London on April 13-14 just in time for a nice long bank holiday weekend ;)

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »
Yes,you will have a lot less restrictions than your partner!  You can do virtually any job.   :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 05:15:37 AM »
We now have our visas in hand!

Hers is a Tierc 2 ICT Long Term Staff Migrant visa and mine is a Tier 2 ICT Long Term Staff Partner.

I've done some Googling and it does look like I'll be able to work on this visa except as a doctor or dentist in training. Am I reading this correctly?

We plan to arrive in London on April 13-14 just in time for a nice long bank holiday weekend ;)

Congratulations!

• Liked: 107
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
Congratulations.

One question....of all clubs, why Chelsea?! [smiley=puke.gif]
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 02:09:08 PM »
Congratulations.

One question....of all clubs, why Chelsea?! [smiley=puke.gif]

Hahaha, well I had always played football growing up and throughout highschool but had never been into the English league until college. I had a really good friend at school who was a die hard United supporter so he invited me over to watch the Community Shield in 2007, which Chelsea unfortunately lost on penalties. I was hooked after that!

As for choosing Chelsea, I guess I just wanted to be different than all my friends who only knew Man United. Even though Chelsea are an old club, they had that new boy, "no one likes us" swagger. I love that defiance to this day.

I'm looking forward to catching the closing matches of this season and celebrating a title!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »
Hahaha, well I had always played football growing up and throughout highschool but had never been into the English league until college. I had a really good friend at school who was a die hard United supporter so he invited me over to watch the Community Shield in 2007, which Chelsea unfortunately lost on penalties. I was hooked after that!

As for choosing Chelsea, I guess I just wanted to be different than all my friends who only knew Man United. Even though Chelsea are an old club, they had that new boy, "no one likes us" swagger. I love that defiance to this day.

I'm looking forward to catching the closing matches of this season and celebrating a title!

My father was a Mexican national so football is my go-to sport. My husband is from Greater Manchester so he and our son are Manchester United supporters. I haven't told them that I secretly like Tottenham Hotspur. Shhh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »

Nobody liked them because a billionaire bought them where money was no issue  ;). However, most teams are headed that way now, even Manchester United.

It's a tactic that has worked well for Chelsea. I'm a Liverpool supporter so I've watched them plenty of times at Anfield. One thing that you need to help them with is their chants! 'Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea' seems to be their only chant haha. English football for me is the most exciting sports league in the world. You've chosen well  ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:05:21 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 585
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 01:26:44 PM »
One thing that you need to help them with is their chants! 'Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea' seems to be their only chant haha.

Don't forget 'Blue Is The Colour'!
Glasgow Rangers supporter, here.... my English team is Tranmere Rovers.  :)

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »
Don't forget 'Blue Is The Colour'!
Glasgow Rangers supporter, here.... my English team is Tranmere Rovers.  :)
I like to go and watch Tranmere from time to time when Liverpool aren't playing as I love how lower league football is played. Plus, it's in walking distance to me. Cheap ticket, pie and a beer, bit of footie on a Saturday. Perfect.
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

Sponsored Links