Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sigmund Freud's great-granddaughter complains about American food  (Read 699 times)

• Liked: 533
Are chocolate covered fries popular now in the US? I have never heard of this practice. Don't get me wrong....I would try them...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4072332/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Emma-Freud-leaves-U-S-sour-note-rant-American-eating-habits-New-York-supermarkets.html
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 111
Re: Sigmund Freud's great-granddaughter complains about American food
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »
Not popular but I've seen it around. My daughter dunks her French fries in her Wendy's Frosty so I imagine it is the same sort of thing.

That woman wrote a monthly commentary about her "culinary gap year" in BBC Good Food magazine this past year. She tried all the sort of food fads in NYC and passed her opinion about "American" food. She was occasionally complimentary but a woman who turns her nose up at green bean casserole is not a woman whose opinions I care to know. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 12:48:01 PM »
Not popular but I've seen it around. My daughter dunks her French fries in her Wendy's Frosty so I imagine it is the same sort of thing.

That woman wrote a monthly commentary about her "culinary gap year" in BBC Good Food magazine this past year. She tried all the sort of food fads in NYC and passed her opinion about "American" food. She was occasionally complimentary but a woman who turns her nose up at green bean casserole is not a woman whose opinions I care to know. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that the same woman who couldn't wait to return to the UK to have a really rare hamburger?  Which I believe is not allowed here?   ::)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 02:28:38 PM »
Are chocolate covered fries popular now in the US? I have never heard of this practice. Don't get me wrong....I would try them...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4072332/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Emma-Freud-leaves-U-S-sour-note-rant-American-eating-habits-New-York-supermarkets.html
I have never heard of that one...

Dipping your hot fries in a frosty I have done as well, but not always. I prefer salty to sweet. Haha

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 11:02:27 PM »

I did this all the time too, works with vanilla ice cream as well lol. (I can't eat either any more) Yet chips with mayo still makes my stomach turn. I hadn't seen anything like she described though, with chocolate and marshmallows. Give me poutine (cheese curds & gravy on chips) any day over that. :)

A lot of her judgements make it sound like she was looking in the wrong area of the supermarket for certain things, and shopping cheap. Baked beans are in with ketchup, mustard and other bbq staples. The cheap foods are loaded with sugar, and homogenized milk is gross, but organic whole milk is readily available and exactly like what you would find in an english market. Most cheeses are imported, but there are some good american ones from smaller companies - anything mass produced is gross. We don't have any traditional english foods unless you go to a specialty english restaurant, as you would expect in a foreign country. Sounds like she was expecting America to be more like England and was disappointed that we are different. I can actually buy all the processed things she missed at my local supermarket in their international foods section. *shrug*

Sponsored Links