Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can Trumps inaugaration be watched in public in London?  (Read 3623 times)

• Liked: 1891
Where can Trumps inaugaration be watched in public in London?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
I see an election that was thrown by the Russians. 

I see a President that is being blackmailed by the Russians because they have a video of him watching hookers wee on each other.

Those two things are at least %90 likely to be true.  If I read this post 5 months ago, I would think the person who wrote it was insane but now it is our everyday reality

I could go on, but I can't think of anything else that's nearly as important.

We are screwed. The best we can hope for is that Trump concentrates on corruption rather than breaking the country.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:41:10 PM by jimbocz »

Re: Where can Trumps inaugaration be watched in public in London?
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »
Re Hillary, I may have skated close,  but I didn't actually say that.

Saying that Texas's contribution was tl;dr-worthy was IMO the greater insult, but it's not my place to take offence...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:44:01 PM by conjunctionjunction »

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »
A couple of early birds at the embassy protest when I walked by a half hour ago. Will be swinging round again.

I like the sign a woman was carrying that said YUGE MISTAKE. She didn't look like a Bernie Bro.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »
Re Hillary, I may have skated close,  but I didn't actually say that.

"Hillary won't be magically summoned..."

You've stopped skating and just fell in!

I did try to be nice about the TLDR.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »
If I can paraphrase, I think, what Connie J is saying - it is our own failure.

"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable."

- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »
Alas I haven't downloaded enough Sun Tzu into my brain to formulate a reply.*

I'm happy to be quoted Jim.

Embassy update: Just heard someone gazing up at the gigantic eagle (35 foot wingspan; I looked it up earlier) say "Can't deny a little imperial tendency when you see that."

*on reflection, no reply necessary, except to quote the Fonz: Exactamundo(sp?)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:38:09 PM by conjunctionjunction »

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »

I'm happy to be quoted Jim.

That was a quote!  It's just not in the little grey box because it would take me half an hour to delete the rest of your wall of text with this dumb phone keyboard. 

Never mind, I'm done arguing.  You aren't even a Trump supporter!  I'm going to look at your rabbit pictures for a while.

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
I'm going to look at your rabbit pictures for a while.

I provide those as a public service for just this eventuality. Enjoy!

Poor bunny's home alone today.
What am I saying poor bunny - he's almost certainly fast asleep, dreaming dreams of luscious greens while I'm out here freezing my fumbling fingers off.
 I hear you about dumb phone keyboards. How some of you can post as much as you do on phones is beyond me. Are you dictating to your iPhone secretary?

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »
Are you dictating to your iPhone secretary?
That would be popular in my office.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 04:20:03 PM »
Texas2uk, I admire your desire have a discussion amongst friends, and the dedication it must have taken to write it.  I agree with some of it, not other bits of it, but then it just got too long to read.  I'd like to make a friendly suggestion that if you keep it shorter next time, people might find it easier to discuss.

Fair enough. You just don't know how bad I'd rather be writing that, or gouging my eyes out, or literally anything else besides studying for the bar.

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
London Calling on the sound system. Paparazzi out in force. PowerBooks dot the landscape.

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »
Fair enough. You just don't know how bad I'd rather be writing that, or gouging my eyes out, or literally anything else besides studying for the bar.
Ha!  I get it now, one day you'll be getting paid by the hour to give a talk like that. 

I've been listening to NPR and my local station is Charlotte.  Apparently there's a law school in Charlotte that's self-destructing in a cloud of fraud allegations.  Have you heard of it?

By the way are you coming out tomorrow?  It's going to be a spectacle wether you think it's necessary or not.

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »
Did I mention that I carried the bags of Chief Justice Rehnquist ?  He was not pleased with my moaning about Clarence Thomas.  Ruth Bader Ginsburg was slightly more fun if I remember correctly.

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »
Ha!  I get it now, one day you'll be getting paid by the hour to give a talk like that. 

I've been listening to NPR and my local station is Charlotte.  Apparently there's a law school in Charlotte that's self-destructing in a cloud of fraud allegations.  Have you heard of it?

By the way are you coming out tomorrow?  It's going to be a spectacle wether you think it's necessary or not.

Yeah it's a bottom tier for-profit school. There's a push from ABA (disclosure: I was an ABA officer last year) that the dept of education has started to put teeth behind.

At a decent law school it costs 180k for a 70-80% bar passage rate, which gets 50% of grads a 60k or better job. If law school were free, half of grads would be better off financially if they didn't go. At current prices, it's about 10-15% that end up better off. And that's good school's.

Charlotte has lowered entrance requirements so low to get paying students that their bar passage is in the gutter and their graduates can't find work. Now dept of ed has pulled their access to fed financial aid for students. And they did it mid year so most students are dead in the water. Probably it will be forced to close. The same company owns I think 5 other law schools. All terrible.

There are other terrible schools who are non-profit or public who have lowered requirements too far, but they fail out a significant portion of their first year class so those that survive & continue to accumulate debt are at least capable of passing the bar and possibly maybe if they're lucky getting a job. A lot of schools are starting to award a (worthless) master of legal studies degree for students who don't continue beyond the 1st year - consolation prize.

Personally I'm at a top 50 school with respectable grades and getting licensed in Texas, England/Wales, & NY to go with over a decade as a real estate developer. So, I hope that sets me apart and makes me more marketable to firms. So far it has opened plenty doors, but it has still been a good word from someone else that ended up landing me jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
Did I mention that I carried the bags of Chief Justice Rehnquist ?  He was not pleased with my moaning about Clarence Thomas.  Ruth Bader Ginsburg was slightly more fun if I remember correctly.

That's pretty interesting though. Most of them are really interesting to be around, regardless of how they tend to rule on cases. RBG is teaching at a study abroad program in Prague this summer. Roberts or Thomas did it last year, but it was Scalia for several years before that. I would have loved to do a program like that, but alas I've always had a full plate.

Scalia, love him or hate him... I like that he hired lots of liberal clerks to argue case interpretations with him before deciding, or at least writing, opinions.

I'm still in Houston till this summer & then getting married to my British fiancée, so no festivities for me in London or otherwise. At least not today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links