Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Low Carb foods  (Read 2066 times)

• Liked: 674
Low Carb foods
« on: December 31, 2016, 04:18:47 AM »
For health reasons, we're on low-carb, so here in the States that means I do a lot of cooking "from scratch". Which is ok, I like to cook.  Recently I've discovered the wonderous gift to the world that is almond flour - which allows me to make cookies, pastries, etc., that are really good AND really low carb.  Is it hard to find the low carb flours - Almond, etc. - in the UK? Also, the sugar substitutes like Truvia or erythritol?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:22:59 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 585
Re: Low Carb foods
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:37:17 AM »
I'm a part-time low-carber... hoping to go full-time in the new year.
Almond flour is just ground almonds here... hasn't been difficult to find, but the packets are small.  I have ordered coconut flour from Amazon, as well as xylitol, in larger quantities.   I haven't tried the 2 sweeteners that you mention, but I would expect you'll find them on Amazon/online.  I've seen some brand of stevia in supermarkets, but not sure if it's Truvia.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 08:34:34 AM »
If you can't find what you need at your local supermarket, here's just one of a range of online suppliers: https://www.carblife.co.uk.

Good luck with your move :)

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »
Thanks!

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 03:57:05 PM »
I got the BEST coconut flour I found in the UK at Costco.

Everything else was too coarse to work well!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
Definitely get a Costco membership!  It saves the day on lots of things.  Though I went today for an item, they didn't have it, and I still managed to spend £138!

My husband has to eat gluten free. (Poor guy).  A great website to get used to where to find things is mysupermarket.co.uk

• Liked: 12
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
DH is finding low-carb difficult as so many of the foods he likes and thought were healthy (e.g. bananas) are pretty high in carbs.  Haven't started looking for flour substitutes yet.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
Yep, it's hard to do.  A lot of the things you should eat, even on a low carb diet (such as fruit and veg) contain carbs. So you have to be mindful of every bite you take.  We've been told that having protein at the same time as your carb will slow the digestion of the carb somewhat, so lessen it's impact on blood sugar. But you still need to watch portion sizes of everything. And pre-made foods, things out of cans or boxes, are a nightmare.

For home-baking treats, such as cookies, cakes, or brownies, blanched almond flour is my go to now.  I also use rolled oats, which contain carbs but have enough fiber that it cuts down the carb impact a bit.  Flax meal is almost completely devoid of carb count, high in fiber, but the resulting baked good resembles horse feed.  ;)  If you like old style, scrape-your-throat-as-they-go-down muffins, flax meal is your ticket. Healthy, but only marginally edible. (You can sneak a small amount of it into other recipes, though, to pull up the fiber content.)

What we've been told is that you can subtract the grams of fiber in a food from the total carb count, and use the result as the "true" carb count. And if there are sugar alcohols used as sweetener (maltitol, etc - they usually end with a "tol") you can subtract 1/2 of the grams of sweetener from the total carb count as well.

You can get almond meal, which is not as finely ground and still has bits of the brown part of the nut, and it works well in cookies, but they have a more dense texture than the almond flour.  I've tried coconut flour, not too impressed with it. You have to use strong flavors in the recipe or everything tastes vaguely of coconut. And it's a moisture hog - you have to add extra moisture to your mix or it comes out a brick when done. Oh, the one catch with the Almond flour/meal - low carb does not equate to low-calorie. ;)

I did find a link to a program that will show the nutrition of any food or recipe you put in  http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator  . It has a box to put in the number of servings for the total amount you enter, so you can calculate, say, the carbs in a single muffin if you just add the amounts of every ingredient into it. It's really handy - I've developed a recipe for nice chocolate cookies that comes in at about 5 carbs per cookie so feel no guilt about having a couple with tea in the evening.

As far as artificial sweeteners, we've tried stevia, xylitol, and erythritol (which, apparently, is zero carbs in the counting scheme). Truvia makes a baking mix that is a combination of stevia, erythritol, and a bit of cane sugar, so baked goods come out properly. It's supposedly got 70% less calories than "real" sugar, but I've yet to be able to find out the exact proportions of actual sugar in it from any source. It does work well, though. I find that xylitol leaves a weird aftertaste, as does most stevia. The kiddo has bad reactions to Aspertame/Splenda, so we can't use those.

In the recent past some of the stevia companies seem to have found a way to reduce the aftertaste - not sure what they are doing, but I've had a few commercially made items  (Hubert's lemonade, for one) made with it lately that I could not tell contained it. (YEA!)

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »
Thanks for the store referrals, by the way. :)  Will definitely check them out if/when we arrive.
(Application is submitted, now just chewing fingernails waiting. At least they are low-carb.)

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 10:31:57 AM »
When you get to the UK,  Nan, you'll find the nutritional info labels are different. The fibre is already subtracted, so the carbs on the label are the true carbs.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »
Oh, that's really handy!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
Oh, that's really handy!

You can read about UK v US labels here Nan, where a UK nutritionist is explaining it to a US citizen..
http://uk-forum.atkins.com/community/forums/thread/3175/uk-net-carbs

I'm sure they will be also be able to help you with anything you can't find if people on here don't know.

I went low carb a couple of years ago after a talk on here with sonofasailor about the evils of sugar after I read a report on carbs v fat from the person who advises the NHS. I can't help with sugar substitutes or Almond flour as I don't do that.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
You can read about UK v US labels here Nan, where a UK nutritionist is explaining it to a US citizen..
http://uk-forum.atkins.com/community/forums/thread/3175/uk-net-carbs

Thanks for that! I've been low carb/whole foods for many years. Became allergic to almond flour & tree nuts, and a bunch of seeds in the last year after 10 years of being able to use them safely for an occasional treat/snack. I did see a number of specialty flours at planet organic when I was visiting, but it was $$$ so I didn't bother.

Coconut flour you usually need to use about 1/4 of the amount of flour and more eggs than a regular recipe calls for. I only use recipes from bloggers who use it regularly to avoid recipe fails. :)

I found that for myself, around 100g of carbs a day from whole food sources is the best for me, usually in line with what's allowed on the SCD diet. Women have to be cautious about going too low carb/keto because it can cause thyroid & other hormone issues long term.

Depending on the issues, you might be interested to know there's actually more research on SCD for healing IBD and crohns. http://pulse.seattlechildrens.org/novel-diet-therapy-helps-children-with-crohns-disease-and-ulcerative-colitis-reach-remission/

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 01:49:51 AM »
In case it's of use to anyone, I just twiddled up an easy low-carb chocolate cookie recipe tonight that came out pretty well. (I've done similar ones, and added all sorts of essences in - orange is nice -  for holiday cooking.) Thought you might enjoy these.

3 cups blanched almond flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
dash of salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
a bit less than 1/4 cup truvia baking blend (say, 3/4ths of a 1/4th cup measure)
cap full of a good vanilla extract
3/4ths cup softened butter
1 egg

Mixed all together, used a small scoop to make the cookies - 2 dozen exactly.  I do flatten them on the baking sheet a bit before baking at 350F for about 12 minutes.

Using the recipe nutrition calculator online, it comes up to about 110 calories per cookie, at 6 carbs.   They are kind of delicate until they cool off, when they are less prone to fall apart.

Came out pretty good, took less than a half hour from start to wash-up.

Enjoy!  (PS, they are never as good when they come out of the oven as they are after they've cooled off a bit. Better the next day, actually - no idea why.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:18:54 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 09:25:47 PM »
truvia baking blend

Is this just a granulated/powdered sweetener?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab